So upset :(

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Bunnys_rule63

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 12, 2005
Messages
3,514
Reaction score
3
Location
Durham, England, , United Kingdom
As some of you may know I have had my horse, Smokey, on loan for just over a year. I was originally looking for a horse to buy but he was such a lovely horse and being on loan made having a horse a lot cheaper for me so I decided to take him on.

Anyway, for the past year I haven't heard a thing from his owner. She hasn't been to see him once since I got him in July '07, however today I got a phone call from her telling me that she has decided to sell him - for £5000!:shock:Now, I love Smokey to bits and he is a fantastic horse, but he is nowhere near worth that much! Also we can't really afford to spend 5 grand on a horse right now, so I've been in tears all afternoon at the thought of having to let him go to a new owner.:(

I've been to his livery yard and talked with the yard manager and some of my experienced friends there and they all agree that his owner is just beingunreasonable and obviously just needs some money right now which is why she has decided to sell him for such a ridiculous amount. Therefore I have been advised to tell her that I wont buy him for that much but will for a smaller sum (£1500/£2000 tops) and if she wont lower the price then just refuse to buy him and tell her that from now on she will have to take over care of him. Now, realistically I know no sensible person should buy him for £5000, and even if theydecide to they should change their minds ashe wont pass a vets inspectionbecause he has a chronic cough. However, I am terrified that somebody will decide to buy him and therefore I'll lose him.:tears2:

I can't stand the thought of getting rid of Smokey. He has been my rock. This past year we have gotten so close and I love him so much, I don't think I could bear to get rid of him.:(Please keep all your fingers and toes crossed guys and hope that his silly owner comes to her senses soon and makes a puts a more reasonable price on him. I can't lose him, I just can't.:tears2:










Sorry for rambling on here by the way, I jsut need to vent.:X
 

Becca

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
8,185
Reaction score
4
Location
Northamptonshire, , United Kingdom
Oh no - Thats not what you want :(I really hope she changes her mind :XHe looks like such a great boy, and I know how close you can get to pets in fact thats when they turn into more than just pets they turn into friends, best friends :(It's not fair that he may have to go. Lets just not think about that - I really really hope she comes to her senses. You two sound like the perfect - well horse and slave :)

Hope everything works out.

Becca x
 

Michaela

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2006
Messages
5,377
Reaction score
3
Location
Dundee, Scotland, ,
Oh no!!! :(:( Jess! I have no idea about horse prices but that does seem an awful lot considering he has a health issue? I really hope nobody buys him and she lowers the cost. Ugh, how annoying. :X

Hoping it works out for you hun!! :hug::hug:
 

BlueCamasRabbitry

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Messages
5,067
Reaction score
9
Location
Thurston County, Washington, USA
Why not ask his owner if you can buy him for like 1000K? Since you've been leasing him for a while, you should get first pick if you'd like to purchase him. It's called leasing-to-own....So, you should be able to get him for a much lower price then what she's asking.

He's a very pretty boy, though! And you look like an amazing rider! I am kind of in the same situation as you with my horse, although I'm only partial-leasing her, and she's up for Full Lease for this winter, and I'm trying to do everything I can so that I can lease her, or I won't see her until next Spring! :shock:

Emily
 

Bunnys_rule63

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 12, 2005
Messages
3,514
Reaction score
3
Location
Durham, England, , United Kingdom
Thank you guys.:hug:

Emily - I know that's what annoys me. When Smokey came to me a year ago he was fat, unfit and hadn't jumped or been schooled in ages. This year I have spent a small fortune on rugs, meds, lessons etc for him. I have spent so much time and effort getting him fittened up, schooling him, increasing his jumping experience, reinforcing his ground manners etc, all for her horse - and yet apparently I get no credit at all for this!:XI really don't know where she gets off contacting me after a year telling me that she is going to sell him for such an extortionate price.:XIt sounds like you understand the situation though. Good luck with your lease horse! It's always tricky when you're not the legal owner.:?

I'm just so annoyed. This morning everything was normal and now I face losing Smokey.:(Plus it really scares me as I know the way we are trying to do this is risky, but it is really the only sensible thing I can do. I know that his owner is pulling on my heartstrings because she knows how much I love him therefore is thinking that I will automatically pay the 5k, however I've realised I need to toughen myself up for this. Unfortunately horses are very expensive animals and I can't let my heart rule over my head in this one.:(

My dad (he's a lawyer so the best person to handle this!) is ringing the owner tomorrow so I'll update you guys with what she says. I'm just hoping and praying it's good news!:?





Edit - because apparently I can't spell today!:p



 

Bo B Bunny

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
17,800
Reaction score
3
Location
, Indiana, USA
I would definitely not buy him with a chronic cough like that - for that sort of money.

How long has he had the cough? has he been vetted for it?

The reason I ask is that gray horses are more prone to cancer and we've actually had 2 die in 2 barns next to each other in the past few years from cancer. As much as you love him, you don't need that sort of heartache/bills to handle. No one does.

If you DO decide to offer her the lower amount, I'd have him checked first.
 

Bunnys_rule63

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 12, 2005
Messages
3,514
Reaction score
3
Location
Durham, England, , United Kingdom
Argh - I've just written out a long answer for this but it's disappeared into cyber space.:X:grumpy:

BBB - He has had a dust allergy for as long as we have had him. It isn't as serious as COPD/RAO but he has weeks when he is bad, and weeks when he is fine. He has been on ventapulmin before for his cough and has had to move onto soaked haylage, shavings etc. However at the moment he isn't coughing at all.

That being said, he definitely wouldn't pass a vetting, therefore his owner should lower his price. I just hope she does...I don't want to think about if she doesn't and I have to let him go.:tears2:
 

Bo B Bunny

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
17,800
Reaction score
3
Location
, Indiana, USA
Oh goodness! I've seen horses with allergies like that..... although much better than what I was worried about - it's still such a pain to deal with!

She should surely lower the price...... but aren't you already paying for his care?
 

Bunnys_rule63

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 12, 2005
Messages
3,514
Reaction score
3
Location
Durham, England, , United Kingdom
Bo B Bunny wrote:
aren't you already paying for his care?
Yep!:rollseyesThat's the thing that's so annoying. Over the past year we have spent so much on Smokey through livery, feed, rugs, tack etc and yet she doesn't seem to be taking this into consideration.:X

That's why I think if she refuses to lower the price and wants to sell him to someone else that I should make her take over care of him as 1) she has nowhere to keep him and 2) If she's selling him for money they she wont be able to afford to keep him on for how ever long it takes to find somebody to buy him (which should be a while at that price!)

Even still, it scares me in case some idiot does decide to buy him at that price.:?What else can I do though?:?
 

pinksalamander

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
2,962
Reaction score
0
Location
In A Tree, Kent, , United Kingdom
Maybe you could give her an ultimatum. Take him, here and now, this very day from your care, or sell him to you at a lower price. That way, she will probably realise she can't afford to keep looking after him, has nowhere to keep him etc, and would probably figure that taking £1.5k from you now would be a better deal.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny
 

Latest posts

Top