Something happened today.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreezeNkody

4 Fuzz-Butts
Reaction score
So today I was at work,and I got a text msg saying "you need to call me ASAP" So I ran to the phone and called home. My boyfriend was off today and Let gunner out of his cage into his xpen. Well apparently Gunner had figured out that one side of the pen wasn't zip tied to the cage and decided to go on an "adventure" it's what i'm calling it. Made his way into the spare room where I keep the other 3 buns. Tebow is not fixed nor is Gunner. My BF got up to let the dogs out and smelled a Skunky smell, my initial thought was **** my dogs got sprayed. But as it turns out Gunner and Tebow had an introduction. It was through the xpen. as i can see no one is bleeding, no hair missing nothing.
Tebow is not aggressive AT ALL even with still having his boys still, matter of fact my 3lb male dwarf showed him who was boss. So I guess my question is what do you all think of maybe putting 2 unfixed males together if they get along? I do plan on getting them both fixed, i'm just waiting on an application for a low income neuter project. They don't seem to want to kill each other. Do you think it'd work out? Gunner is 17 weeks old, Tebow is 3 or 4..:ph34r2

Two things occur to me- firstly, if they get along, there might be no harm in supervised playtime, but I'd be wary of having them unsupervised such as overnight. The other thing is that they may not get along with each other after they've both been neutered, as this is a significant change to them.

Oh i def wouldn't leave them together over night, I'm almost guarantee there would be a humping fest..lol so maybe I'll try a play time with them. And if they don't get a long after the neuter. No worries :) they all have a home. Just in case there is a fight what should I do??

If they fight you need to be able to separate them as they can seriously hurt or even kill each other. Usually a spayed female/ neutered male is the best combo for a bond.

Well I placed a panel between the 2 for a min or so, everything was fine. So I lifted the panels. No fighting, Gunner who is just about 4 months just humped the crap out of tebow. Who just took it, saw no aggression what do ever. But it can't be healthy to just let Gunner mount him all day. I do see a future of those 2 getting play time. They will be getting neutered this summer. Hopefully they'll still get a long. The 2 dwarfs don't like to be bugged because they are already bonded.

I'd use caution with two unaltered males. Even after neutering, they may still have issues being successfully bonded to one another. Typically, a neutered male and spayed female combo is best, but it is not a rule. Bunnies are individuals and it is possible to have a same-sex pair bond to one another. But, two males still going through growing pains has potential to be a recipe for disaster if they're not supervised.

I think beginning with short, supervised times of play is a good start. That way, they can get to know one another and you have the opportunity to break up any fights that may occur. Keep a small blanket or towel nearby in case you need to throw it over one of the buns in order to contain a fight and separate them. It doesn't sound like Tebow is aggressive, but things can always change. That's why supervision is important. But, it does seem like you have a good handle on that.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Even if the two can't be together all the time, maybe they would appreciate having a neighbor. It sounds like Gunner is looking to make friends and, hopefully, Tebow and he can do just that. But, in the meantime, short visits and play is as good a place as any to begin.

Latest posts

Back