So. Defying conventional logic, I have a semi- bald rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
So.

I haven't been on in forever, but I thought I'd share this about Erik....

for some background, Erik has severe problems with GI stasis every time he sheds. This rabbit is on a really restricted diet, that helps out a lot, but it doesn't stop the fact that every time he sheds, 2-3x a year, he will enter GI slowdown, it will probably be in the middle of midterm or final exams, and I will have to scurry 1.5 hours to NOLA (I live in BTR, LA) to get him to his veterinarian, despite the fact that I have a horrible biochemistry exam that counts for 25% of my grade in three hours.

(Let no one assert that I do not love my bunny.....)

My dad is a regular vet who does base-level work on rabbits (fixing, C-sections and other reproductive related things such as the occasional pyometra, eat mites and fleas, broken bones, mild dental work, fluids, etc.) He's a country vet, and reads a lot of rabbit/exotic literature (he finds the fact that these animals are becoming to prevalent in vet. medicine pretty fascinating) Once it gets out of hand he refers said bunnies out to Dr Greg Rich or Leslie Pence in NOLA. Both are great vets for exotics and buns.

Well so anyway, Erik has had trouble 2x this year so far, but it hasn't been so terribly severe that he's needed to be hospitalized. Last time I went in, they gave him a round of subQ fluids and he was fine. The truth of the matter is, both Dad and Dr. Rich's clinic are at least 60 miles away from where I am, and I don't trust Erik's health with anyone else, really. But what's the point of putting him through the stress of an hour+ long car ride to get SubQ fluids? If it's worse than that, of course I would drop everything and get him in, but why stress him that much?

So on Monday, when he started getting that "Oh crap" look on his face and not eating or pooping, I called NOLA. I told them the situation- and they asked if I could get him fluids before bringing him in for the stress. I said that I could. And then I asked, "Can I just shave him?"

And they responded, "If he's kept inside and warm......in his case, honestly, yes, clip him short."

And here we are. He had bald spots from the molt already. After his Sub-Q fluids, I got out my handy-dandy Oster razor and clipped his hair short. The bald spots are from his molt. The rest of his hair is short, about the length of Sofie's Mini-Rex fur, and he ain't shaving no more. Obviously, I didn't shave his head as I figured he couldn't lick his face.

I would like to say that this is only because he is a) an indoor rabbit with lots of cushy hidey holes and blankets. b) In his five-year lifespan, I have had to treat him for a hairball buildup 8 times, nearly twice a year. and c) Yes he gets at least 4 hours of exercise a day, and has a huge pen that he stays in otherwise.

So now that I'm finished rambling, here he is.

Whoda thunk my little black bunny is actually gray? LOL! And yes, that huge bald spot was there before I was.

In better news, he has eaten, pooped, and THUMPED AT ME CONTINUOUSLY whenever I walk into the room. He is, however, back to doing Bunny 500s so he must be feeling a whole lot better than he was on Monday.

The only other bunny I ever shaved was a friend's Jersey Wooly that loved to spend copious amounts of time outside. It's really hot down here, so we sheared her long fur, and she was a VERY happy bunny. Other than that I figure nature takes better care of itself than I do, but if this helps prevents hairball formation, then I am willing to do it.

LOL hmmm looks like a new breed not quite a dutch. I say if it helps the bun and you are already aware of keeping him warm then so be it, besides gray is totally in right now! LOL

LOL I don't think he'd appreciate the toupee! He acted MUCH better today. I watched him almost all day and he was eating, drinking, and pooping back to normal. Some of that gray freaking sprouted back to black overnight. A big patch that was gray grew out.

If you can link the moult and the stasis it sounds like a logical step to me. It's not like a little haircut will cause any problems so worth a try :D

OMG! So funny! What poor little Erik has to go through. But hey, if this is what it takes, it's certainly better than a nearly-guaranteed stasis from the fur.

How cute!! I hope this stops Erik's issues. Poor guy!

I'd be terrified to shave a rabbit. I'm a professional pet groomer and I've shaved MANY cats in the past year that I have been grooming and I am just now pretty confident that I won't cut a cat. Their skin is so paper thin, but a bunny's is even thinner. Good job!!

undergunfire wrote:
I'd be terrified to shave a rabbit. I'm a professional pet groomer and I've shaved MANY cats in the past year that I have been grooming and I am just now pretty confident that I won't cut a cat. Their skin is so paper thin, but a bunny's is even thinner. Good job!!
I didn't use a razor that cuts closely. I will have to check, but we always used a pretty broad razor (forgot the number on it). I actually did nick him on his belly, right by his leg, and I quit after that. But the back and middle of the belly are easy to do. You have to watch the sides, though. It wasn't a big nick and it didn't go deep. I was also quite careful over the spots where he was already bald- again, really can't give a close cut. The actual length of his fur is slightly shorter than Sofia's Rex fur.

It's amazing how fast his hair has grown back out, actually. He is already turning black again in most spots, the bald spots are lightly white, and he seems happier. I've had to rig up some blanket tents for him, because I keep my apartment cold at night, and I actually stapled a wool blanket to the inside of his wooden hidey holes (again, do not let it be said that I don't love my rabbits LOL).

They both got freshly clipped nails this weekend and they aren't terribly happy about it, either ha ha ha.

Latest posts

Back