Solid black x chinchilla???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectacles

Reaction score
Hi all I have a rabbit that we are hoping to breed. She is chinchilla and the buck is solid black, I know both of these colours are resesive so I was wondering if anyone could clue me into how the resulting kitts may look the first pic is the doe and the second the buck

Attachments

• D2D6B2D1-0D31-46D6-B8D6-682C78D67437.jpeg
    D2D6B2D1-0D31-46D6-B8D6-682C78D67437.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2ECCCBCF-27E8-4813-8629-CAF50D09158B.jpeg
    2ECCCBCF-27E8-4813-8629-CAF50D09158B.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 12
Most would probably be black with straight or semi-floppy ears.
Personally I wouldn’t breed them, they aren’t the same breed, and the chinchilla doesn’t look pure, or at-least not show-quality, to me. You’d end up with mutt-babies that need homes in a world that doesn’t need more pet bunnies. (This is what many people call “backyard breeding” and is frowned upon.)
If you’re interested in breeding I’d get involved with FFA, 4H, or your national breeder’s association! (The US has ARBA) You can learn about rabbit showing and responsible breeding from them!

She would only have one litter and we have people who want them otherwise we wouldn’t do it, there’s only a slight chance and they have asked if these two particular bunnies would be the parents because of there friendly nature and desirable traits. Mix breeds also tend to have less health issues so as long as they are neither over bred (she will have one litter at most), have good living conditions (they have access to larg open running space both inside and out every day) and the babies are definitely going to have loving homes I really don’t see the issue, also we have had a rabbit have babies before, an accidental litter with a different rabbit, so we have looked after babies before. We are also looking at getting another rabbit and we love both of them so we would also keep one baby. Anyway can anyone help with my original question of do you know what the colour may turn out like. Also they couldnt be fully black because solid black is recessive.

Unlike dogs, rabbits have an open registry (so with certain requirements, purebreds can be bred to other breeds and in a few generations be considered purebreds again. This reduces problems with inbreeding) so the responsibly bred purebreds have much less health issues are usually healthier than purebreds of other species. It is very hard to find home for mixed breed rabbits - if you already have homes lined up, best of luck to you, but it's always cases like this where the rabbits tend to have litters twice as large as you expected and you'd be stuck keeping the extra babies. So keep that in mind. Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing this breeding, but they're your rabbits, it's your choice.

Chestnut would be the most likely color outcome of this crossing. Depending on what they carry you might get other colors as well. If the chinchilla carries black you might get black. If the black carries chinchilla or white, you might get chinchilla. It's hard to know for certain without a pedigree to guess at which color genes they might have.

Thank you, we do have homes lined up and as I said we are only considering it, that’s why I’m asking so that we can make an informed decision. We will most likely not go through with it but I’m doing some research anyway.

Here’s a color calculator if you’re really curious. Seems like Chestnut and Black are the two most likely colors.
http://www.ephiny.net/tim/pedigrees/color_calc.php
This calculator is a really cool tool, I used it back when I was in FFA to try and decode my rabbits’ genes. I didn’t put it in last night because I had to re-find it, but rabbit colors are more complicated than the simple 4x4 punnet square you learn in biology. For example a “blue” coat is just a “black” coat with two recessive dilution genes.
For example, I was in FFA my project was running a rabbity and showing my rabbits. I have a really large interest in genetics so I decided to decode my founding dam’s color genetics.
She is a chocolate doe who has the coat color genetics of:
aa bb Cc(h) Dd Ee enen

But another rabbit who is also chocolate could have the genetics of:

aa bb CC DD EE enen
Or
aa bb Cc Dd EE enen
etc.

This is because the color chocolate relies on
3 recessive genes and 3 dominate genes. Those 3 dominate genes could have almost any other gene coupled with them and not change the color.

Your black bunny for example has the coat genetics of:
aa B_ C_ D_ E_ enen
It’s color is controlled by 2 recessive genes and 4 dominate genes. So, black is both dominate and recessive depending on what gene you look at. (The blank spots are unknown genetics, since you only need one dominant copy, you’d have to look at the bunny’s family tree to figure out the rest.)

I hope you play around on the website and learn more about genetics! They are really interesting and fun!

One last question dose anyone know what kind of chinchilla my doe is, I was thinking possible sable chinchilla but I’m not to sure

She looks like just a normal (black) chinchilla to me. She is much lighter than the average chinchilla, but they do vary quite a bit in color and usually with the sable chinchillas their head is noticeably darker than the body, which hers is not.

Latest posts

Back