So Tired!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woahlookitsme

Reaction score
[ Rant ]

Oh my lord why must people be so naive and ignorant!! People who think that they know everything about breeders and our husbandry just because they look at a couple of pictures on the internet and then they think they know everything!!! I am getting so tired of seeing rude and benighted comments.

the rude comments especially piss me off (such as someone threatening a life)

All i can do is try to educate is what i keep saying to myself but honestly there is only so much i can do and it seriously makes me sad

[ end rant ]

Last edited:
Facebook. on the National Mini Rex Rabbit Clubs page.
The one that starts "Dear NMRRC Members, Mini Rex Enthusiasts, and Concerned Public. . ." I have been going back and forth with someone on that post

I feel for you folks. One bad breeder paints you all as aloof and money grubbers not concerned with the animals welfare, while one bad rescue/shelter is of course just an abberation and no cause for concern. While Im being no better labeling with such a broad stroke, its been my impression is all. Keep it up though woahlookitsme, there are people listening objectively and eager to learn.

I think the trouble with rabbits and why conditions can look so bad is because as we all know, rabbits put out a lot of poop and while they are clean animals, they certainly aren't always tidy. I can sweep and tidy Bandit's room and make it all spic and span, come back a couple hours later and there's hay everywhere, a bunch of poop and various other things just strewn about the place. But I think mostly when you aren't aware how much comes out of a rabbit every day, you don't realise how messy it can look even if it's really only been a short time since you last cleaned.. If it was dogs in hanging cages, there'd be like... two poops under each cage a day, not for bunnies! :p

I try not to, but it is really easy to judge other people on their set-ups and cage conditions just by looking at them in a photo and claiming that we or someone else could do a far better job. To be perfectly honest, it's not poop or pee stains that bother me in those photos (because if you have a breeding set up in a shed or something, it has got to be dam hard to keep that clean), but it's more the size of the cages. Then again, cage size is extremely difficult to judge in photos. And it's not that the cages are too small, because most of the time they look a decent size, it's more of a personal thing that I would feel so awful not having enough time to let all the rabbits out on a daily basis to run around. Even if they were perfectly happy in their cages on a day to day basis. And I think that's certainly part of it, some people would never be able to bring themselves to house rabbits in a cage where they never got out on a daily basis, and some people are fine with it, and I think that's largely where the difference lies, for me at least :p Then again, I wonder what proportion of the population takes their dog for a walk every single day without fail. 1% maybe, less?

My point after all that really is, that I think it's just largely based off of what different people feel ok with doing. And I'm not talking about how well the animals are fed etc, lets assume that free range bunny and caged breeder's rabbits are equally happy and healthy and well fed etc (After all, breeder's rabbits have to be healthy or they don't even make the show table!), but the only difference is in how much "run" time they get. I'm sure there's some people on here who really only get to let their house buns run around one or two days a week, and there are others who have them out almost all day, every day. That's really not much different when you think about it.

Edit: Also, I seriously admire your dedication to keeping people informed about breeders and how there are plenty of good ones and not all like the random bads ones etc. Good on you for standing up for that. Not everybody would.

I just figure that most like that are so "narrow minded that their ears rub together" and when someone knows they are "right" (meaning you're wrong) that your "casting pearls before swine". In the past I've had some here with a limited grasp of the English language totally misinterpret what I've said. I'd send them a tome explaining in great detail and simple language what I meant and that it didn't jibe with their interpretation. Sometimes I got profuse apologies and other times what could be composted and used for fertilizer. With the latter, I felt like "cordially inviting them to attend the theological place of eternal punishment"! I do so love playing with the English language. Remember all the hub-bub about Randy Newman's song "Short People". There were literally thousands of People (and i do mean "morons" when I say people) that were irate that he didn't like people of short stature, when the song was actually an indictment of those with irrational prejudices--reducto ad absurdum--that he extended to ridiculous lengths in order to make fun of them. Unfortunately there are so many, but I do so enjoy mocking them in a manner they usually don't comprehend. I'll end with a quote from the late G Carlin--"God must really love stupid people because he made so darn many of them", and I used darn so this wouldn't get censored here as his real word was a sound alike for what a beaver builds to hold back water.

I used to have a huge problem with breeders, until I came to this forum. Then I saw that there is a huge difference in good breeders and bad breeders. Like Sarah you and your mom are the GOOD breeders, because you're breeding to make the Tan breed better and the Polish breed better(and you guys breed beautiful rabbits!)
What I don't agree with is the BAD breeders, that only breed to "make money" or because they want "cute bunnies". Those 'breeders' (and I use that term very loosely) are the reasons why the shelters are filled with rabbits and why the pet shops stay stocked with rabbits and are sold to stupid people who wind up killing or neglecting their 5 week old baby bunny. Those are the breeders that gross me out. Thats not the way you treat animals. I also don't agree with backyard breeding of dogs or whatever.
And I'm here to tell you, making money off animals is a joke! I breed chickens and I make $20 a bird and that doesn't even come close to the costs of feed and equipment! I know its just as much for the rabbits, but your cages are much more expensive than my coops! But technically, I'm considered a backyard chicken breeder! Oh the irony!

Personally the only thing that I really cringe at when I see pictures of rabbitries, is the wire bottomed cages. BUT then I think about the rabbits that are in them and they're always flopped out and they always look so happy. I just worry about their feet and possibly not having enough time off the wire. Then my rational brain kicks in and I remember that even rabbits who live on carpet can get sore hocks and its not just the wire. And why would you want a solid bottomed cage because you have to clean that and you have a ton of rabbits and it would take WAY too much time. So wire is really, the most practical thing.
The other thing that bothers me, that someone else mentioned is the cage sizes. But who am I to judge by a picture? Ya know? I don't know how big those rabbits are compared to cages. Then I look at my own house rabbit and her cage is MUCH too small for her to live in all the time, but she is mostly free range in the kitchen.
Then sometimes I think about the cages that they use at shows and they're so small and then I think back to Sarah's Tans and they're stretched out in the small cages with a pinecone and they look so happy! haha. So if they're flopped out and not bothered, then why should we be bothered? The rabbits will let us know if theres a problem!

Latest posts

Back