Someone Died........

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyBug

Reaction score

One of my friends e-mailed this to me and i just had to share:)

~A

Yes, Michael Jackson did pass away a week ago, ...and so did:

Army SSG Paul G Smith, 43, of East Peoria , IL
Army SSG Joshua A Melton, 26, of Carlyle , IL
Army SPC Chancellor A Keesling, 25, of Indianapolis , IN
Navy MCPO Jeffrey J Garber, 43, of Hemingford , NE
Army 1SG John D Blair, 38, of Calhoun , GA
Army SGT Ricky D Jones, 26, of Plantersville , AK
Army SGT Rodrigo A Munguia Rivas, 27, of Germantown , MD
Army SPC Casey L Hills, 23, of Salem , IL
Army 1LT Brian N Bradshaw, 24, of Steilacoom , WA
Army SPC Joshua L Hazlewood, 22, of Manvel , TX

This is written by a young soldier serving his third tour of duty in Iraq . Thought you might find his take on the Michael Jackson news interesting.

"Okay, I need to rant.

I was just watching the news, and I caught part of a report on Michael Jackson. As we all know, Jackson died the other day. He was an entertainer who performed for decades. He made millions, he spent millions, and he did a lot of things that make him a villain to many people. I understand that his death would affect a lot of people, and
I respect those people who mourn his death, but that isn't the point of my rant.

Why is it that when ONE man dies, the whole of America loses their minds with grief. When a man dies whose only contribution to the country was to ENTERTAIN people, the American people find the need to flock to a memorial in Hollywood , and even Congress sees the need to hold a "moment of silence" for his passing?

Am I missing something here? ONE man dies, and all of a sudden he's a freaking martyr because he entertained us for a few decades? What about all those SOLDIERS who have died to give us freedom? All those Soldiers who, knowing that they would be asked to fight in a war, still raised their hands and swore to defend the Constitution and the United States of America . Where is their moment of silence? Where are the people flocking to their graves or memorials and mourning over them because they made the ultimate sacrifice? Why is it when a Soldier dies, there are more people saying "good riddance," and "thank God for IEDs?" When did this country become so calloused to the sacrifice of GOOD MEN and WOMEN, that they can arbitrarily blow off their deaths, and instead, throw themselves into mourning for a "Pop Icon?"

I think that if they are going to hold a moment of silence IN CONGRESS for Michael Jackson, they need to hold a moment of silence for every service member killed in Iraq and Afghanistan . They need to PUBLICLY recognize every life that has been lost so that the American people can live their callous little lives in the luxury and freedom that WE, those that are living and those that have gone on, have provided for them. But, wait, that would take too much time, because there have been so many willing to make that sacrifice. After all, we will never make millions of dollars. We will never star in movies, or write hit songs that the world will listen too. We only shed our blood, sweat and tears so that people can enjoy what they have.

Sorry if I have offended, but I needed to say it. Remember these five words the next time you think of someone who is serving in the military;

"So that others may live..."

Isaac.

Well, he did alot more to touch peoples lives then entertain, he gave alot to charity and did great work for terminally ill children and he was found not guilty so he did nothing to be a villian. I have respect for all those people who have died around/on the same day as Michael but Michael was famous so that's really just the way it is, more people knew him so more people mourned for him.

i said that in a way to my brother 3 days after jaskson died.
to tell you the truth.. i got ***** off beacause every one make a fuss, but the 2 soilders who did that week. pht. we dont care...

i have a really close ex who was in the army for 3 years...he couldnt finish his full 4 years. i remember moving getting into bed while he was asleep and he would wake up and his face would be white...he would wake up and hold me and just cry sometimes too.

nobody realizes what those people go through and i could care a less how big michael jackson was and how he changed to music industry, my heart goes out to those peoples DYING for US..

It's about time someone ( a soldier nonetheless) stood up and got angry about this situation. I am a fan of many people (singers, actresses, actors) but they are people, just people. They may have contributed to charities. They may have sung at benefits and kudos to those that do BUT they didn't give the greatest sacrifice and die not only for those they love- but even greater- COMPLETE STRANGERS! I am sooo very proud of our soldiers and ashamed at how we often forget about them in instances like these. How totally human and totally ignorant at the same time..... So very sad. Thank you so very much for posting that. God bless our soldiers, past and present.

I am getting so sick of the obsession on the news with MJ. I turn off the station if they start talking about it, really.. what more can they say? Let the man rest in peace. I used to quickly watch CNN just to get up to date on everything.. and EVERY TIME I turn to it, all it is is Michael Jackson! My god!

I agree with the soldier.. I find the US really just pushes aside these kind of things, and it's really sad :(. I almost never hear about US war casualties, and I believe they deserve the respect of being honored by the country they are serving.

Hollywood is so twisted.. we glorify people for what.. they can act orsing or what not? There are so many people who do so much more than 'entertain'.. pretty sure the glory is misplaced. Humans are just weird in the obsession with celebrities.

irishbunny wrote:
but Michael was famous so that's really just the way it is, more people knew him so more people mourned for him.
That is true, but not everyone in the world mourned for him. I didn't. It was shocking and a bit sad but I didn't mourn in any way. And most of those people just knew his name and face and what he's done, not him in person.

I, too, hate how 'we' tend to glorify those who honestly haven't done anything dramatic that actually 'changes' our world, our country... I love to hear singing. I sing all day long to my children and they are my most important audience.
There have been so many people give everything for causes. The highest, most valued, most esteemed gift is giving one's life for others. If that isn't valiant I don't know what is. If that isn't worth a memorial I don't know what is. The moments of silence should go to those who truly deserve it! What does this say about our nation when we grieve a dead entertainer over soldiers and actual martyrs who have made an actual impact on the world we live in.
I worked at a nursing home a few years ago and there was one little old man whom I won't name.. He was bitter, he was angry and he truly had nothing wrong with him other than anger. Finally one day I happened to catch him at a weak point and I saw this man whom I had grown to dread caring for actually crying. He tried his best to be stoic and to stop when he saw me but he couldn't... I sat on the edge of his bed and just listened to him and I cried too. This man was a veteran and he had become bitter at society in general because not one person cared what he had done, what he had seen, what he had been through. He lost his best friend during the war and no one seemed to care. He was stuck in this 'place' and all the workers were so cold and callous to him. He didn't care as much that they didn't say thank you but he needed someone to acknowledge what he had given and what he had to endure when he saw his best friend killed in front of him for a society that didn't seem to care at all.... I was ashamed of myself as I sat there listening to him talk and ashamed that I hadn't asked sooner about the picture I then noticed on his night stand. It was him and his friend dressed in old army drab and standing on dusty land... no trees.. nothing behind them but dry looking land. I will never forget what I got to know about him 2 weeks before he passed.. He became a pleasanter man in those 2 weeks and when he passed I cried because this man had been hated by many who had been around him when all the while he was just hurt and needed someone to acknowledge him and to listen. If only someone had acknowledged him sooner. If only he had been treated like the hero he deserved to be treated like..
The sad fact is that many homeless are veterans who have been forgotten. I can't believe we as a nation allow this kind of thing to happen to our protectors, our defenders.. How very, very sad that we forget them but don't forget celebrities.... Very sad.

If our soldiers weren't fighting over there in Iraq, Michael Jackson wouldn't of been able to 'entertain' us here ;)
So really, if you think about it, we should be thinking of our soldiers too. There are more of them dying out there and they are fighting for people over here to do what they want. Being famous should be no excuse for why more people mourned for him. Like I've already said, if our soldiers weren't fighting, we would probably have no right to mourn.

I totally agree with CKGS.

I too am getting so sick with all this stuff about MJ. He's already been dead for like 2/3 weeks? It's seriously getting old and I just ignore everything about it.

I guess it all comes down to opinion at the end of the day, but I choose to feel saddened over the loss of our soldiers dying for our freedom, than for a famous person whom I only knew by name and songs.

Emily

I feel the same way. We have a recruting office right next door. And everytime my niece wants to go in there and gvie the guy a hug.

One day I asked her why. She told me her kindergarden teacher was in the army. And he told them what solders did for us. She went to mc donalds and gave the man I know as goarge. Her toy.

I make it a point to go say hi to him everyday. He just got off a tour of duty in iraq. He said to jazzy my neice thank you sweetie. And she a six year old said no thank you and your army men for the things you do.

He was marines but he smiled and looked at me I said thank also.

There more importmant anyday.

I agree with that email. However, it IS sad that Michael died, and I don't believe anyone has the right to say how anyone else mourns/grieves, even if he was a celebrity. The coverage is a bit much, yes, considering the men and women who die every day for this country under the general public's radar. I think there should be more fanfare and public mourning for those who pass, and more gratitude for those who are serving.

My dad just retired from the Army after 21 years of service to this country. He has been to Kuwait, Greece, Bosnia, Iraq, and countless other places in order to protect this country and all the people in it. But I don't see anyone holding a parade every time he gets back. ;)

I agree, Michael Jackson was a nobody compared to the men who have served proudly for our countries.
I have a very strong view that so many people around here take what they are given as a right.
Those men who are fighting to protect the interests of our countries, to protect our freedom, they don't deserve just the respect for that but the respect for every man who has ever served his country, whether he died on or off the field of battle.
Some entertainer no matter what he has done doesn't deserve any more grieving than they do. Now if that entertainer had cured cancer or done something worthwhile.

Latest posts

Back