Something is possible happening ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't know what to do.
Before the hot weather arrived, the setup was the following.
After spending night in garage (where they have rugs, hiding boxes, litter boxes, and so on, its rather comfortable there, my bunnies love their garage) I was letting them out when the morning arrived, depending on the weather. Then, they were supposed to have some free range grass grazing time. After some time (about 9am), I was serving their morning veggies. They have a rug under the deck (it's comfy there too) where I would place their tray with veggies, water (they never drink), and so on. After this, they would usually nap till later time (under the deck or under the bush). In the evening, they always came out to have some play time and grass time in the yard, I like to hang out with them during this time, offering them some treats etc... then finally when the darkness falls (Around 9pm), it was time to go back into garage (they were going on their own, in and out, without need to be picked up I mean) where I was serving their evening veggies, pellets, and water. Oh, in garage we keep a lamp on all night long (like a night light). I know that they usually didn't sleep during the night or maybe they napped, and usually they would be finishing their veggies before morning hours. (are rabbits supposed to sleep at night? is it a bad idea to have a light on all night?)
This was our ideal, uncomplicated setup, and Thumperina was doing OK all colder months.

Now changes that we had to make with beginning of summer and beginning of hotter weather
The temps were bearable till about noon (veggies are still served under the deck in the morning), then I would either bring them in the house or into garage where I have portable AC unit (it cools down OK when it's not super hot outside) for the day
At about 7.30 - 8pm it was cool enough to let them out, and they loved it. Oh, to get them in and out of the house, i have to pick them up and carry them in (probably stressful).
When the darkness falls, its still too warm to send them into garage (none of us like the feel of AC unit). they keep hanging in the yard longer now. I stay there with them. I do serve their evening veggies in the yard but they barely eat them. Finally, I can bring them in, and it's between 10 and 11pm, same routine as before. AC for the night, or if it's under 70F we have another solution.

The last week its been super hot, with the heat index being way higher than the actual T. Humidity is building up in the air. Thunderstorms all around us but not where we are (haven't had any rain for some time). At 6am, it's good if it's 75F. May be higher with heat index. I let them out now very early, when it's not even fully light, to allow catch this "cooler" weather. Serving their favorite kale maybe at 8am. Thumperina now refuse morning kale (not sure what happened) - tried serving earlier, no luck. She is seen eating some grass, but I wouldn't say she eats sufficient amount. By 10, max 11am, I have to bring them inside, first into air-conditioned garage, then into the house. Still trying to push wet veggies into them. Sometimes have some luck , sometimes no luck. In the evening, even at 9pm when the sun sets, it's still "feels like" 90+. I still have been taking them out into the yard at 9m, thinking that they need to eat grass for water intake. But they just lying down and shaking. Finally bringing them into the house overnight (now garage AC unit can't cool it well enough). There is a dehumidifying pipe that drains water after AC unit takes it out of the air into the bucket. I am amazed how quickly it fills. During this super hot week they spend a day and then a night in the house. Veggies are served before night. sometimes they are good about eating them but not all the time.

So during this week Thumperina is giving my a very hard time. First of all, now she gets overheated much easier than she used to during previous summers (When she is seen panting). When I bring her in (if she is panting ) she keeps panting for some time (today I even misted cool water on their ears), then she's usually not exactly lethargic, but sort of passive, sitting very quiet, with breath barely detectable. I feed her critical care. I think she is somewhat dehydrated with all the heat and not eating much. I ordered sub Q fluids but it will take time to get it. When outside in the morning, I can see her eating some grass but obviously much less than she should. She is not good about eating veggies anymore - I don't know why. She is on metacam. I don't have an opportunity to feed critical care more than once a day. I already spend way too much time jiggling them around. Her poop is minimal. She is very picky about veggies choice. For example, yesterday I wasn't able to get good-looking Romaine. Got endive but nobody touched it (they ate endive in the past). I have made a decision not to let them out in the evening when it's about 90 or higher . You see, keeping them inside makes her depressed, taking them out when too hot makes her overheated.

Now answering this "An ultrasound would be a useful diagnostic tool at this point, but I wonder, if they don’t have the capability, and you don’t gave the funds, to perform surgery, is there really much point in diagnosis if there isn’t any way of treating? You seem t be managing symptoms okay with the system you are using now? Something to consider..."
I would like to know if she has cancer or not. If yes, how much it spread. Maybe she is ready to let herself go and I keep her here to suffer.

Tried to syringe feed some water in her. No success. She doesn't swallow and it all pours out of her mouth.

That is definitely a lot to think about!
In answer to your question, rabbits are crepuscular so are most active at dawn and dusk, so they will sleep on and off throughout day and night. There is no need to keep a light on for them as they have good night vision, but it also won’t cause any problems.
It does sound like she is suffering, and that’s even more difficult if you are also struggling to get fluids and critical care into her :( im so sorry for what you’re going through.
I fully understand your stance on the further testing, do you think that is something you will go through with then.
Sending you and Thumperina (and Paul) all my love xx

thank you Popsicle.
I am trying to specify about Meloxidyl dosage. Internet says 0.3-0.6 mg/kg, safe up to 1.5 mg/kg but it doesn't say if it's a daily amount or one time safe administration (I give it every 12 hrs). Could someone please help me with this? JBun? Popsicle?

I watched her now in the basement. she is not panting, but her breathing is still frequent. However, Paul also has breathing that is sort of frequent (about 2 times per second). I wonder if this can be a result of decreased water intake (I won't say dehydrated since both of them DO pee and she has lots of forces to push me when she doesn't want me to mess with her) but still they are not properly hydrated. Or should I necessarily suspect the worst pain/suffering because of her breathing?

This would normally be daily, but best just to check with your vet what they intended.
I can’t think of any reason why dehydration would cause an increased respiratory rate, it could easily just be because of the high temperatures. If there is a lot of pain you can also expect them to be sort of hunched up, teeth grinding, etc. If it is just fast breathing, and it’s both of them, I would imagine it’s more of a reaction to the heat. I don’t know for sure of course that’s just my guess.

thank you, their breathing is fast even inside the house and even when its not hot outside
the last time I took Paul in, the guy vet said that his increased rate could be due to drinking no water

I understand now - is the heart rate also increased then? It is difficult, when they don’t drink water, I feel for you :(

I would say yes. The heart rate is probably increased too.
They had a good outdoor time this morning 6 to 9 (if you call a good time when it's 77-80F)
that all we can do in this weather.

Yes it must be so hard with weather like yours! You’re doing the absolute best you can be!

I am afraid she is quite unwell. She breathes with her whole body and seems in pain/uncomfortable. Not eating much, except critical care I give her. All indoors.
I decided to give her Baytril, just in case she has something where AB can help. Going to see a doctor for sure on Monday... if she makes it. Giving metacam t00. Darn weather is still very hot.

Last edited:
Knowledgeable members,
what tests should I ask for in this situation?
should I opt for an ultrasound since the last Xray was not conclusive? she hasn't been to a vet since November (when i started this thread)

Last edited:
I’m so sorry she is suffering :( remind me, you have had X-ray, have you had any other tests? A blood test would be nice for sure. What do we suspect, does she’s have any specific symptoms or just generalised pain?

I think a general blood work was done back in November and didn't show any bad abnormalities.
Today I took them out at 6am in the morning and she started eating grass immediately. I didn't stay all the time outside to see how long/much she would eat but at least I saw her eating some grass. I have very bad night sleeping time and not quite well myself so I went back to catch a little more sleep. When I came back to the yard before 8, I offered them some kale, romaine, and a piece of carrot to each. Thumperina ate a piece of carrot but ignored the rest.
For sure, they miss their backyard. I saw her urinating , not much of urine but some and I don't think she was struggling too pee.
Later I tried to feed her some critical care but it was very hard. She bit me and drew some blood out of my finger which never happened before. I gave her 40 ml and let her go. I just don't want her to take baytril when her system is empty.
Symptoms: lying down and you can call it "slightly shaking" with all her body, breathing frequently, eyes are sometimes closed or almost closed. I think she was grinding her teeth yesterday a little bit.

I don't know if it can be just stress from drastic circumstances change (weather, housing, hours in the yard) + her unspayed hormones. But I doubt it.

Last edited:
when a rabbit doesn't eat much, and bacteria grows, is Baytril helpful against this bacteria or should it be a different AB?

if she has Clostridium growing , Would Baytril make more harm than good since it's wiping out her good flora? JBun?

Trying to find metronidazole for fish. Can i give it? What about activated charcoal? I have a feeling she is in that state when bad bacteria poisons her

If it’s a case of bad bacteria proliferating the best thing is to provide pre- and pro-biotics to encourage growth of healthy bacteria, rather than trying to kill the bad bacteria. And lots of hay, no sugary foods.
She is clearly in pain, it’s difficult to determine what is causing it :(

Metronidazole for fish? Why?
Activated charcoal is used to bind certain toxic substances, so unless she has eaten something poisonous it won’t be any use.

If it’s a case of bad bacteria proliferating the best thing is to provide pre- and pro-biotics to encourage growth of healthy bacteria, rather than trying to kill the bad bacteria. And lots of hay, no sugary foods.
She is clearly in pain, it’s difficult to determine what is causing it :(
and how am I supposed to make her eat lots lots of hay? I got it about carrot (good point).
I just mean, whatever caused her stop eating (could even be stress from all the changes) could get her in a state when now bad bacteria grew and her body is struggling fight toxins produced by bacteria + heat + drinking no water. Activated charcoal won't hurt, I think.
What could be a source of pre and probiotics? I am ready to try anything.
My fear is that even when I take her to the doc tomorrow, it won't make anything clear.

Another detail to her history: back in November I was seeing a little bit of blood in the litter box. Then it stopped. then I think I saw some small amount later once again (months later). But in general I don't see it anymore.

Latest posts

Back