Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephanieBBL

Reaction score
Hi. So I have raised rabbits since 2013 and recently took in a 4 yr old Holland Lop. Well after his quarantine period was over, he began to have runny eyes. Just in one. Now he has it in 2 and some snot (milky colored) come out of his nose. He has also started sneezing. I worry that it is snuffles and I don't have the money to take him to a vet currently due to the current issues of the world. I worry about his health. He is still eating and drinking as normal. He is still a pretty active bun.

I guess my question is: Is there any way to treat Snuffles at home and without antibiotics? So any at-home remedies I can do? They say that it is like an upper respiratory infection so I am hoping there is something I can do for him. Thank you for reading this far.

Hi, I had same problem with a rescue rabbit last winter, same symptoms I use herbal teas to clean his nose and eyes, also I gave him chamomile tea a few times a day and sprinkled dry chamomiles on his hay, he was fine in 2-3 days. But I can't guarantee that this will work for you. I generally don't use antibiotics myself, unless it is absolutely necessary.

Also make sure he is warm and if he is housed outdoors he's protected from elements or if he's indoor there's no drafts as well.

Hope he will get better soon, please keep us updated

Did you let him drink chamomile tea? I just heated some up and sat it in his cage but not sure if I can let him drink it?

I have brought him inside today after leaving him outside. He will be staying in my room for now. I will go get him some timothy hay out of our shed tomorrow. What other herbal teas did you use?

I waited until it is a bit warmer than room temperature and filled his bottle with it, he liked it and drunk about 60 ml, but not all rabbits like chamomile tea sometimes you need to give with a dropper or teaspoon or some other way, just like you give medicine

For humans I use thyme, chamomile usually, there are some herbs with strong antiseptic like sage, if you have chamomile it should work

But no sugar, right? just to make sure

No. It is just straight chamomile tea. I read they weren't supposed to have sugary tea.

My other bun doesn't like chamomile tea she just won't drink it, well she did but she thought it was just water, when she realised she looked very disappointed. But she loves dried chamomile so I give her just dried and thyme as well, I am growing my own so always have some fresh or dried.

I also give fresh herbs when my rabbits look unhealthy just to boost their mood they love fresh mint

Latest posts

Back