Something is wrong

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyabrooke

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am worried about my rabbit Horatio. He is normally very full of life and keen to come out and play with me whenever it is play time. He is usually out around 4 times a day for around an hour each because we are trying to toilet train him after just getting him 3 weeks ago. He is almost 3 months old and loves to be cuddled and petted and is keen for attention. Today though, he is very disinterested in coming out of his house at all. He had a little play this morning, but then it was right back into his cage and then into his house. I have taken him out a few times to nurse him and when I put him down he hops straight back into his house. He is still eating and weeing, but I haven't seen any poops since 9am and it is now almost 4pm. He usually isn't really a day pooper, but I am a little more worried today as his behaviour has changed. I felt his tummy and it feels firm but not hard. I will listen to it tonight with a stethoscope when my partner comes home and we can tell if his gut is still moving properly.

He still seems generally happy and healthy though - no signs of pain and still flops down for a big nap in his house. He was out for a little bit just a few minutes ago and ate some pellets and hay and did a wee and then went back inside to groom in his house and sleep. I have also removed his oats bowl just in case eating too much of them has made him sick.

Does anyone have an ideas as to what might be wrong? I know it sounds like he is just sleepy today, but this is just a bit odd for him. He is a sleepy bunny yes, but often he will come and sleep beside me in his play pen and still have a run around. No running today at all :(

T

Just an update - He has pooped and seems almost back to normal now! He has been out and playing with his toys and had a little nap in his tray.

Sorry I put it here, I wasn't really sure if he was sick or something else was wrong. I still don't really know! But it couldn't be stasis could it if he is pooping normal? He is also doing mini binkies!

T

Just to add as well: He has been drinking his pee a lot today which I have never seen him do. Can that be a sign of not enough nutriants in his diet? He isn't on veggies yet because he is still young, but should I start him on one kind soon and see which ones agree with him and which ones not if he is low on good nutrients? He eats a lot of hay, pellets and oats in his normal diet.

He seems pretty normal now. Still sleepy which is normal for him. A little more keen to play and explore but he isn't as keen on being out in the play pen as he sometimes is. Should I just leave his crate door open to the pen for a while so he can come and go as he pleases? Usually he is only allowed out when I can watch him so he can toilet train better, but if he isn't keen on coming out when I'm there then he will hardly have any time out!

Thanks for any advice! Oh and lots of normal poops now too so probably not GI stasis?

T

Glad to hear Horatio is back out and about doing all his "normal" stuff. Maybe he had a bit of a tummy ache so that's why the "hiding" occurred. But you were smart to think there might be something a miss. You are getting to know your bunny and behavior that is "out of the norm" is an indication.

Hoping Horatio continues his sweet ways. Maybe too much oats could have been the ticket, but you never know. I'd stick with the basics for a day or two and just observe.

K:)

Thanks Karen I think I will just keep a close eye on him. At first I thought he was just sleepy and maybe wasn't use to me being home more during the day (usually I am out at uni or work until the afternoon), and was used to sleeping more, but then when he would just go straight back to his house even when he was out with me I knew something was up! Even when he is tired and he is out, he will usually just lay next to me or close by so I can stroke him to sleep :p

There shouldn't be something seriously wrong if he is pooping and peeing normally right? I was worried it could be stasis at first but I think he is just more of a night time pooper :p

Either way I will just watch him and make sure nothing drastically changes and give his oats back in a few days if he seems to be okay. Maybe limit them a bit more though - he does love those oats! But he eats his pellets more even when he has oats though which is good :D

T

I think whatever he was going through has passed if he's pooping and peeing normally. You have a good plan now to make sure he continues being your Sweet Horatio.

K:)

It could also have been gas. If his pellets are good quality and he's getting hay, he shouldn't be lacking in his diet.

Latest posts

Back