So, maybe not adopting...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littl3red

Ashtin - Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I don't think the adoption thing is going to work. Due to time constraints and my mom's conditions she's making me fulfill within those time constraints it's basically impossible. :(

BUT, I just found out today one of the kids I go to school with breeds himalayans. So I asked her if she had any that weren't show quality that she would like taken off her hands and she said she had a couple to choose from. As much as it pains me not to adopt, this is the only rabbit available for adoption that's close enough for me to get, and she's going to be sent to a different, farther-away facility very soon because of state law and I really don't think I can get her in the amount of time they're setting. Plus, going the friend-at-school route, I could choose from different rabbits, and get a male, too. (I'm sure I could speed-date, although they'd find it very weird for me to want to do so.) The only problem is that they won't be neutered, so I'd have to pay for that, and it would also slow down the bonding process. Your thoughts?

I don't know. It sounds like you're really trying to force it. I believe your mom is already not excited about a 2nd bun and is worried about litter issues. An un-neutered bun is not going to have great litter habits, plus, as you said, you'd have to go through the whole neuter process. (another thing your mom may not be so enthused about) And after all that, you'll still have to wait a month at least before bonding attempts and the potential territory markings that will come with it.

Maybe it'd be best to give it some time. Either wait for a fixed bun, or.... hmmm... Didn't you say you were thinking you'd be moving out soon? Can't remember your time line. Maybe you'd be best waiting til then?

I don't think she'd worry about the neuter, she did kinda freak out the other night about my rabbit's cage not being clean but she had also had quite a bit to drink. Still, maybe you're right and I should wait until I move out, but that won't be at least until I'm 18 and (more realistically) after I graduate this spring. I'll just see what happens and how things go over the next couple weeks maybe.

Suzette brings up some good points. I do worry about you trying to force it. Like any bun that comes along you want to take. Believe me, I understand wanting a bun NOW but boy am I glad I stuck to what I wanted and waited because Archie has been such a good fit.

That being said, an unneutered bun is doable. Just Suzette said, lots more time and a process til the bond.

Also, something to consider, if one of the Himilayans is a breeding buck sometimes the learned behaviour of mating with all the does (because that's all they do) may be harder to break when it comes time to bonding. Even though they are fixed.

I think you should still work towards your second bun. Just don't rush it. I was kinda in the same position. In the meantime, prepare for the adoption. Work on keeping teddys cage clean to please your mom :) and do you already have a second cage for the new bun? If not get that and supplies needed. During bonding you need stuff for two seperate buns for awhile. Then maybe by the time you get all that situated, a possible adoptee will show up!

Good luck, I'm rooting for you. Just want you to do it right :)

I do have a second cage, but it's a small store-bought cage. I thought about adding on to my current NIC cage and splitting it down the middle, and maybe putting up the stuff on screen doors or something so they couldn't hurt each other through the wire. It'd be bigger and more comfortable than the store-bought cage.

I made sure to specify that the buck should be unshowable and unbreedable (which I assume would also mean unbred.) Neutering shouldn't bother my mom because I would be the one to pay for it and everything. And I bought a 1 gallon shop vac (for $15, a proud purchase!) and it works like a charm, so I could probably clean the cage daily now pretty easily. I also vacuumed my room and I'm really staying on top of the stray poos.

I don't think it's that every bun that comes along I want to take, I just don't want to miss out on an opportunity to find Teddy's soulmate. Like, I feel if I don't let her meet this bun or that bun, I might be missing out on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I don't know. :(

I don't think you'll miss out on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. There are plenty of buns that will be available when the time comes. Spring will be here before you know it. If you do plan to move in such a short time, you might be better off spending your time and resources preparing for your move.

When you do move, you'll know that you're planning for another bun, so you can keep Teddy in another area of your new place. (Other than wherever you want the two to stay together) This could actually make everything easier for you. It would also mean that the new bunny wouldn't have to deal with moving twice (your current home & the new one) along with the stress of bonding.

Honestly, I'd wait until you move. A lot of college apartments have pet restrictions. I think I'd want to be sure you were allowed to even keep a bunny in your place before you tried to keep (or sneak) two. I think Teddy would be perfectly happy just snuggling you until then. :)

Latest posts

Back