Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SukiLiske

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've had my Honinozuka for a couple of years now. Since winter last year, his pee has turned a reddish color. At first it came out reddish, so I looked it up and found that sometimes rabbit pee will turn red or orange during the changing weather. But now it is July.... and while he pees a pale or darker yellow, it still turns reddish. :confused:
Thanks for your help and time.:)

Indeed, some foods will turn rabbit urine a different color, within the healthy pale yellow to very orange range you discovered when initially researching. One vet told me to think of it like when you are putting a tea bag in hot water -- it just changes color.

I will add that sometimes it's not an obvious food-related reason. Sometimes it can be medication-related (my rabbit's pee turned neon orange practically on his syphilis medication), or just seem spontaneous. For example, my rabbit rarely has yellow pees anymore, and his diet has been the same since he was 5mo (currently 2yo now).

There are some color-changing factors, and most of them are harmless. If you ever see bloody urine though, that's an automatic flag for concern.

Ok, well that is comforting to know. I read that things like spinach can cause color change, but I don't normally give him spinach. The biggest changes I can think of from around that time are me letting him be free-roam and adding more greens and hay in general to his diet. Thankfully he has never had blood in his pee.
What about when it changes color after he pees?... I've never heard of such a thing, yet his changes color to reddish after he has already peed a yellow color.
Thank you guys again, I really appreciate it.

What is his daily diet? Certain foods can also cause a change in urine color.
I generally just give him pellets and a spring salad mix with the occasional fruit, berry, bell pepper, or leafy greens. I have even given him clover and dandelion from my yard (after I washed it). Hay and water always.

Latest posts

Back