some begginer's questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanagl

Reaction score
hello,
I'm considering bringing in a pet rabbit, and trying to think where it'll fit in the house. I can't find specific details anywhere, so maybe you can help.

There is a balcony of about 10 square meters. No direct sun most of the day. the balcony has a wall 80 cm high with a rail on top (that a bunny could squeeze through), is one floor up, and more or less nothing to chew (except laundry).

Is the balcony safe for rabbits?

I was thinking that the rabbit can be in the balcony when the weather is good, and in a cage / pen inside when it's not.
Is it a good idea to have two places for the rabbit? Is it better to have a cage that can be moved with the rabbit (and left open when free outside), or is it better to leave the cage in a constant place and only move the rabbit?

What is considered good weather for a rabbit? too hot or rainy is not good, I got that, but what about chilly nights, for example? and how hot is too hot?

What should be the pen height so the rabbit can't jump out?

Better to have the cage in one place and move the bunny around. That’s how I do it with my bunnies. It will also be less work.

I would put mesh around the balcony because of birds and if the bunny manage to jump up somehow. You can at least be sure your bunny won’t fall out.

Too hot it’s over 33 Celsius, my bunnies don’t care about rain but often they rather stay indoors. Chilly nights they have no problem handling, but don’t know how chilly the nights can be at your place.

I have the 10 degree (celsius) line, if the outdoor it’s 10 degree the whole night. it’s okay for the indoor bunny to stay outside. Lower then they are supposed to stay indoors. This it’s because when they start molting and stay outside when it’s lower temperature they will get a thick winter fur instead.

The pen need to be over 80 cm, my bunnies have no problem jumping up into their hutches that are 1 meter above the ground. You can put a roof over the pen to make sure they won’t get out.

But it also depends on how small your bunny will be. If your bunny is tiny then they won’t be able to jump over 80 cm myself have a (700 gram bunny) he can’t escape the pen.

Bunnies are ment to be indoors so I would say that would not be a great option unless you have that area as an outdoors play area and the cage inside?

Bunnies are ment to be indoors so I would say that would not be a great option unless you have that area as an outdoors play area and the cage inside?

The balcony it’s only a play area during good weather [emoji5]

It’s written in the text ^^

A photo of the balcony would be helpful. We might see something that you hadn't considered or be able to offer suggestions (or cautions).
As for when you have him indoors, my website offers some tips.

Thanks a lot!
I'll try to upload a picture of the balcony later.
If the weather limits are 10-33, it leaves a good part of the year when the rabbit can be outside and enjoy greater space.

If it's better to leave the cage and move the rabbit, does it mean I need two each of litter boxes, feeding dishes etc? Will the rabbit be OK with having two different boxes?
How about a small portable (open) cage inside a permanent pen? then it'll be simple to move all the rabbit's things with it, but it'll still have a fixed place in the house.

Rabbits also need shade. They should never be in direct sun when it's even remotely warm out, as they can overheat very easily and get heat stroke.
https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/recognizing-heat-stroke-in-your-pet-rabbit/

33 C is still pretty high to be at all enjoyable for your rabbit. At that temp a rabbit will spend all of it's time trying to cool it's body temp down(not being active, eating less, laying on cool surfaces, etc). Rabbits really won't be comfortable in anything above 27 C(80 F), but even at that temp they aren't going to be very active or enjoy it very long as they get hot quite easily. Lower than 21 C(70 F) is ideal for rabbits to be able to remain cool and actually enjoy doing things like running around.

Rabbits also need shade. They should never be in direct sun when it's even remotely warm out, as they can overheat very easily and get heat stroke.
https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/recognizing-heat-stroke-in-your-pet-rabbit/

33 C is still pretty high to be at all enjoyable for your rabbit. At that temp a rabbit will spend all of it's time trying to cool it's body temp down(not being active, eating less, laying on cool surfaces, etc). Rabbits really won't be comfortable in anything above 27 C(80 F), but even at that temp they aren't going to be very active or enjoy it very long as they get hot quite easily. Lower than 21 C(70 F) is ideal for rabbits to be able to remain cool and actually enjoy doing things like running around.

A considerable part of the balcony is shaded. The shade move around during the day.
I suppose I can trust the rabbit to remain in the shade and don't have to prevent him getting in the sun?

Days of 30C or so are quite common here in summer. So on these days it'll be better to leave the rabbit inside? By sunset it usually gets cooler, I can put the rabbit out then an leave it out all night. Then it can spend the dusk and dawn active periods outside. Is that OK?

Either way after a while your rabbits should get use to the weather if you keep them outside most of the time. As long as they have shelter they should be fine in the cold. Its the warm hot days that really affect rabbits they can overheat really easily. A few ways to keep them cool is give hem an ice bottle (just freeze a plastic water bottle and they can lick off the condensation and they can lay by it) if you put an ice bottle in like a closed off hide like take a box and make a hole in it but the ice bottle in it. It cools off most of the box if its small enough but it can't be to small that the rabbit and the bottle can't fit in. I would recommend a box about double the size of your rabbit. Another way is if you have a cage or like a hutch put a wet towel over it and when it drys just keep wetting it.

Latest posts

Back