So, I took my rabbit to the vet today.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquidtravel

Reaction score
I had made the appt because my rabbit had started sneezing and I had read it might be caused by a respiratory issue. A few days ago, my rabbit stopped sneezing but I decided to take him in any way since I have only had my Flemish Giant a few months and this is my first rabbit so I thought I would err on the side of caution. The good news was Franklin did not have any respiratory issues. The bad news was he had a serious case of ear mites. They also found he had a serious ear infection in both ears. Once they started cleaning out the ear mites and removing the crusty film that had formed inside his ears, they did 2 ear flushes in both ears. Once that was done, they said puss started seeping out of both ears. That was when it was determined Franklin had an ear infection in both ears.

They administered Bravecto, Feline Green (2.6-6.2#) for mites and 2.5 ml of Tmps Suspension for the infections. They also sent me home with Tmps Suspension and Triz Edta. I have to administer 2.5 ml of Tmps Suspension using a syringe twice a day and I have to flush his ears with Triz Edta twice a day. To administer the Triz Edta, I am supposed to moisten a cotton ball and then squeeze the liquid out of the cotton ball into each of Franklin's ears. I think that will be challenging but needed.

Total cost was $300.50

Other than the above, Franklin is in good health.

untitled_(2_of_3).jpg

Franklin doesn't look too happy right now but I am hoping he feels better soon.

Poor Franklin!

I took my bun to the vet because she was sneezing too. Thankfully they couldn’t find anything wrong, but prescribed anti’s just in case for 8 days.

Not sure how you are getting on with the syringing, but I had a nightmare. First time I got it in her, but she hated it. Next day she knew it was coming and it all got very stressy, I couldn’t restrain her and I think I got more on the towel than into her. Not to mention how pissed she was with me. To be fair, I tasted a smidge and it was so gross, so I understand why she was annoyed.

For the remaining days I actually mashed it up with banana instead and gave it to her that way. I was well and truly in the dog house, so there was no way I could get near her to even touch her or pick her up, so it was the only way.

thankfully I have now been forgiven and we can have cuddles, but it took a couple of weeks before she would trust me again 😭

Just a little tip if he’s hating his meds 😊

Thank you so much for the idea of using treats. I did add his meds to a banana and he ate it and I didn't have to worry about holding him, wrapping him in a blanket, etc...

Franklin really hated the experience and would not come near me. Normally he would come up next to my bed waiting for me to wake up but for the last couple of days, I would look down and he was not there. That was sad.

Now, I just have to figure out how to flush his ears twice a day.

Thank you so much for the idea of using treats. I did add his meds to a banana and he ate it and I didn't have to worry about holding him, wrapping him in a blanket, etc...

Franklin really hated the experience and would not come near me. Normally he would come up next to my bed waiting for me to wake up but for the last couple of days, I would look down and he was not there. That was sad.

Now, I just have to figure out how to flush his ears twice a day.
Awwww 😭. He’s probably feeling quite out of sorts because of the infection, plus the antibiotics might make him feel a bit weird. Kiki wasn’t herself at all when she was having them. At one point I was worried we would have to totally re-bond because she was so off with me.

it feels horrible now, but he’ll be back to you in time.

I’m not sure what you can do to get to him for his ears 😕. Poor little chap

Latest posts

Back