Solo rabbit care on vacation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serabeth

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience with leaving your rabbit with a pet sitter while you are on vacation? My husband and I adopted our bunny in December 2020 and he mostly hangs out with us all day long. If we leave him alone, it’s usually just to go to the store or something. He’s very attached to us, as we are to him. He tries to follow us when we leave, and he’s always looking for us when we come back.

My parents invited us on a vacation this year where we would be away for 8 days. Unfortunately, the place where we’re staying is not pet friendly.

My sister in law offered to come to our apartment and stay here during that time to watch the rabbit (and our other pets). Do you think our rabbit will be okay separated from us, since my SIL will be here to keep him company? He’s never met her before, but he’s been friendly and happy with pets from other members of our family, though we’ve always been present when they are playing with him.

Getting him a bondmate is something we would like to do in the future but cannot at this time due to reasons I don’t want to get into. I would feel much better if he did have one.

I haven’t bought the plane tickets yet, because I’m worried about the bunny. I’ve read very mixed things online, with some people saying the rabbit will be just fine and others saying their rabbit was so depressed they developed GI stasis :(. Hoping for some advice.

I've left my bunnies home with a pet sitter for a few days (the longest being 10 days) before. They always do fine. I would recommended introducing your SIL to your bunny, and get them comfortable around each other. Just make sure your SIL understands his triggers, rabbit sicknesses, feed, care, etc. Writing down stuff on a sheet to help her remember is also very helpful.

Thanks! I just get so nervous with him because I’ve read if your rabbit is not bonded that he might get really upset if you leave him. I’ve never worried about my dog or cat with a pet sitter, but I’ve never left the rabbit alone for long so I wasn’t sure if they are different because of the bond thing.

Your welcome!
Yeah, it’s always a little scary leaving an animal as fragile as a rabbit with another person. Bunny might need a day or so after you get home to get used to you again but all in all, he should be perfectly fine.

Latest posts

Back