SO Sad!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate people who keep poor innocent animals just to feed to snakes. Why can't they just buy some snake food?! I totally understand you wanting to get those poor bunnies, I know I would want to get them too.

It is tough to imagine since we all love our buns but most snakes need mice/rats as food. Not all of them can eat the prepackaged stuff. So the larger snakes will often eat rabbits or even chickens! It's the circle of life folks :/ Its not something I could personally do....I couldn't even watch a mouse being eaten....but I guess I can't judge snake lovers same as I can't judge people who raise rabbits for meat.

"Why can't they just buy snake food?"
because snakes eat animals. That's what they are designed to do.

Good snake owners will pre-kill their prey.
but snakes do not do well on a "kibble" diet. They actually are only force fed a snake diet if they won't eat on their own and is done in order to save their lives. But most snakes will readily take a thawed or pre-killed prey. That's what they live on. They don't go around eating plants or other such things. Some snakes will eat eggs, but most won't.

Rabbits are a prey animal and hence one feeds prey animals to snakes. (rabbits, rats, mice, guinea pigs, small pigs etc) these are good food animals for snakes.

Oh, that is horrible & sad! I hope you will get them if nothing else to see that they find good loving homes & don't end up with one of this guy's friend's snakes or another snake! I don't know anything about snakes but they eat prey animals & that is their diet. I will stop there with my snake keeping opinions but I don't know how people can feed a living creature to another! Hope those bunnies can get a loving home! How horrible! Hope they were kept away from the snake area so they did not have to know they were just waiting to be on the menu!!!!!

A friendly reminder to please keep this discussion within our Forum Decorum rules.
"We do not discuss rabbit dispatch, processing, or consumption, in any form."

My apology if my post did not meet the above guidelines. Will try to keep my posts positive & helpful.

No worries we are skating a bit close to the edge here but I just want to remind everyone that snakes are a difficult topic that can lead to some inflammatory discussions that escalate quickly, as many people have strongly-held opinions. In the past, discussions of that sort have only led to people getting angry at each other.

Just clicked back on this......I'm sorry too! :) I wasn't trying to discuss rabbits as meat in detail just relaying it to the snake thing.

But yes I agree it's a "right on the line" topic. Looks like we are all on the same page now so thanks for the reminder!

I have two corn snakes. I feed them frozen/thawed mice that have been humanely euthanized. Neither one of them has even seen a live mouse since the day they hatched, and I plan to keep it that way. :)

I'm a rodent person who sort of fell into snakes...my first corn was abandoned at the apartment I shared with a roommate who had ball pythons. I liked his snakes and knew corns were a good beginner snake, so I decided to keep the abandoned corn. Next thing I knew I was in love with the little guy and now have two. :) They make wonderful, low-maintenance pets, and you can buy frozen mice in packages just like frozen chicken.

I like larger pythons as well (Hog Island boas are soooo cute!) and understand their need for appropriately-sized prey, but now that I have Sugar I could never keep a snake large enough to require rabbits. I'm happy with my corns (although I wouldn't rule out a tiny Kenyan Sand boa in the future...they stay even smaller than corns).

oh man, I LOVE corn snakes! I've always wanted a snake but was squeamish about having to feed them small animals... plus my house is full of prey animals (including a breeding pair of sugar gliders that cost me nearly $1000) that I love to pieces - I'd be absolutely devastated if I had a pet snake that accidentally managed to get close enough to eat someone!

At one point I had two corn snakes and three hamsters, and they were all fine. I've never had an escapee, and the hamsters even came in handy whenever my roommate's ball pythons prey-rejected (which was VERY frequent...thank goodness corns are greedy little buggers and will stuff anything down their pie holes; they're a breeze to feed). I "scented" the f/t feeders by dragging them through the hamster bedding. He's not a rodent person at all, but he appreciated my hamsters! :D

Ooooh Lorelei I used to have a Kenyan Sand Boa, ages ago. Cute little critter but I couldn't get her to eat frozen so it bothered me quite a bit. Ended up rehoming her. They definitely stay small, less than 2 feet. If I get another snake I'm making sure to get one that does eat frozen. I do find them to be neat animals. I went to the reptile expo last year and really liked the black headed python, but I'm not having that big of a snake in the house when Harvey's around haha.

I think this topic has officially been hijacked lol.

There are some great points made in this topic, and as long as all animals are cared for before/after then goals have been met.
I keep rats as pets and love them to bits, yet have boas as well, 2 of which do get large enough they may need larger prey one day. It is a topic that makes people squeemish. Heck I used to keep one of my rat cages right on top of where i housed my snakes and everyone was fine. None of them cared.
But i also only buy the food from a supplier who cares for her animals and ensures humane euthanasia.

There are always those that give certain animals a bad name. But that doesnt mean we should write off those who do it properly.

People should be ensuring they feed frozen thawed, yes. But just like losers who only want a certqin breed of dog because it looks cool... Theee are juat as many losers who get snakes just to feed them live animals. Many many things can be done to ween the snake onto f/t prey like above..... Dragging it through hamster bedding lol.

Latest posts

Back