Soft floor cover

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie94

Reaction score
Hello

I want to get some flooring for my rabbit pen in the garage as it’s on concrete and I want my bunnies to have somewhere that is softer so they get a break from the cold hard floor. I have previously used interlocking foam mats which were great except my bunnies have always chewed them. They survived for about 8 months but now looking to replace with an alternative that might be less chewable.

Does anyone have any suggestions what could be suitable? I’m happy to leave some concrete exposed as it helps wear down their nails. Thank you

Hi!

I had the same problem with my bun. You could try some of the following;

Sisal rugs (sisal is a natural fiber that buns are able to chew much like hay, sisal rugs will make it difficult for them to chew but also will be safe for them if they do. It's warm and has plenty of grip for binkies and zooms).

Hemp rugs much like sisal. You can also get hemp mats (for rodents but if you want to try before you invest there's lots of amazon).

Seagrass rugs also- these are brilliant.

Some dog matting fabric such as dog health (a rubber mat) not the comfiest but very hardy almost bite-proof as long as the buns cant get to the edges.

I'm not sure if they like to chew fabric, but you could try covering your foam tiles with fabric or felt and tucking it under maybe so they cant get to the edges?

If you want to be really snazzy, you could get some grass seed trays, grass seeds, and some soil and grow your own grass trays (only for a section of your flooring) if you get two for each bun, you can rotate them when they've eaten all the grass.

If you're on a budget you could try large sheets of cardboard and cut it to size or join some together using a hole punch and sisal string. That will keep the cold getting to their feet.

Personally, I invested in a heavy seagrass rug, which has been great. They are incredible in strength and very hardy. They can be very expensive for organic non-treated versions- which is the one you want!

Best of luck :) I'd love to hear what you go for in the end :)

I use puzzle mats. They work great, but some rabbits chew them and if your rabbits do, remove them.

Stall mats. A 4 ft X 6 ft mat is about $40 and 3 ft X 4 ft is about $22. A rabbit might chew on the edge, but that is the only place a rabbit can destroy it. A new one might smell until it gasses off, just like a new carpet. I think my rabbits got dark paws from the mat until the mat aged a little.

you can also find pretty large sisal/jute rugs at home depot or lowe's. In the summertime you can take them outside and hose them down and let them dry in the Sun. Indoor/outdoor carpet is another cheaper option. They sell it by the foot at home stores.

Thanks everyone I think I’m going to look at getting a rug/rugs I should hopefully be able to get one fairly cheap to see whether they will chew it or not. My foam mats have quite a thick edge which I think made them appealing to chew so hopefully a thin rug will be more difficult to get hold of so they won’t bother!

Thanks everyone I think I’m going to look at getting a rug/rugs I should hopefully be able to get one fairly cheap to see whether they will chew it or not. My foam mats have quite a thick edge which I think made them appealing to chew so hopefully a thin rug will be more difficult to get hold of so they won’t bother!
Ikea rugs work well

Latest posts

Back