Solo Baby

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Out of this world bunnies

Reaction score
Hello my bunny Nebula had her second litter yesterday there was three born but only one survived I am confused on some things, the surviving baby is PINK which doesn't that mean it will be white? cause in Nebula's previous litter their skin was BLACK and GREY and they ended up being those colors. also, will this baby be able to stay warm by itself? I go in there like every 30 minutes to an hour to check on the baby and I make sure it is completely covered. Please give me tips so i can keep this little one alive!

Most likely it will be white. If the room is on the warm side then the straw and fur should be fine (if she pulled enough) if the room is on the cooler or cold side I would get a heat lamp and place it between 14-18 inches from the top of the nest box. If you are not using a nest box then this could be the reason you are losing the babies. Also If you cannot afford a heat lamp then I would get a cheap thin blanket and place it in there. I get my blankets from Wal-Mart for $2.50 and I have never lost a litter with them and they are outside. If your bunny is outside and it is summer then no heating is necessary just let momma do her job. Always make sure that the babies are well nourished and not wrinkly they should be very plump. As for when her last litter was black and grey and this one is white that all depends on genetics and if she was bred to different bucks. If you are unsure if the baby is well fed or not take a picture and post it on here and I can tell you.

Most likely it will be white. If the room is on the warm side then the straw and fur should be fine (if she pulled enough) if the room is on the cooler or cold side I would get a heat lamp and place it between 14-18 inches from the top of the nest box. If you are not using a nest box then this could be the reason you are losing the babies. Also If you cannot afford a heat lamp then I would get a cheap thin blanket and place it in there. I get my blankets from Wal-Mart for $2.50 and I have never lost a litter with them and they are outside. If your bunny is outside and it is summer then no heating is necessary just let momma do her job. Always make sure that the babies are well nourished and not wrinkly they should be very plump. As for when her last litter was black and grey and this one is white that all depends on genetics and if she was bred to different bucks. If you are unsure if the baby is well fed or not take a picture and post it on here and I can tell you.
the baby's belly is very plump and it is not wrinkly at all so it is very healthy! She was bred to the same buck for this litter and the baby is inside as the momma is my inside rabbit. The room the baby is can be cold, the bedding i used for the nestbox was newspaper i had been giving to the momma and letting her shred it herself, old shirts and fur (the momma bun added her self) and the baby is very active and wiggling alot! so i am assuming it is healthy.

another reason i am suprised it is white is because both parents are grey! all three babies seemed to be white or some sort of charlie/broken cause they had markings on their feet and face but sadly the ones with markings didn't make it.

That's great. I would not use newspaper as the ink can be toxic to both mom and baby if eaten. I would use straw it wicks away moisture from when the baby urinates. and not as yucky to clean out. The newspaper will just hold the urine and cause the ammonia to linger causing the baby to get sick. I would change that ASAP. And after each litter take the nestbox outside and thoroughly bleach if it is wood or metal if it is a cardboard box then throw away and replace each time to prevent disease. Just make sure there is no bleach residue before you give it back to momma. If you throw the straw in the cage after you put the nestbox is in she will go and make the nest herself.

One of them had to have a broken gene somewhere in their line or one of them is a genetic broken. But if one was a genetic broken then they would have had a broken in the first litter.

If you don’t have pedigrees on the two parents then it’s hard to know where the REW came from. I would suspect possibly a grandparent was white.

Latest posts

Back