Something is wrong with my rabbit and I need help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karencita

Reaction score
I am in central Florida and cannot get veterinary help likely until Tuesday due to the hurricane.
This morning I noticed one of my rabbits was having trouble walking and not eating as much as she usually does. She has gotten worse as the day has progressed. She is laying with all 4 legs sticking out. I can't figure out what is wrong with her or what I can give her in the meantime to manage pain. I am an experienced wildlife rehabber and have medications on hand for emergencies. I just don't have a lot of experience with domestic rabbits (she is a rescue). Any advice appreciated. I may be losing power soon, my lights have been flickering so if anyone experienced can reach out to me I can give my phone number privately.

Here's to hoping you guys are ok!

The most common pain medication used in rabbits is Meloxicam, but it sounds like she needs more than that. Do you have critical care on hand to force feed her? Could you soak pellets in water and put that in a syringe?

She did eat some this morning, just not as much as usual. I am about to feed them again and I will see if she will eat. I do keep Critical Care and could give fluids subcutaneous if needed.

A few meds I have on hand that I think are used with rabbits are Metacam, Metaclopramide, and SMZ. I am just not sure if it's ok to give these without knowing the condition. With wildlife there are certain things I will give in a case where I don't know what the condition is but to cover some bases until we get to a vet. I have heard rabbits are a bit unique with meds they can take, so hoping someone can advise if it would be harmful to give these.

If her general mood is alert and she is able to eat well with some help, she could have something called floppy rabbit syndrome. It can cause general muscle weakness while the rabbit usually remains pretty alert and responsive. It is thought to be due to low potassium and usually resolves in a week with supportive care of syringe feedings of oxbow critical care, and keeping the bun clean. Some people will also give a bit of banana to boost potassium levels.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Floppy_Rabbit_Syndrome.htm

If she is somewhat lethargic or very lethargic, that is much more serious and would be difficult to know what exactly could be going on without a vet checking her out. All three meds you listed are commonly used to treat rabbits. I can't advise on whether or not you should use them, but I can provide links for dosing info for rabbits. If it were me, I would in the least want to give the metacam/meloxicam in case what is happening is due to pain or inflammation. Sub q fluids might be helpful as well.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/List_Vols/Lagomorphs/List_Lagomorph_Drugs.htm
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits

Thanks. When I went to check on her after I put some greens in front of her she was half sitting up... her back feet were sticking out a bit funny but at least she was not fully spread out how she had been for hours. She seems alert, got very excited to get the banana and ate it right up so I suppose that's good. She is still in the same spot of the blanket that I set her on, so I don't think she can do much more that prop herself up with her front legs like she is right now.

Latest posts

Back