So any of you hear your bunny...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelnSnuffy

Reaction score
Anyone's bun scrape their teeth on the cage surface in timely sucession? Its weird. I think Snuff is insane, haha. I actually do have a bit of vid of him doing the teeth thing.

Anyone else buns do this? It's quite strange.:D

My buns will frantically chew on anything if they are in a location they dislike. Toby'll relentlessly chew on the bars of his pen if he wants out. Kirby, during bonding out in the hallway, has chewed on the marble thing that marks my doorway and paw at it like a nut because he wants to go home.

Their teeth make very loud noises when they do this. It's quite alarming.

I don't know about teeth scraping but sometimes when I put Lily back in her cage for the night, or when I'm preparing to let her loose in the morning, she grips the wire in her teeth and shakes the latched door. It's so cute because it reminds me of a prisoner running their metal cup on the bars.

bengal77 wrote:
I don't know about teeth scraping but sometimes when I put Lily back in her cage for the night, or when I'm preparing to let her loose in the morning, she grips the wire in her teeth and shakes the latched door. It's so cute because it reminds me of a prisoner running their metal cup on the bars.
:yeahthat:

Yeah, he does the pulling and chewing on the cage. But, this teeth scrape thing is just strange. It is totally scrape, scrape, scrape, then 3 fast ones.Then nail scratching. Idk...:p

He's done it occasionally for ages, so, it's nothing "new". I just am wanting some input if my bun the only crazy one, lol.:D

It was funny one time when he started doing it, a friend of mine was over and she said "what's wrong with your bunny?". LOL.:biggrin2:

Jessi does the teeth scraping thing on her and Storm's cage. They both have scrape marks. I will have to get some pictures of it.

Is your rabbit doing this in a back and forth repetative motion?

If so, it could be a condition much like "gate weaving" which is a condition found in horses.

Rabbits will do this weeving, sliding their teeth along the cage, when they are feeling too high strung and need to release energy, arestressing, or are too cooped up in their cage.

If you think this may be the condition, then you're rabbit is probably just wanting to come out and play :)

Inle_Rabbitry wrote:
Is your rabbit doing this in a back and forth repetative motion?

If so, it could be a condition much like "gate weaving" which is a condition found in horses.

Rabbits will do this weeving, sliding their teeth along the cage, when they are feeling too high strung and need to release energy, are stressing, or are too cooped up in their cage.

If you think this may be the condition, then you're rabbit is probably just wanting to come out and play :)

Yes Jessi is normally doing this when Storm is out and she is not. Or if she is wants the cave to move so she can get somewhere. She has discovered the cage could move.

He'll shake his cage with his teeth when he wants something. The teeth scraping is different, like PBJ and Yukon said:D. I tend to agree with that. We should post vids of it, lol.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
He'll shake his cage with his teeth when he wants something.  The teeth scraping is different, like PBJ and Yukon said:D.  I tend to agree with that.  We should post vids of it, lol.

I will take some pictures of jessi handy work today.

Both of my bunnies do this. Actually, they're been doing it in the bathtub during bonding sessions too. Not sure why! And often the digging precedes a flop.

My two Hollands do it, and I'm pretty sure my female NZ does it in her carrier/den.

I think it's just one of my Hollands((because I'm such a good bunny mother I can tell she would do it, and her sister would not XD)), but it drives me up the wall!! It wakes me up and so I put them in the mesh-bottom show carrier for the night then put them out to play the next day.

Whats really awful is my Holland is teaching my new English Spot mutt to do it. He'll watch them when they're playing and such, then copy them. XD

Does he have plenty of access to chew toys? I'm sure he does. But it could be his way of trying to file his teeth. If that isn't it then I have no idea what it is. But hopefully it isn't hurting him.

bengal77 wrote:
Does he have plenty of access to chew toys? I'm sure he does. But it could be his way of trying to file his teeth. If that isn't it then I have no idea what it is. But hopefully it isn't hurting him.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, he does, but he doesn't "chew" them, lol. He tooses his carrot, his keys and get this...moves his ceramic bowl with his mouth somehow to tilt the pellets back in his direction, Genius, and weird.. Haha. Aot of times when he does it, the bowl sounds like it's in a perfect 'roll'. It's pretty funny.

Anyone's bun do that?!:p

bengal77 wrote:

Jessi has tones of chew toys. She uses them to i think she is hyper and finding something to do personally. For my bun I still need to get a picture I keep forgetting.

07427df3.jpg

Here is Jessi's handy work. Right above the word she has done all this with her teeth.

She has not done it sense her spay but I think it will start again.

Latest posts

Back