soft poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maomaochiu

Reaction score
well, ever since i got tictac this february, she's always been having extra soft poops, now and then, i mean those smelling stuck-together,grape-looking soft poops. i hardly see any from maomaochiu b/c i guess he re-digests them as it is supposed to be, but tictac always seems to have more than what she can re-take.

is that because she has worms in her or some other things? she eats plenty of hay and pellets, and a little vegitables and treats.

thanks!

From what I have come to understand, rabbits do not eat their cecals if they are getting too many pellets.

So maybe try gradually cutting down on her pellets until she is eating all the cecals (that is if she is over 6 months old, under 6 months and rabbits are supposed to be free fed pellets, I don't have any suggestions if that's the case)

thanks! yeah, tictac is about 7 months old now, so i can try to cut back her pellets. the problem isshe is ALWAYS acting like starving and eating all the time when she can, with all the pellets and hay that i feed her now, about 1/2 cup/day. will i ever starve her if i cut back the pellets?

If you feed her unlimited hay, then no, you won't stave her :) Just feed lots of hay and then you will always know that he has something to eat.

How much does she weigh?

maomaochiu wrote:
thanks! yeah, tictac is about 7 months old now, so i can try to cut back her pellets. the problem isshe is ALWAYS acting like starving and eating all the time when she can, with all the pellets and hay that i feed her now, about 1/2 cup/day. will i ever starve her if i cut back the pellets?

maomaochiu wrote:

What kind of pellets are you giving her?

At about 6 months I switched mine over to timothy pellets.
The higher protein of the alfalfapellets caused excess cecals in some of my older rabbits too, so they're all on timothy now.

All of mine get 1/2 oz - 1 oz of pellets per pound of normal body weight.

I split the feedings...half in the morning/half in the evening.
Unlimited timothy hay for all....and cubes, too.
Treats of rolled oats in the morning....sunflower seeds at night (just a few)

Each bun is different....
.....from Binkie who will hoover up everything as soon as you give it to her.

...to Chippy who nibbles and browses all day, and sometimes will leave a bit to be tossed before the next feeding.

~Jim

thank you all for your replies!

Tictac now weighs about 2 lbs, and i think she is not growing that much.

she has unlimited fresh timonthy hay 24/7. so does maomaochiu.

so you all think it is the pellets that causing the soft poops?i will for sure cut back on her pellets. i was worried about worms. or do bunnies get worms???? thanks

At 2lbs half a cup is alot. I feed half a cup to my 15lb bun. I feed all of my buns 1/4 cup. They weigh 2lbs, two at 3lbs, one is almost 4lbs, two are 4lbs, and one is just barely missing 5lbs.

maomaochiu wrote:
that's true!!! from now on, 1/4 cup of pellets, Tictac!!!!

Also cut back slowly since she is used to being free fed pellets, don't just take it all away at once.

Now that she's 7 months, you can start taking away some of the pellets to get her down to a normal amount. Also - were the pellets Alfalfa based? You may want to switch her over to a Timothy pellet as well. As Jim mentioned, the excess cecals could be due to too much protien in the diet, which could be caused by the unlimited alfalfa pellets (if that's what you're giving her).

When Charlie was a baby, he also had excess cecals all the time until I switched him over to Timothy pellets.

thank you, honeypot!!

yeah, i need to switch back to timonthy based pellets, but the little farts (tictac and maomaochiu) REFUSE to eat it. I did cut back on tictac's pellets these couple of days, MAN, doesn't she act starving now?!

LOL- that was our new baby Oliver - he REFUSED to eat the timothy pellets, but I've been switching him over for the past 3 weeks now, and I think he's finally on the Timothy.

I start with a sandwich baggy full of the original food. I take a handful of food out of the bag and into the food dish, and I put a handful of the new food into the bag and mix it in. The next day I do the same... so I slowly refill the bag with more and more a percentage of the new food and less and less of the old food. So far this seems to get the right balance of new/old food for them not to make a huge fuss over here.

:)

Nadia

i'm sure my bun produces excess cecal poops just so i will stand on them lol. i get up in the middle of the night quite often to use the loo and i almost always stand in something cold and squishy! or sometimes in the morning when i have my slippers on, i will stand on one of his cecals and walk it all over my bedroom carpet before i realise i've stood in it haha.

i think i might need to cut back on his pellets too....

thanks, Nadia! i will mix them up and try it slowly this time.

and girlzilla, i don't know if i want to cry or laugh at your post.......

i smered a soft poop once with my bare hands as i was cleaning tictac's cage and did not see clearly, ohhhhhh, i could never forget that feeling

Latest posts

Back