Snuggle's vet visit today..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ditty816

Reaction score
Hey all! I just wanted to post on here about my bun's vet visit today..

See, Snuggles has a chronic molar spur problem.. he's almost 5 yrs old and I adopted him a little over a year ago.. his previous owner didn't feed him hay and the correct pellets so his teeth don't line up right anymore.. anyways, he stopped eating a week ago so I started him on his Critical Care medicine so he wouldn't go into GI Stasis.. he's been there once and it was really scary.. don't want him going thru that again..

So today was supposed to be our appt to see his vet to get his teeth trimmed (which he has to be put under for).. well someone didn't put it in the system right so my appt was wiped out.. but it's a blessing in disguise.. I usually have to pay $250 every couple of months when this happens.. well I talked to his doctor and he said that I don't have to see the vet anymore.. :DI can just call them up when he's showing the signs, and they'll set up the trimming appt for me.. yeah! my bill will be cheaper anyway.. which means that I'll be able to get Snug's in there quicker and he won't be in that much pain for very long.. I'm excited! :colors:

thanks for reading my post!

Mandy

First of all, I want to say "WOW"...not about your vet - but about YOU!

So many people don't want to take their bunnies to the vet - and Iunderstand it can get very expensive. But $250?WOW....and to know you took on this rabbit a year ago and have thiscommitment...

I'm happy that the appt. (such as it was) went well and that it will becheaper for you. But I'm especially happy that your bunny hassuch a good bunny parent!

Peg

Thank you Peg! :)I actually didn'tknow his teeth would be this bad for the rest of his sweet littlelife.. I fell in love with him and he's part of my family now so i justcan't get rid of him..

One of the vet technicians asked me if I'd like to take a foster bunnyoff her sister's hands.. (she couldn't handle him, had too much goingon in her life..) I was sooo shocked when I got Snuggles.. he was allskin and bones.. wouldn't eat a thing.. thought it was just the movethat shook him up a little.. but then he went into gi stasis about 3weeks after his neuter.. freaked me out quite a bit.. never want to gothru that again.. I nursed him back and promised him that he'd be takencare of as long as I'm around.. :DI may not be able to gethim in for the teeth trimming as soon as he needs it, but he gets therewithin 2 weeks..

anywho, the vet actually did one free trimming on him a month or sobefore I got him.. but they didn't even realize that his teeth would bethis bad..

I've done some research on it and found out that you could pull hismolars.. but for every bottom one you pull, my vet says ya haveta pullthe top one too.. and he's got spurs on all of his bottom ones on bothsides of his jaw.. so he'd have no teeth left.. not to mention the factthat my vet just doesn't think he'd be able to handle a surgery of thatmagnitude..

Mandy

Ed, yeah I know I'm probably getting screwed butI love my vet.. he's soo nice and has a way with my buns.. besides,this time around it was only $164.. they've gotta charge for the officevisit (which I didn't have today), anes., 2 levels of teeth trimming,plus his nails need trimmed too.. :)

Mandy

Edwin, is that for incisor trim ormolar trim? That's about what I would expect for and incisortrim, but molars are more work. Especially if he has to begiven anesthesia.

How often does Snuggles need to go in? Is there any chance that good diet can lessen the problem now?

naturestree, Snuggles needs to go every coupleof months.. each trimming has been lasting about 2 months now.. his vettold me to cut as much pellets out of his diet that I can.. have himeat just his veggie (usually romaine lettuce) and hay (he really likesOxbow Hay Company's Oat Hay and Orchard Grass).. I just feel so badonly giving him a very small portion of pellets cause he loves them somuch! he'll clean his bowl within half an hour then want more.. have tonot give him the pellets just so he'd eat his hay and all.. :D

Ok so maybe $250 isn't that pricey.. after I had thought about it somemore, it dawned on me that the $50 would probably be for incisortrimming, not molars.. ;)which my one bun Rexie had to havedone when he was a little bunnie.. he had crooked teeth.. but theymust've straightened out cause he's never needed it after that firstone..

Mandy

Impressive that you do all that for him! What awonderful bunny mom...When they steal your heart you do what you haveto...I'm up to over 700 in vet bills for Corky...and the vet did thefirst surgery (90 minutes) and didn't charge a dime for his time...Likeyou, I love the vet I have and will take him no where else...he's evengot him right now as I've been out of town a couple days..I can't waitto get him tomorrow!! He doesn't normally board, but took him to helpme out since he's still on meds.

That was very sweet of your vet Corky's mommy..:DI don't know if mine would do that for me but he's beenthere at good times and at bad.. I use to be able to make payments formy bill but he's been having a rough time as of late so I'm not allowedto do that.. Everytime my buns need a surgery I have to come up withthe $$$ up front before he even touches them.. I still have $310 to payoff from my previous bill.. but that's good cause it was at $780..:)

Oh the stuff we do for our babies huh? I couldn't not do it for him..all of them for that matter.. when I get this vet bill paid off, then Ican afford to put pet insurance on them all.. even tho they won't coverSnuggles' teeth trimming cause it's a pre-existing condition.. but Ilike the idea that they'll be covered in case something happens..

Mandy

Hi Mandy,

Sorry to trouble you but I wondered how your buns teeth were doing - Funny my 18 month old has been in twice in the pass 2 months to have his molars trimmed - he gets very stressed and am trying to find ways to stop this happening in the future with diet control.

have you had any success?

2buns, Snuggles is doing quite well.. had another vet start trimming his molars for me.. he seems to last for about 3-4 months now.. don't know if they're just trimming them better or what..

for his diet, the vet told me to cut almost all pellets out and have him on a hay diet.. I'm bad cause I don't follow that but I do give him TONS of hay and apple sticks to knaw on.. and only 1/4 cup of pellets... I like to think that's helping him..

snug's gets stressed just going to the vets.. then he's ticked when I'm there to take him home.. :D

hope that helps.. ;)

Mandy

Latest posts

Back