Soft Poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaGal

Reaction score
I just noticed that Thumper left a few poops out of his cage so went to clean them up. Leaving a few is normal. A few of the poops were soft. There was no mucous and they were more of a round shape than not. I did clean up a few cecotropes yesterday which I just figured maybe he was busy eating and ignored them. Other than that his behavior has been normal and each time I have gone into his room in the past hour he has come up and run around acting happy as usual.

He has spent most of the day laying around which is usual but so far I haven't noticed any teeth grinding and every time I saw him today he was lying comfortably so no hunched up posture of pain.

I have over the past few weeks cut back on his pellets as he seemed not to be eating as much hay as usual. I cut back gradually and he is down to 2/3 cup. he did start to eat some more hay.

I also transitioned him over to two meals per day instead of one. I feed him half his pellets in the morning and half at night. In the morning and at night he also gets a bowl of veggies. With each feeding he will get either two or three veggies. This past week he has gotten romaine, bok choy and cilantro in the morning. Romaine, cilantro and kale.

The past few days I have been giving him seven clovers a day as a treat. He has had this before although slightly less like 3 or 4 and not a day.

He has water in a bowl at all times and is given fresh water each day.

He hasn't had any issues before. He is a year old and I have had him since he was 10 weeks.

He was just in eating some so he's still doing that. From where he left the poops outside the cage it is possible that he was eating hat when he pooped but I'm not positive.

I have noticed that since I cut back on his pellets he is now crazy for them and will run into his cage when I start putting them in his dish and will start eating before I even have them all in but he does leave some and come back later. He does the same with his veggies although he doesn't run for them.

With soft poops, it can be a few things. If you recently intoduced a new food to him, then it could be the new food. So with him just recently having the clover, then that could have been the problem. If you've stopped feeding the new food and he is still having soft poops, then it can possibly be one or more of the veggies he's getting, but is most likely too many carbs and sugars in the diet. Since you've already decreased pellets, see if that fixes the soft poops. You also shouldn't be feeding any sugary treats. If he is still having soft poops after eliminating treats and reduced pellets, then you can try reducing pellets a little bit more. So see if those changes fix the problem. If not, you may need to try eliminating veggies to see if that stops the soft poops. If it does, then you can gradually reintroduce them slowly, and one at a time, to try and pinpoint what the problem veggie is.

If dietary changes don't stop the soft poops, or they get worse, then it may be a bacterial/parasitic problem, and he'll need to go into the vet. Especially if he starts having diarrhea or mucous in the poop.

Thanks. He doesn't get any fruit. Well once in a blue moon and it is the tiniest of pieces. It has been probably three weeks since he's had fruit. He has had clover before but is it possible a different type of clover could upset his system?

:anotherbun
Thanks. He doesn't get any fruit. Well once in a blue moon and it is the tiniest of pieces. It has been probably three weeks since he's had fruit. He has had clover before but is it possible a different type of clover could upset his system?
--even though clover is a safe food it should be given as a treat not main menu,--it can/will cause poopy bum/soft poops http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html --you will be a poopologist in no time...---there are different clovers which all may impact the gi tract-the same way causing the runny poops/-not to be confused with a medical condition..here is another link which should shed light on any problems http://www.medirabbit.com any behavioral change is always a concern,--good job--also you might want to check out this illustrated website of safe plants,etc http://kanin.org --sincerely james waller :bunnyheart

I have seen the site with pics of poo before. Thank you for posting medirabbit, I saved it for future reference. I was using the clover as a treat because Thumper is nuts about it and it was just seven a day. I did not realize that little on a daily basis could be a problem.

I have seen the site with pics of poo before. Thank you for posting medirabbit, I saved it for future reference. I was using the clover as a treat because Thumper is nuts about it and it was just seven a day. I did not realize that little on a daily basis could be a problem.
hi-again,-sorry about any misunderstanding-clover-,,I too-feed my brood daily greens,--I have 10 acres of weeds and I offer a couple small handfuls of greens daily,-ie.dandylions,clover,plantain-(broad leaf and lance )-with a variety of grasses,,-- loose/runny poops occur if they get too much of a good thing-so I have to be careful,--sincerely james waller:bouquet::mrsthumper:

Latest posts

Back