Some broken nails and a broken heart

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoolia

Reaction score
One of my fosters has been really anxious lately. I figured from smelling the new bunny across the hall from his room or because the hay i was given was very poor quality. He’s been kinda hot and cold; lunging at hands giving him food, panic fleeing from anyone entering his pen to clean or refill food/water, but then climbing on me and kissing my nose when we’re hanging out on his bed.
Well, this morning I went to set down his water bowl and he FREAKED out! I always leave the cage door open for him to hop away from me while im working in there just to avoid situations where he might speed around the pen and hurt himself. But even with the door open, he did exactly that. After 7 laps around his cage, he had snapped one nail off, and cracked - it seems - two or three more all on his left side.
I feel like a horrible bunny parent letting him get so wound up... he won’t let me close enough to check him out and I don’t want to risk further injury. What do I do for this poor fella?

I would try getting him in a carrier, and then wrapping him in a towel so he feels secure when you try and check him out, try polysporin in any small scrapes or shallow wounds, I’m not sure what to do about his nails… and it sounds like you are doing your best so don’t put yourself down:)

If you're still fostering him and this is still an issue, providing lots of tunnels and hidey holes can help. You can also try clipping sheets on the sides of his pen to give it a more enclosed feeling to it, and to block outside movements from spooking him.

Try and lure him into a carrier with some greens and get those nails checked out by a rabbit friendly vet. Wanna make sure everything is good there.

also try some calming music and creating lots of dark enclosed spaces, it’ll probably take the little guy awhile to adjust.

Latest posts

Back