So who has experience raising pet pigs?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SunnyCait wrote:
I liked the name Breakfast for some reason, haha!
:laugh: :rofl::laugh::humour::laugh: :clapping::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mmmmmm do I smell bacon?
I kid I kid... but really a pig? I love animals and all but a pig seriously? I like to have a distinction between the animals I keep as pets and the ones I eat as food Oh well each to their own.

Saudade wrote:
I love animals and all but a pig seriously?

Yeah, but most people who have never been around rabbits and don't know what great pets they are would say the same about all the lengths we go to to keep our bunnies happy. And I will admit, a pig is not something I had ever thought I would have for a pet either honestly. But I doubt anyone here would have been able to see that little helpless critter sitting there shivering and not picked it up and held it, you know? And now he thinks I am mom, and he comes when I call and all that, it's kinda like having a slightly smelly puppy that oinks, LOL.

He needs a name!! :D Don't name him Wilbur though! LOL

Dave, tons of people eat rabbits. The cute little rabbit you love looks like dinner to another person. One man's pet is another man's filet mignon. All animals are equal on that front.

my neighbors had a pot bellied pig they named bacon :) he had his own room inside and everything. he was awesome, i think potty trained to. not sure.

and thats really good of you to take in the piglet, hopefully he makes it and does all good and well for you. are you going to keep him even in his adult size?

I hope I can keep him once he gets full sized, LOL. I plan to get some hog panels and set him up with a pen and a shelter under the trees behind the barn. If he gets to where I can't handle him or don't have room, well, I will try my best to find him a pet home.

Ok, I finally got some pics taken, sorry for the delay! LOL Enjoy!

015.jpg

011.jpg

016.jpg

013.jpg

Look how precious, I can see why you couldn't leave him behind. I love the markings on his ears.

If I only had some property to have a barn and keep farm animals (all pets of course)

How much do you think he weighs?

Yeah but but... Rabbits aren't delicious! Mmm with their bacon, and pork, and pork ribs and bacon and *drools*.

It's adorable, though you should be warned, male pigs do become aggressive and a very big handful as they grow older.

Saudade wrote:
Yeah but but... Rabbits aren't delicious! Mmm with their bacon, and pork, and pork ribs and bacon and *drools*.

It's adorable, though you should be warned, male pigs do become aggressive and a very big handful as they grow older.

Well thats kind of disturbing :twitch:

Anyways, he's adorable. He looks like a rufus. I accidentally said that outloud too, :D

luvthempigs wrote:
How much do you think he weighs?
Right now? Probably 8-9 pounds. He's not a very happy pig today, he was castrated this morning. Talk about screaming! It only took about ten seconds though thank Heavens. The vet asked me if I wanted another pig while I was there, I was like, UM, NO! LOL She said she has some clients that had hand raised a pig the way I'm doing mine, and they were moving and couldn't take him. The thing that worries me is- their pig weighs 900 POUNDS!! I'm like Holy S****, is mine going to get that big?! He was such a tiny runt compared to his littermates that I can't imagine he would get that big, we can hope not anyway.

Saudade wrote:

I'm sure people that eat rabbits would say the same about them.

I know it is possible for him to get aggressive, but that doesn't mean it is set in stone that he will. He is castrated now so we won't have to worry about aggression from hormones at any rate. We will see what happens and cross that bridge when we come to it, as my Dad likes to say.

Oh my goodness...what an adorable little piggy....and very lucky as well

Ahhh i have alway's wanted a little piggy for as long as i can remember....i really want a little pot bellied pig.

I'm so glad to hear that he is doing so well

So right now he is the weight of a small dog, hard to believe he could top out at 900 lbs! I'm not all that familiar with pigs but I really didn't think they got that big :shock:

Do you plan to keep him in the house or is he going to move out to a shed/barn?

I have read that pigs are one of the smartest animals, supposed to be smarter than a dog. I wouldn't worry too much about him becoming agressive now that he is neutered. Is he litterbox trained?

Congrats on the little porker! He looks like such a cutie!

I've always wanted a pet pig! I would want a pot-bellied one and name him Boris. :) It just sounds like a pig name (with all the grunting and such, it reminds me of the "stereotypical" Eastern German guy sitting down to a meal. It's the same "stereotype" that movies and shows use to make fun of Eastern Europeans, if you guys have any idea what I'm talking about(?)

I showed Will these pictures and he said "maybe", up until I told him that we would have to give up eating pork. Then it was a definite "NO!". :(

JadeIcing wrote:
:shock:I WANT!
I do, too! Gimme a little piggie!

:hyper:

Funny note on this picture: it just made me squeal out loud enough that it woke up Will (who is in the next room) and prompted him to ask if I was OK! :p

015.jpg

[ame=http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2346868/kingsford_goes_to_the_beach/]This[/ame] is just a cute video with a piglet named Kingsford (and the same video that made me want a piggie (even more than before)!

luvthempigs wrote:
So right now he is the weight of a small dog, hard to believe he could top out at 900 lbs! I'm not all that familiar with pigs but I really didn't think they got that big :shock:

Do you plan to keep him in the house or is he going to move out to a shed/barn?

I have read that pigs are one of the smartest animals, supposed to be smarter than a dog. I wouldn't worry too much about him becoming agressive now that he is neutered. Is he litterbox trained?

Oh, he is already in the barn, LOL. My DH is pretty tolerant of all the critters I drag in, but he put his foot down the night I brought my pig home! I walked in and set Nappy down on the floor so Hubby couldn't see him, then I talked to him over the bar for almost five minutes before it dawned on him he was hearing grunting from around my feet! The first thing he said was NO PIGS IN THE HOUSE!!

He is pretty clean about where he goes potty though. He has a giant sized dog crate in the barn for nightime, and a pen under the trees for the day time. He only goes in one corner of each of those places. I thought about littertraining him, but where on Earth would I find a litter pan big enough for a full grown pig? :shock:He is pretty smart, he already is learning to come to me when I call, and we are working on the "We don't nibble Mommy's fingers!" issue too, LOL.

Ahh, I see...I *thought* for some reason he was in the house! I mean, I would do something like that :pthat is IF my house were big enough :biggrin2:

Well his set up sounds very nice, I hope he can live out a long happy life with you and your family :)

Thanks! I had heard pigs were smart, but this guy is even sharper than I had imagined. It has been about three days since I set up his little pen outside, which basically means three days of the same certain routine: I come into the barn with his fed and let him out of his crate, and call him to follow me to the pen where he gets fed. Today, the fourth time we have done this, he beat me to the pen and was waiting for his feed! LOL

Latest posts

Back