Soft poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oreo1

Reaction score
Hi-my mini lop bunny has been have intermittent soft poops. I already have her one bath and now just using sensitive skin baby wipes to clean her if dirty. I suspended all fruits, veggies and oxbow treats only giving her pellets and Timothy/orchard hays and grass she eats when outside. But each time I try to re-introduce some thing, she has a soft poops. I know it’s not diarrhea but what does anybody suggest I do?

Are you slowly reintroducing? If not, that could be why. Her stomach is not adjusting quick enough. Sometimes new introductions or re-introductions can take 2 weeks.

The only time you should ever bathe a rabbit is if it’s absolutely necessary. It would stress a rabbit out and they get sick. A bum wash should be sufficient enough and wipes like you’ve been doing. I would suggest sticking with that.

Last edited:
Please DON'T bathe your bunny. It can cause major shock, hypothermia, and death.

If her poop is normal when you eliminate fruit, veggies, and treats, then it's safe to say one of those is the cause of the mushy cecotropes(cecal dysbiosis). Which means that which ever is causing it will likely need to be eliminated from her diet permanently, or at least for some time to give her gut microbes a chance to get back into a sustained balance. It may be some foods were introduced too quickly and her gut bacteria didn't have adequate time to adapt, but also possible she is too sensitive and can't have the offending food(s) at all. Some rabbits are just more sensitive to some foods and can't have them in their diet or it will always cause problems.

Most likely culprit would be the fruit and oxbow treats(high carb). Veggies would be less likely, though not impossible. If she is still having the mushy cecals with fruits and veg removed, pellets or the fresh grass could also be contributors. I've had a few rabbits that were sensitive to pellets, fruits, and any high sugar/carb food, and couldn't have them in their diet at all. Fresh grass, particularly early young growth that can be too rich, can cause problems for some rabbits.

I would start with removing the fruit and oxbow treats(and any other high sugar/carb foods, eg carrots) and see how that goes. If it's still happening with the veggies, it could just be the types of veggies you are feeding, so you may not need to eliminate all veggies. Usually the leafy veggies are the least likely to cause this kind of problem, when not fed in excess. High starch veggies(eg carrots) or ones with high water content(eg cucumber, celery) can also sometimes cause issues.

Here's some good info on cecum problems and cecal dysbiosis if you haven't seen it already.
Intermittent Soft Cecotropes in Rabbits | House Rabbit Society (cecal dysbiosis)
Disorders of the Cecum | House Rabbit Society (disorders of the cecum)

Though bathing a rabbit is highly discouraged in most instances, sometimes butt baths are necessary for rabbits with health issues that are causing cleanliness problems, as this can pose a fly strike risk. Though if a butt bath is done it always needs to be done correctly and with caution(best to consult vet).

Are you slowly reintroducing? If not, that could be why. Her stomach is not adjusting quick enough. Sometimes new introductions or re-introductions can take 2 weeks.

The only time you should ever bathe a rabbit is if it’s absolutely necessary. It would stress a rabbit out and they get sick. A bum wash should be sufficient enough and wipes like you’ve been doing. I would suggest sticking with that.
Yeah I waited like a week and a half and only gave her a really small piece of celery. Also I’ve had six bunnies throughout my life and giving them a bath once a year I don’t find ever stress them out if it’s done correctly and warm weather.

If her poop is normal when you eliminate fruit, veggies, and treats, then it's safe to say one of those is the cause of the mushy cecotropes(cecal dysbiosis). Which means that which ever is causing it will likely need to be eliminated from her diet permanently, or at least for some time to give her gut microbes a chance to get back into a sustained balance. It may be some foods were introduced too quickly and her gut bacteria didn't have adequate time to adapt, but also possible she is too sensitive and can't have the offending food(s) at all. Some rabbits are just more sensitive to some foods and can't have them in their diet or it will always cause problems.

Most likely culprit would be the fruit and oxbow treats(high carb). Veggies would be less likely, though not impossible. If she is still having the mushy cecals with fruits and veg removed, pellets or the fresh grass could also be contributors. I've had a few rabbits that were sensitive to pellets, fruits, and any high sugar/carb food, and couldn't have them in their diet at all. Fresh grass, particularly early young growth that can be too rich, can cause problems for some rabbits.

I would start with removing the fruit and oxbow treats(and any other high sugar/carb foods, eg carrots) and see how that goes. If it's still happening with the veggies, it could just be the types of veggies you are feeding, so you may not need to eliminate all veggies. Usually the leafy veggies are the least likely to cause this kind of problem, when not fed in excess. High starch veggies(eg carrots) or ones with high water content(eg cucumber, celery) can also sometimes cause issues.

Here's some good info on cecum problems and cecal dysbiosis if you haven't seen it already.
Intermittent Soft Cecotropes in Rabbits | House Rabbit Society (cecal dysbiosis)
Disorders of the Cecum | House Rabbit Society (disorders of the cecum)

Though bathing a rabbit is highly discouraged in most instances, sometimes butt baths are necessary for rabbits with health issues that are causing cleanliness problems, as this can pose a fly strike risk. Though if a butt bath is done it always needs to be done correctly and with caution(best to consult vet).

Thank you for your reply. She’s going to be two years old in February and has always done well with a variety of herbs leafy greens and small occasional fruit pieces during the week. None of these things including grass of ever bother her before. But I’ll start by selling introducing just the leafy green. As far as the bath it’s really her bottom that was washed and her paws not like it was poured over her head or anything and I’ve never had an issue with all the six rabbits I have had In my life. I only give a bath once a year in the warm weather. I’m very careful.

Please DON'T bathe your bunny. It can cause major shock, hypothermia, and death.
I’ve never had an issue with my pet rabbits giving them a bath. I only do it once a year in the warm weather and it’s not like I’m pouring water over them it’s more their undercarriage I’m taking care of.

It may be that you just didn't wait long enough before reintroducing. A week and a half isn't very long to get those gut microbes back in balance. 3-4 weeks wait would be better, though some rabbits need much longer, especially if it's been a long standing problem and not just a recent occurrence.

Yeah, some owners don't understand the whole no bathing thing and why rabbits shouldn't normally ever need bathing, so it's just a message that needs to be constantly reiterated here. A bun with a reoccurring health issue, has to be dealt with on a case by case basis, though always with extreme care.

It may be that you just didn't wait long enough before reintroducing. A week and a half isn't very long to get those gut microbes back in balance. 3-4 weeks wait would be better, though some rabbits need much longer, especially if it's been a long standing problem and not just a recent occurrence.

Yeah, some owners don't understand the whole no bathing thing and why rabbits shouldn't normally ever need bathing, so it's just a message that needs to be constantly reiterated here. A bun with a reoccurring health issue, has to be dealt with on a case by case basis, though always with extreme care.
All right I’ll try waiting 3 to 4 weeks I’m sure she won’t be happy to hear that news! As far as the bath it’s really more like a bunny bidet. Thanks for your advice.

Latest posts

Back