Snuffles Treatment Failure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinobunny

Reaction score
My 2.7 kg bunny has snuffles and we took him to the vet.The vet doesn’t know enough with rabbit health first he gave single dose Amoxicillin shot it didn’t work,second he tried Tylosin it didn’t work, third he gave 5 days treatment with 0.18 ml of Baytril (which equals 3.3 mg/kg of enrofloxacin not 10 mg/kg.I learned that correct dose is 10 mg/kg.)My bunny improved but not healed completely so i continued for Baytril with correct dose.He is on 5 low dose+7correct dose Baytril treatment today.His runny eyes doesn’t get better and i noticed some yellow fur around his nose again :( I’m doing injections myself and it is stressful to me plus now that seeing it seems not working again. Should i continue to inject him more baytril? I don’t think it is going to work, and i dont want to go this vet who messed up many times. There are not any rabbit savvy vet. Im on my own. What should i do

My 2.7 kg bunny has snuffles and we took him to the vet.The vet doesn’t know enough with rabbit health first he gave single dose Amoxicillin shot it didn’t work,second he tried Tylosin it didn’t work, third he gave 5 days treatment with 0.18 ml of Baytril (which equals 3.3 mg/kg of enrofloxacin not 10 mg/kg.I learned that correct dose is 10 mg/kg.)My bunny improved but not healed completely so i continued for Baytril with correct dose.He is on 5 low dose+7correct dose Baytril treatment today.His runny eyes doesn’t get better and i noticed some yellow fur around his nose again :( I’m doing injections myself and it is stressful to me plus now that seeing it seems not working again. Should i continue to inject him more baytril? I don’t think it is going to work, and i dont want to go this vet who messed up many times. There are not any rabbit savvy vet. Im on my own. What should i do
Should i try zithromax next? I feel so helpless i don’t know what to do i just want to make him healthy again :(

Please do not continue to bump your post when nobody answers right away.

Jenny has already given you good advice in one of your previous threads
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threa...etely-snuffles-treatment.102042/#post-1177832This type of infection needs to be treated for WEEKS not days. You cannot expect to see results so quickly. And immediatly switching between drugs so quickly will also help created antibiotic resistance.

Please do not continue to bump your post when nobody answers right away.

Jenny has already given you good advice in one of your previous threads
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threa...etely-snuffles-treatment.102042/#post-1177832This type of infection needs to be treated for WEEKS not days. You cannot expect to see results so quickly. And immediatly switching between drugs so quickly will also help created antibiotic resistance.
Wasn’t trying to bump my post, i just wanted to add stuff i forgot in panic. Thanks anyway

If you don't want to keep having to do injections, baytril is usually pretty safe to be given by oral suspension. In fact, that is how it is most often administered to rabbits. Though they do usually hate the taste of it, so may fuss about taking it willingly.

If the symptoms aren't worsening on the baytril, but staying the same or getting better even slightly, I would continue with it and give it more time to work. If the symptoms are worsening and showing that the baytril isn't proving effective anymore, zithromax may be more effective. But just be aware that it can cause stomach cramping and loss of appetite in some rabbits. So you'll need to make sure your rabbit continues eating well and pooping normally.

Latest posts

Back