Something Wrong With Mr. Bun Bun's Testical Surgery?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SablePoint

Reaction score
Mr. Bun Bun, my 9 year old rabbit just got neutered last week because he had a testicle that grew very large and the other one was shriveling inside him. The vet said it was cancer. Thankfully, after his exam, little Bun Bun, even though very old, was healthy enough to get his surgery! And he is doing great!

But... today I looked at the remaining skin of his testicles, and it appears there's a dark purple/bluish spot on one of them. Is that an infection or something? I made Bun Bun an orthopedic rug-bed made with egg crate foam cause he has arthritis and he likes it too - but like with all beds and pillows I've given him - he soils them with pee(he's very lazy when it comes to getting out of his bed to use his litter box)! It's not an open wound, and his cage is clean and the bed isn't like soaked. The skin is normal texture, just there's a dark spot. It worries me. I don't know if Bun Bun could go through another surgery(if that is what requires).

Does anyone know what it could be?

I'm also guessing it's just a little bruising which certainly isn't uncommon after surgery. You could try icing it a bit if he'll let you.

Another possibility is that you're seeing internal sutures through the skin. Vets use stitches that will dissolve over time, and some of them are dark in color. One that is popular is actually purple. Rabbit skin is very thin, so you might be able to see the stitches through the skin. This would look like a small, defined dark area, rather than a larger, diffuse dark area (that would be a bruise). Icing can't hurt, though. We did 15 min once or twice a day for 3-4 days after surgery for our little Ben. An infected area would probably look red and angry first before looking dark in color. It could also be some clotted blood. My best guess is suture material, though. There are many layers of tissue that the vets sew together and they typically use these sutures for that, with tissue glue on the outermost layer of skin only.

Thanks guys! I feel alot more relived! Nancy - Bun Bun is doing great! He actually still humps his stuffed animal and buzzes around. Gotta throw out that pillow I made for him though(it's too big for the washer), I thought it was just the litter boxes getting a little stinky cause I was a few days late on cleaning them - turns out it's Mr. Bun Bun's pillow! He really likes beds and I really wish he would stop being so lazy and use his litter box - I mean, it's just a few hops away!

Latest posts

Back