Someone who is experienced with Horses.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loz n Ebony

Reaction score
If a horse is broken why do you put it down? Imean surely theres another way. A horse I knew and loved has been putdown becausehis knee was brokenand he couldnt walk. Isthere noway you could fixit? Why throw a whole life away.
I spose its fairer right? AmI being unreasonable?

Just wondering really if it could of healed.

Depending on what happened exactly, some thingsare not "fixable". In some cases it is fairer because the horse maylive with extreme pain and arthritis for years. They cannot run likenormal horses and have fun. Most of the time they are not even rideableafter. Some horses will not stand a cast on their leg, which is neededfor broken bones, and have to be put down to prevent them from hurtingthemselves more. If it couldn't walk, it was probably for the best.It's not fair to us, but it may be more fair to the horse. I know whatyou're going through, a pony a rode died while I was attending mysisters wedding of colic. It broke my heart, but at least he was nolonger suffering.

I know the feeling.

I haven't ridden in over a year because I couldn't stand losing anotherhorse, it's not an easy thing. It's still hard forme and Hercdied in November 2002.

i grew up w/ horses was born riding them prettymuch, somtimes injurys can be fixed but alot of the time theycant! it is sad but that is why you have to take good care of yourhorses dont take off running through a field with out knowingwhats out there one slip in a hole could greatly injure youand your horse!!!! sorry to hear about the loss, i personly never losta horse because of a broken leg but it would be a heartbroken!

Loz n Ebony wrote:
Awwww no way!!! Seriously? Ive been in heartbreak hotel overhorsesloadza times but you've just get back on thathorse!
I want to start again, but I'm not able to. My parents will not evenconsider allowing me to start riding again and I miss it dearly.There's always the future though when I can own my own horses, lol.

The horse wasnt mine he was a horse that i looked after every saturday.

Why wont your parents let u start again? If I didnthave my horses I would die. Its the most wonderful thing in hte worldto me. You should get back on a horse its the kinda thing you neverforget. Theres nothing quite like it in the world.

-L

xoxooxox

My parents say it's too expensive. I miss riding,especially jumping. In the 2 years and 9 months that I rode, I wasjumping up to 3'3" in shows. I will get back on in the future I'm sure.

Well you dont have to get your own horse. Justfind a riding stables and go weekley. My parents cant afford 4 me tohave a horse. *sobs*
You should restart! 3'3" is a very good hight Ive only jumped that oncein the (almost)eight years Ive been riding. But hey thatspublic riding stables 4 u.

Luv loz

xxooxox

Oh, I have never owned a horse. I rode lessonhorses at a near by stable for almost 3 years. I rode 4 horses thattime, 2 were sold,1 Iswitched off to start on abetter horse, and one died of colic. I only showed 3 times in that timeperiod. I used to jump 3'3" every lesson pretty much except on dressagedays that we practised ground work instead.

Sometimes they cant fix things .we put down ourpony a two years ago.She got a serious wound the wound was dirty itbecame infected she was an older animal to start with the vet advisedus to put her down i didnt want to hear that and tried to save her butin the end she was in to much pain and getting worse so she had to beput down anyway.bluebird

*cries*

I miss my horses SO much. That was the one major thing I gave up when Igot married since we didn't have the money to ship my girl across thecountry and keep her in boarding stables I had to sell her about a yearand a half ago. I haven't even ridden since the last time I took herswimming with me in my dad's pond. I miss it!

I also know what it is like to loose a horse... two of mine were hitsimultaneously by lightning back in August of 2000. One was a 4 yearold Arabian gelding with HUGE show potential that I had raised frombirth. The other was a beautiful black Tennessee Walking Horse that Ihad rescued from a family that didn't think a pregnant horse needed anyextra food other than grass! She was SO skinny when we got her and shehad just gotten back to the weight we wanted when the accident occured.My boyfried (now husband) had ridden her the day before and she wasSUCH an angel.. and if you've never ridden a gaited horse it is quitean experience! I think about those two all the time, they were SUCHgood horses.

Anyhow...back to Loz n Ebony's question sometimes there are veryextensive treatments that cost a LOT of money that can be done to helpa horse with a broken leg... however a knee injury would be muchharder, if not impossible to fix. These treatments require bringing thehorse to a hospital (oftentimes a University Vet School will do them,Auburn University in Alabama has a very good surgery and recovery forhorses). Then they have to do an extensive, oftentimes dangeroussurgery... the worst though is the follow up. The horse is placed in alarge padded room and strapped up so that just a tiny amount of his ownweight will be on the ground. Meaning the rest of the horses 1,000 lbsis being supported by a sling. They have to remain in this (stationaryin a large room) until the leg has healed enough for them the supporttheir own weight again.. often taking months. As you can see... oftenthe most humane and sometimes only option really is to put them downimmediately.

-Cheryl

OMG they both got hit by lightning?!!?! Thatsscary. And really sad. I cant believe you havnt got back on!! You MUSTget back on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once a horse rider always a horserider!!! I cant beleive you!! You should get back on!!pwwwweeeeeeeseeeeeee!!!!!!!!

-L

xoxoox

tramp i am sorry to hear about your loss my baby was an arabian also i miss her

when i am able to i will buy another arabian they are in my opinion the most loving beautiful horses!!

these are pictures of arabians i wanted to show everyone how beautiful they are

arab.jpg

arab4.jpg

arab7.jpg

AlgonkwinBaskXAlpaga-vi.jpg

I currently have three horses, two quarter horsesand an appaloosa. I love my horses very much, however it istrue that if they injure their foot or leg too badly there is nothingI, or anyone, can do. Horses extreme weight(1000-1500pounds or so) means that if they have one bad leg, it can'treally stand the pressure of walking under that much mass.Yes, there is always the option of casting the foot/leg.However, horses are very free spirited animals, and won't give ineasily to such "confinement" I fact, one of two thingsusually happens:

1- they continue to try to move on the leg, but a faster speeds, itsimply can't preform as it once did, causing the horse to fall andpotentially injure the other legs

2- they nag at the binding (sometimes even laying down) untill they cause it to get infected or even worse.

ANyways, although the option of helping the horse is possible, itreally has a very low success rate, and a very high rate of moretrouble for the human and horse (not to mention cost...)

I love horses! I used t go riding when I wasyounger but stopped for about 4 years. Then two years ago I did workexperience at a riding school and got back into it. I started going tothe school and working even when my placement had finished. The bestthing is teaching the little toddlers how to ride! The most painful...being bit on the behind while grooming the shetland! :shock::D

I'd love my own horse but I couldn't afford to :(I will one day!

Siobhan xXx

I'd have to say the most painful is being trampled by a 16.2 hh Warmblood, lol, and trust me, I would know!

lol, I have, well, it wasn't all that painfulbecause I got up and rode in the afternoon after it happened. But itcould have been a lot more. I have told people I was literally an inchfrom death, his hoof was that close to my head and had he landed on it,that probably would have been the end. I didn't know what happened, ithappened so fast that one minute he started charging at me and the nextI see his hind legs running away from me. According to my friend, whohad been standing maybe 10 feet away at the time, said she had seen himrear up and knock me down with his front legs and then stepped on myside while running me over, had she not told me, I would never haveknown. I was lucky that it wasn't painful really.

Latest posts

Back