Something wrong with Black Jack's ear...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatever4andnomore

Reaction score
2 weeks ago I had taken Black Jack, my mini rex, in to get neutered. Lo and behold he also had an abscess along his jaw line. The vet took care of both surgeries at the same time and he recovered just dandy, came home and behaved as if nothing happened. His abscess wound is healing very nicely, no redness or soreness. The scab is gone as well and his fur is even starting to grow back. There is no sign of the abscess coming back.

However, I noticed over the last week that he seems to favor the ear that is on the same side as the abscess. He would lay it flat on against his head and sometimes shake his head. Then it would go back to normal. He is definately favoring more and more, and shaking his head more as well. In fact, since yesterday, he doesnt really lift his ears in their normal erect position. He is also shaking his head more.

He has eaten and behaved as always, including a romp at the pet store yesterday and a quick romp in the first dusting of snow fall. (He really liked it!) I am really concerned about this and am wondering what it could be. His ears were fine when I took him in to the vet for surgery, and he didn't start favoring til a week later. I cannot afford to take him to the vet until I get paid on Friday, and even then it might not be til saturday that I could possibly get him in. Any suggestions?

water in his ear this long? I am not sure how that would happen or even what to look for. Is there something over the counter to give him for it?

Do you know if the the vet did head/ dental x-rays prior to the surgeries.? A jaw abscess is often caused by a tooth/gum infection affecting the jawbone. Usually antibiotics ( and strong ones) like injectable Bicillin and maybe an additional oral one would be administered for a lengthy period of time to ensure that the infection is gone. Abscesses are notoriously difficult to treat without drugs.

Now the 2nd problem definitely sounds like an ear infection and/or ear mites )A rabbit can have an ear infection that is not detectable by examination . Sometimes there is just not anything to culture.

Whether these 2 different issues are related I cannot say. But it is possible that lowered immunity from multiple surgeries may have decreased resistance to infection

If it is an ear infection you need to get back to the vet and get her on antibiotics before the infection affects the inner ear and the multiple issues that result from that. ( head tilt etc)
If your vet already knows you and your bun possibly she will allow you to pay a little late.

Latest posts

Back