So afraid of my bun getting spayed. HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PupTheRabbit

Reaction score
2 questions:

1. Has anyone ever went on Rabbit.org and purchased the certificate that takes off the cost of the spay/neuter charge for vet offices that participate in (http://www.njhrs.com/spayneuter.htm)

2. I did. As soon as it comes in the mail I am going to get Luna spayed. But I am terrified. I keep hearing stories of rabbits getting complications from the anesthesia. Even if the surgery is a success I've even heard that some pass away while recovering. That is another thing I am scared of. She is 8 months and I read that when they get up to 6 months they can get spayed. She is just tiny and I'm afraid her body won't be able to handle it. If I lost her I would be lost and very very depressed. I know that I need to get it done to prevent the cancers that female rabbits are susceptible to though, with out a doubt. So my q is at what age did your female rabbit get spayed at? How did she do?
​Sorry this is long but I need to calm my nerves and ease my mind.​

Its really about the vets comfort level with small animals... In terms of actual body size. not that smaller animals are more delicate.
Do you know what anesthetics the vet will be using if youre worries about complications from it?
My girl was 3-3.5mts when done.
No coupons here, but myguys only cost 20 or 40 each to get done.

My Sweetie is tiny and I understand your concern. I was very nervous and scared that Sweetie wouldn't make it through the spay surgery. My vet did extensive research on rabbit spay because it was his first. He was very honest with me. I posted here about it and one member helped me with a video that I sent to my vet to help him with doing a rabbit spay. With the video and extensive research, plus three people on call during the spay surgery, Sweetie came through the spay with flying colors. I picked her up the same day. She didn't drink until we were half way home, then she started eating.

While she was getting spayed, I was a nervous wreck until I picked her up. She is my little heart bunny.

Here she is, she is a lionhead mix and you can see how tiny she is, she is 5 years old:

1383852491812.jpg

Thank you for sharing that, I appreciate it. But sigh...no matter how much comfort I get I will still be terrified until she is home with me.

That is exactly how I was. But knowing that my vet had three other people to call in a heartbeat helped a little. Two were vets from two other vet clinics and the other was a vet tech. It is worrisome to have your bunny in surgery.

I definitely get your concern and always am nervous when my bunnies get fixed. My first girl wasn't spayed until she was a year and a half old because I was so nervous! Now I've had 3 girls spayed and 5 boys neutered, boy #6 is actually getting neutered today and is at the vet clinic as I type this. They've all done great, the one exception was Ned who chewed at his stitches a bit, but even then the vet just took a look and said it would heal on its own.

My best suggestion is to find a vet you're really comfortable with, who has done a lot of bunny spays. I wasn't comfortable having Phoebe spayed until I found a vet that had spayed over 500 girl bunnies (she worked with a rabbit rescue in the past) with ZERO deaths. Also, make sure to get pain meds for her!

If this helps at all, we had my boy rat neutered. He was much tinier than any adult bunny I've seen and he did great :) Acted like nothing happened after!

Yeah, it's about what the vet is comfortable with. I got one of our rabbits (Lily) spayed at 6 months. Getting another spayed at the same vet in a few days (Olivia is 8 months old).

I think, to ease your worry, it's important that you meet with your vet ahead of time just to do a general check up and talk about what is going to go on with the procedure. Any good vet should require this before agreeing to do the surgery. In that appointment, the vet should explain what the process is, how long it should take, and what kind of after care your bun will need. Lily didn't need any after care. She was eating and drinking normally after the procedure. I am really impressed with how professional and knowledgeable the place is that I go to. You should feel the same when you take your bunny to a vet.

I won't say that there aren't any risks, but think about what you're risking by not getting her spayed. You really are acting in the best interest of her by getting this done. With that said, be mindful of the risks, but also have some confidence in your vet.

Best of luck.

My 2lb dwarfs both got spayed and neutered and are fine. If you're scared talk to your vet. And get some reassurance. :) I'm sure she'll be just fine. Also just make sure your vet is a rabbit savvy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

I'm right there with you. I've poured over the entire forum looking for someone to say that it's ok, she doesn't have to be spayed....but I know better than that. She does. Poor little hormonal thing! She's been getting too much BMS lately. The pro's by far outweigh the cons. I would rather see Jovi live a long and healthy life with my son (who talks often about someday being a 30 year old man with a pet bunny) than her suffer from a cancer. We're making that appointment next week. We actually found our rabbit savvy vet right here on the list of RO Rabbit Savvies. It's a bit of a drive, but our peace of mind is at stake here. :heartbeat: I think everything's gonna be alright.

I just got my bunny Kilala spayed this past Friday. she didn't weigh 2 pounds she was under I tried to get her to gain more weight. She did great though. And after 3 days in her expen she was ready to get out and explore. She didn't eat much for the first couple of days. I was a bit worried and the 3rd day she didn't pee or poop all day so I called my vet and they told me to give her a small amount of sweet potato baby food with water and if she didn't go to the bathroom by the next morning to bring her in but she did. Make sure you get enough pain meds if they are in pain they tend to not eat. I am sure your bunny will do well. Oh and my rabbit had just turned 5 months. my vet says females do better and its an easier surgery for her to perform when they are 4 months but my girl just didn't weigh anywhere near enough at that time. best of luck with your spay I am sure she will be fine!

Also hydration is very important as the anesthesia will dehydrate the rabbit. After surgery coax your rabbit to drink water. Sweetie didn't drink until after we were half way home. She was not comfortable at the vet office and she wanted to go home. When she got home she started eating. Make sure your rabbit drinks as well as eats after surgery. Hydration before nutrition. But both are important.

32 females without any complications. The vet we took ours to did spays for a couple of organizations and was VERY experienced with all sizes--our avatar, Nikki is only 3 pounds and Serena is almost 20. It was a bit of a drive--almost an hour, but she was also the least pricey and I think we got a break because we rescued all of our and gave them a forever home. Best is to ask other rabbit slaves in your area.

Hi everyone, so I finally made an appointment for Nov 18th for Luna to get spayed. I spoke on the phone with the receptionist and she told me that I will drop Luna off in the morning and she will get the exam and then surgery where they will keep her overnight. She also told me that she will be coming home with pain medicine. I asked her how often they performed says and she said they "do them all the time and haven't lost a bunny" which made me feel good. I also told her that I am worried because Luna is very skittish and hard to handle (jumps out of your arms if you hold her for more then a few seconds). Should I have asked her any other questions? Bah I am still nervous but happy I chose a vet that does it often and was on the House Rabbit Society list!

I'm glad to hear that you made an appointment to get your bunny spayed! Also sounds like you chose a good place. As for other questions, I think you got the basic ones covered. They will probably tell you to restrict her exercise for a few days after surgery so she won't pull her stitches and to make sure that she is eating and drinking. If she isn't eating (Hegel didn't eat after his neuter), then you're going to have to syringe feed Oxbow Critical Care (or something comparable).

Don't be too worried. It sounds like you picked a good place.

Latest posts

Back