Some Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tori

Reaction score
I am kind of unsure whether to post this here or in the General Rabbit Chat forum because this is mainly about some views on rabbit care but I have a definite show question. And I guess this is sorta asking about show rabbits since that's what I'm interested in. But I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum.

1. I have read that rabbits should get plenty of time to run each day. One site in the Rabbits 101 forum even said they should get4 hours of adequate running and playing time. Now I have also heard from breeders that maybe only get their rabbits out about every other day and some even just about once a week. So what are your views on this and what have you found to work for you?

2. I also understand that a variety of vegetables should be fed. I believe it was the same site said that an adult5 lb rabbit should be fed 4 cups of fresh vegetables of at least 3 different kinds (i.e. kale, spinach, and collards) every day. That seems like an awful lot. I have heard some breeders say they feed very little to no vegetables at all. I mean no offense, but I would rather hear from people/breeders who do feed their rabbits vegetables, not only because of the value I believe roughage has but also just because of the improvement I saw in my own rabbits when I had introduced it into their diets.

3. Who do you get to tattoo your rabbits? I have been told that you can usually get it done at a show, but what if the next closest show is one you plan to enter in and would like to have your rabbit tattooed before it? I saw an ad for something that looked like a device for tattooing your own rabbits but when I clicked the link it said the page couldn't be found. Do these things exsist and would it even be responsible for a new fancier (such as myself) to tattoo their own rabbit? Obviously I in no way want to injure or endanger my future rabbits.

Thank you in advance to anyone who offers their advice, answers, and experiences. It is truely appreciated!

Tori

I know breeders who not give their rabbits any free time, I find it terrible. Even a breeder I talk to often does do not do it anymore, as far as I know. When they started and where small they got out in big runs everyday but now that they are up to 50 odd rabbits they do not do it. I personally believe rabbits need run time as much as possible. In the wild they would run miles a day so they are not physically made to sit and do nothing for months at a time. I find the physical exersize is good for them and helps with condition.

A pet rabbit not in a breeding program has little to no use for pellets. They do not need the fat and energy from pellets as they have no use for it if not producing. My pet rabbits get around a cup of veggies a day, unlimited hay and the pellets vary. The "breeding" rabbits get on adverage a few leafs of diffrent greens, new rabbits are slowly introduce which is why almost all of my breeders get very little at the moment, unlimited hay and 1/2 a cup pellets.

I do not tattoo my rabbits, I plan to show later this year but at the moment I have no need to cause the rabbits unneeded pain :/

I'm here to answer your questions lol Well this will all be in my opinion :] So no one take any offence to anything I say, I don't think it is offending but it may be lol

1. I had a big outdoor pen, but I had to sacrifice it for my guinea pigs lol I would let me bunnies out every couple days to munch weather depending. Now I take the bunnies out at random, not alot but atleast they get out for a little bit, but maybe not for a week or 2.

2. I will buy veggies every now & then, but they normally get pellets & hay. Oh and grass & dandylion leaves (I go outside and pick LOADS, or I will get my little brother too lol) We will buy carrots & romane lettuce every now & then :]

3. We have had rabbits tattooed the same day as the show, it doesn't make a difference when it is done :] A couple friends I know usually do it at the show for me for free so that is all worked out :] You could tattoo your own rabbit, but it would be best to have someone who knows how around when you do it & to show you how it works :] I'm too scared I will hurt my bunnies to try, I will eventually but not any time soon lol

I gave you my opinions and what I do! Hope you find it helpful :)

I don't breed yet and most likely won't start until I am older, since I will be going to college in two years. I am very interested in rabbit breeding.

I think it is important for a rabbit to get out for excercise, at least once a week, in the grass and be able to stretch their legs and act like a rabbit. I find the majority of breeders don't let their rabbits out at all but I think the breeder who do take the time to let their rabbits out are brilliant. I think the rabbits mental and physical health should come before breeding and showing, and if/when I start breeding I will stick to that.

I believe vegetables are important in a rabbits diet, even if it's just a little bit, even though they can survive on pellets and hay, how boring!

I don't know anything about tatooing since we don't do it here.

1. I have read that rabbits should get plenty of time to run each day. One site in the Rabbits 101 forum even said they should get4 hours of adequate running and playing time. Now I have also heard from breeders that maybe only get their rabbits out about every other day and some even just about once a week. So what are your views on this and what have you found to work for you?
I love questions! :) What I see is that your information is coming from articles aimed at pet owners, information fueled by the HRS. My rabbits rarely get exercise time. I'm constantly giving them pets and talking to them and I do pull them out once a week for a check up. Other than that, They don't really get exercise time, and they've done well. None of them are in bad shape, none are attention starved, or anything of the sort. Kits and real youngsters do get playtime with their littermates though, as I evaluate and take pics. Mom, by this logic, also gets a break from the babies.

2. I also understand that a variety of vegetables should be fed. I believe it was the same site said that an adult5 lb rabbit should be fed 4 cups of fresh vegetables of at least 3 different kinds (i.e. kale, spinach, and collards) every day. That seems like an awful lot. I have heard some breeders say they feed very little to no vegetables at all. I mean no offense, but I would rather hear from people/breeders who do feed their rabbits vegetables, not only because of the value I believe roughage has but also just because of the improvement I saw in my own rabbits when I had introduced it into their diets.
Again, these are articles aimed at the pet rabbit world. What I've seen though, is that rabbits fed only veggies don't have stellar condition. Pet rabbits on all veggie diets are much more likely to get GI Stasis than rabbits on pelleted feed. Also, feeding veggies is more expensive, can cause diharea, and even kill young rabbits.

3. Who do you get to tattoo your rabbits? I have been told that you can usually get it done at a show, but what if the next closest show is one you plan to enter in and would like to have your rabbit tattooed before it? I saw an ad for something that looked like a device for tattooing your own rabbits but when I clicked the link it said the page couldn't be found. Do these things exsist and would it even be responsible for a new fancier (such as myself) to tattoo their own rabbit? Obviously I in no way want to injure or endanger my future rabbits.
I tatt them on my own. I bough an EZ tatt from bunnyrabbit.com. The EZ tatt is, as the name suggests, easy to use. I like it, it doesn't seem to cause much distress for the bunnies. It's under tattoo supplies, page one (it comes up on page 2, you have to do a little navigating.)

Erin, you're right. Most all of my reading is coming from the links on the Bunny 101 board, which seem to be focused toward pet owners. And from what I've read I've learned that pellets were originally introduced for breeders.
Well, even though I would like to show, this rabbit is primarily going to be a pet. And while I am interested in breeding in the future, I very much doubt I will start with my first show rabbit and probably not with my second either. But when I do start breeding, I don't expect it to be that often. I don't plan to dozens of rabbits and a huge rabbitry. So, even if some of you do keep a lot of rabbits, what do have them on when your does aren't pregnant or lactating? Do you keep them on the pellets? Do you reduce the amount of pellets and balance with vegetables? As you all can probably tell, I am very interested in learning and want to make sure I am completely prepared before I get back into owning rabbits :)

Oh and another thing about tattooing. What number would you suggest a first-time show owner use? Just something like "001"? lol I really hope I am not annoying anyone with all my questions :blushan:

tori wrote:
So, even if some of you do keep a lot of rabbits, what do have them on when your does aren't pregnant or lactating? Do you keep them on the pellets? Do you reduce the amount of pellets and balance with vegetables? As you all can probably tell, I am very interested in learning and want to make sure I am completely prepared before I get back into owning rabbits :)

Oh and another thing about tattooing. What number would you suggest a first-time show owner use? Just something like "001"? lol I really hope I am not annoying anyone with all my questions :blushan:

Just pellets for me. They were formulated for rabbits. I have no problem keeping every one of my rabbits on a pelleted feed all of the time, though, I'll admit, they do get treats. They just each got a quarter of a strawberry today. Does that are pregnant are more likely to get these treats.

My tatt numbers when I started were like - E1, 1, 2, 3, 4, now that I've got an actual rabbitry name though, their MV followed by a progressing number. It depends on the breeder though, do whatever works for you.

Latest posts

Back