Someone help me please- bun not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollandlopWinslow

Reaction score
My bunny hasn’t eaten since early yesterday morning so about 36 hours and he was still drinking water until about 8 hours ago but my vet said they can’t see him until tomorrow morning. I gave him simethicone drops once an hour for three hours and he had about 5 small poops and seemed better for a little bit. I have been doing belly rubs too but I’m scared to leave him tonight but I have to work. Anything anyone can suggest would help.

If your rabbit has not eaten anything in 36 hours, this falls under what is considered an emergency and he should be taken to a vet as soon as possible, whether this is you re-calling your vet and stressing that this is an emergency appointment or going to an emergency vet. At this point, a vet who may not be specialized in rabbit care is likely better than not going to a vet at all.

How long ago was the poop? It is positive to see poop, but your rabbit really needs to eat. Do you have Critical Care or pellets? While there are some concerns of adding something on top of a blockage (if there is a blockage), I feel going this long without eating warrants force feeding your rabbit something-- he needs to eat. This can be CC or a pellet mash, which you get from soaking pellets in water. This can also mean treats too, if that's all he's willing to eat. Has he been eating hay?

You either need to find a vet that will see your bun right now, or if you absolutely can't, like John Wick mentioned, I too would start syringe feeds now, even without a vet first ruling out a complete blockage. 36 hours is too long for a rabbit to go without eating.

I would first start with plain pedialyte or gatorade( the ones with no artificial sweeteners added) to help restore electrolyte and blood sugar levels because your rabbit is likely too dehydrated at this stage. Then use critical care feed mix if you have it, or make a pellet mush with warm water, and feed every 4 hours until you have to work, then feed immediately upon returning if your bun isn't eating on it's own by then. A wide tip feeding syringe will be needed for feeding the pellet mush, or it will clog. If you feel your bun is still having gas pain, I would also give some more simethicone.

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

If your rabbit has not eaten anything in 36 hours, this falls under what is considered an emergency and he should be taken to a vet as soon as possible, whether this is you re-calling your vet and stressing that this is an emergency appointment or going to an emergency vet. At this point, a vet who may not be specialized in rabbit care is likely better than not going to a vet at all.

How long ago was the poop? It is positive to see poop, but your rabbit really needs to eat. Do you have Critical Care or pellets? While there are some concerns of adding something on top of a blockage (if there is a blockage), I feel going this long without eating warrants force feeding your rabbit something-- he needs to eat. This can be CC or a pellet mash, which you get from soaking pellets in water. This can also mean treats too, if that's all he's willing to eat. Has he been eating hay?
Nothing. No hay. About 4 hours ago I began doing the pellet mash as I cannot get critical care until tomorrow either and by then I’ll have him at a vet he will eat about 2-3mL about every hour by syringe. And I am having to syringe water. He takes the water willing from the syringe but won’t drink on his own and he fights me on the food/mash.

Does his belly feel bloated at all? I would gently palpate right under the rib cage. If it feels like there's an inflated balloon, right at the bottom of the ribs, that is likely the stomach, and it means it's bloated, which then means you should stop syringe feeds. But also means it's a critical emergency.

If it's not bloated, I would continue small syringe feeds, but concentrate mostly on rehydrating with water and occasional pedialyte.

These were the poops and it was around 12 hours ago. I did just have quite a fight to feed him some water gas drops and mash mix before work as it was the first time I did it myself without help and I heard bubbles in his belly for the first time in a couple days

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 3
Does his belly feel bloated at all? I would gently palpate right under the rib cage. If it feels like there's an inflated balloon, right at the bottom of the ribs, that is likely the stomach, and it means it's bloated, which then means you should stop syringe feeds. But also means it's a critical emergency.

If it's not bloated, I would continue small syringe feeds, but concentrate mostly on rehydrating with water and occasional pedialyte.
It is still squishy. It feels harder lower down near his back feet like right below the front of his back hips.

As long as it doesn't look or feel distended, I would just keep up what you're doing, until your bun is either back to feeling better or you get to the vet, which ever happens first.

As long as it doesn't look or feel distended, I would just keep up what you're doing, until your bun is either back to feeling better or you get to the vet, which ever happens first.
I’m just so nervous. Luckily my bf gets off at 11 so he won’t be home for more than 4 hours alone. But I love him so much and will be so heart broken if something happens to him.

Thank you guys for all your help! I was so confident and happy that I have been fortunate enough to have no problems so far but I feel like I should’ve noticed sooner.

Thank you guys for all your help! I was so confident and happy that I have been fortunate enough to have no problems so far but I feel like I should’ve noticed sooner.
What matters most is that you are doing everything you can to help him since noticing the problem. Unfortunately some never notice these problems at all but you were attentive enough to detect something was wrong. :) Keep us posted on his progress/how the vet trip goes!

He began nibbling on some hay at around 9:30 and after rubbing his belly more this came out then these poops followed. Does anyone know what this is? Pics to follow. He is eating and moving around more normally now!:)

Attachments

• F3AE291B-A19C-4F13-B484-6FE2C598B127.png
    F3AE291B-A19C-4F13-B484-6FE2C598B127.png
    390.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 3BB68E17-7AC1-4B6A-9285-8097BE967346.png
    3BB68E17-7AC1-4B6A-9285-8097BE967346.png
    404.5 KB · Views: 7
Since he is eating and doing better do I need to take him to the vet? I am planning on it anyway but they want me to drop him off there and that scares me.

If it looks like a flat worm substance, it could very well mean your rabbit has a tapeworm. It's not common, but can happen in rabbits. And this would completely explain why your rabbit isn't feeling well. Treatment is with the dewormer, praziquantel, which you can get from your vet. I would suggest bagging that and store in your fridge, to bring to the vet tomorrow.

Medirabbit: tapeworm in rabbits

If it's not that then it could be a string of fur connected with mucous maybe, or a jelly mucous substance, which happens from irritation in the digestive tract when a rabbit has GI stasis. And as long as your rabbit doesn't produce a lot more of a jelly like substance like that, it should be ok as long as your bun continues to show improvement.

If it's not a tapeworm and he is continuing to act and eat more normally, usually it's an indication that whatever digestive upset occurred, is passing and the rabbit will be ok. But still keep a close eye on eating and pooping, as sometimes they can go downhill again if there is still a problem.

Personally, if it were me I would take him to the vet. My last bun had pinworm (did not look like that) but it was a very simple fix of medication the vet prescribed, and after treatment he was as good as new. The stool on the right does not look normal and would definitely be worth taking him in as it could very well be a parasite. Again, his other stool is a good sign, but I would still take him in and as stated before bring in both samples of stool to get the most out of the checkup.

If it's not a tapeworm and he is continuing to act and eat more normally, usually it's an indication that whatever digestive upset occurred, is passing and the rabbit will be ok. But still keep a close eye on eating and pooping, as sometimes they can go downhill again if there is still a problem.
He proceeded to have less and less mucousy poops after that. It is little like a lumpy booger I believe it is from his cecum cause he had like 2-3 more cecum poops after and they were less and less slimy and the last one was small but normal and he ate it.

Latest posts

Back