Soft fecies after eating fruits!!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, ๐Ÿ‘‹
I recently adopted two bunnies one dwarf white bunny (Male) and the other grey nosed/white bunny (Male) and my youngest being about ( 3-4 months, I think!!) My dwarf white bunny has been having diarrhea, but only after eating fruits!! Like carrots ๐Ÿฅ• berries ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ“ and apples.๐Ÿ

I've been researching about it and I think he has a sensitive tummy and the fruits have two much sugar and are high fiber foods for him, but my other bunny seams completely fine eating them. I've had a bunny before these two and she was completely fine and ate everything!!

Right now he has been eating everything and I mean everything!!(currently at eating/ growing stage) So it's hard to see what to give him and what not, but they do have hay ( they don't eat a lot of it tho) and they eat a lot of pellets because that was their diet before I had gotten them!
( Hay: Tiny Friends Farm)
( Pellets: Normal )
( Lettuce: Normal and clean)

Q: Any advice on how to manage he's probably without having to rule out fruits for my other bunny!? They are free romed and eat 24/7 so separation is not an option!! Please if anyone has a solution please, please respond to this!!โ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿ’• I'm willing to give everything a try!!

Closest is Milo and the furthest (the boy that has the problem) is Fettuccine/ Fetty.

Attachments

• IMG_20211222_102939.jpg
    IMG_20211222_102939.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220105_153333.jpg
    IMG_20220105_153333.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 4
It's called cecal dysbiosis or intermittent soft cecotropes, caused by too many sugars/carbs in the diet disrupting the microflora in the rabbits cecum. It might be that you're just feeding too much of it and/or not introducing it into the diet properly(gradually in small amounts). It is also possible for one rabbit to have a more sensitive digestive tract. And this means that high sugar foods can't be fed to that rabbit or you'll continue to have the problem, which can worsen into more serious digestive illness if not corrected.

https://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/
https://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/treats.html
Also something to be aware of, if your rabbits aren't neutered, they're getting to the stage of their hormones coming in(usually around 3 months old). Once that happens and they start trying to hump and chase each other, this can lead to a fight breaking out, which could result in very serious injuries occurring. So if they aren't neutered, it's recommended to separate, get them neutered, wait 4-8 weeks for hormones to fade, then rebond. But be aware that there are no guarantees they will continue to get along and rebond as they mature. Baby rabbits will usually always get along, but once they become adult rabbits, they will only get along if they are compatible personalities.

If they aren't showing any signs of hormonal behavior yet, if you got them neutered right away, there may be a slight possibility they wouldn't need to be separated and rebonded, though this wouldn't be the norm. Usually separation is necessary.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

Thank you so much JBun๐Ÿ™

I'm still new to being a bunny mum and I'm really trying to be the absolute best for both my boys. The websites really has given me more of an understanding and I now need to change Fettuccine's diet when it comes to the fruits ,treats and etc.

I've only ever had a girl bunny and she had a friend who was my bird Diego so we didn't really need to find a bunny friend for her.
( Many recommend not to do so as they said it was completely fine to have her alone due to her independence and strong personality and that the process was very difficult and could hurt my relationship with her) So I didn't bother and gave her the special love and care she needed.

Last year she had past away from Jaw cancer that was spotted on her left jaw bone, and we had to put her down.

So long after I decided to take both boys, there perants live together and so did there cousins and brothers and sisters so I didn't think twice about any bonding issues, but everyone 2021 litter has been adopted out.

So before I had gotten them all 20 of them lived together outside with a few chickens ( do see how I didn't think about any bonding issues or diet issues ๐Ÿคฆ)

Thank you so much for all the information and websites. I really need to think about a few things before I can leave them alone unsupervised.

Bunnies aren't easy animals to take care of and many times I've been fooled by that saying, so I'm going to make changes and I'll update on any new issues.๐Ÿ’•

Hi guys ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ˜„

Just wanted to give you all an update on Fettuccine!!

He's poo is slowly comy back, some days he's amazing and others it's looks like it's coming together!! I've cut out fruits and vegetables for about two weeks and he has definitely improved!!
โ€ข he doesn't look bloated
โ€ข poo looks amazing!!
โ€ข he's getting very very big
โ€ข starting to get very noughty with he's brother Milo!๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿคช

Thank you all for such great advice, I I'm wanting to get him into a healthy, sustainable veg/fruit diet but I want this wierd diarrhea to pass( witch it has) but I'm probably not going to and I'll just do it for Milo because he has no problem what's so ever!!

From a bunny mum to another we including ( Milo & Fettuccine) want to say THANK YOU ALL!!!!๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฐ

Hi guys, I need your help again!!!!
Fettuccine is not looking good right now. I need to know why he's poo has been looking like that!?

So lately he's poo has been looking draker then usually and like the picture below โฌ‡๏ธโฌ‡๏ธ and he has been looking a little sad but he has also been playing. Yesterday was cold so me boys were mostly snuggling etc. They didn't eat as much through out the day but the next morning their plates were empty.

Now what may have course this reaction:

He did get two treats two before this and they were two normal bunny treats but also two (Provita whole-wheat crispbreads!) - I think this is what coursed this!!

He did NOT get two hole pieces just two separate that make about 2/3 of the cracker, but about one every 5 hours as a treat from call training.

I'm not sure if this is what coursed this but if it is please let me know! I feel terrible giving this to them but I was eating them on the floor and I just decided to give both boys and carried on with my day.

I feel terrible!๐Ÿ˜”

Attachments

• IMG_20220131_154428.jpg
    IMG_20220131_154428.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220131_154629.jpg
    IMG_20220131_154629.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back