So confused!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyatt101

Reaction score
So, I'm very confused right now as to what to do for my buns' cages. I want to get my rabbit Cocoa a good hutch since I hate her current cage, but we're also thinking of moving Taz (an indoor bunny) outdoors. This way, Ruby, another indoor bun, could have a nicer cage to herself, and be allowed more playtime. But, I want the best cage setups for Cocoa and Taz before I move Taz (if I decide to). Ever feel so confused like this so you just want to write it all down and plan it all out?? That's how I feel right now! Does anyone have any ideas for good outdoor cage setups? For hutch/cage budget, we're thinking around $40 to $50, so we can take a gently used one if necessary. If anyone has hutches/good, big cages for sale, we are located in Maine, so please comment or PM me to let me know! Otherwise, any advice would be very much appreciated!

We might be able to raise the price a little more too, because we'd really like something nice

I'm a little confused myself. So how many rabbits do you have inside and how many outside? And are they all in separate cages or are there any that are bonded and sharing a cage?

I don't think you can get an appropriate outdoor cage for that kind of price. I also don't believe you are ever supposed to move an indoor rabbit outdoors in the middle of the winter. It was my understanding that the switch needs to be made in the springtime to allow the bunny to adjust and get a good coat before winter sets in.

For an outside hutch, think about what features you want in it. Do you want your bun to have access to an attached run? By taking a used one and adding to it you may be able to stay within your budget, but it's very easy to rack up a $100 bill in wood and hardware.

Yeah, I realized my budget was way to low, so as I said, we can up the budget.

I should have been a little more specific: I have 2 unbounded buns in a cage with divider indoors, and 2 buns outdoors, one in a hutch, and one in a cage I don't like. I was also planning on moving the bunny, if at all, during spring time, which I forgot to mention. How might I build on to a hutch?

So... I got a response to an ad I placed for cages... And it said... "Mike has cages." And then left a phone number. Seriously! I like to know at least SOMETHING about the cages! Ugh

Why can't you move all the bunns inside? And why does Ruby need the big cage not Taz?

Ok, I'll explain: my parents are divorced. At my dads house, we have 2 rabbits, outdoors. The reason for this is that we have a bullmastiff.

At my moms house, we have taz and ruby. They shared an NIC cage, but we will be moving Taz outdoors to my dads house in the spring.

No, they are not bonded, they don't play together and are separated by a divider.

It would probably be best to build a hutch, if you can. Most commercially available outdoor hutches are not really suitable for year-round housing and are not tall enough to be completely safe.

It's best for the hutch to sit at least 4 feet off the ground, which takes away the threat of most cats or dogs having any interest. Years ago when we had an outdoor, my dad built it with very small gauge wire so that nothing other than maybe bugs could get in or reach a paw in. The floor was the same wire, to allow ventilation, but it still held litter/waste in, so I had to scoop it out.

If you want to attach a run, that's fine too. But I wouldn't let rabbits on the ground without supervision.

Latest posts

Back