Snowy's hurt her front paw....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly how/when she did it- she was sleeping a lot of this morning so I didn't see her hopping around to know if she'd already hurt it- but I picked her up (always a struggle- she kicks a lot :?) and put her in the outside pen for playtime and then she was limping on her front right paw....

She was still running about quite happily, but she was definately limping on it, and is avoiding putting much weight on it when she's resting...

I called and made a precautionary vet appt- for tomorrow afternoon at 4pm. I figure it's good to have it just in case and if she looks better in the morning, I can cancel, right?

She's still eating, etc, but I'm wondering if I should give her some Metacam to make her more comfortable? (I have an unopened bottle) I did have a look at it when I brought her back inside (very carefully) but I couldn't feel much as I'm no expert and she really didn't like me touching it. :?

She's not obviously in LOADS of pain but she definately looks uncomfortable with it... I may be over-cautious here but I thought better safe than sorry? What do you guys think?

I really hope I didn't hurt my baby Snow-Snows! :(

:?

Hi, sounds like she may have sprained it but you never know until a vet examines/or xray. If I were you, and she has her normal appetite, I would not give any metacam at this point. I feel like it can mask the problem, because she may have something else going on with her leg and the pain may change but you wouldn't be able to see it if she were on pain meds. It really depends how her appetite is but right now I would restrict her movement (if possible, lol) offer food, monitor and wait for vet.

If you think she is really uncomfortable or getting there, I see no harm in giving it especially since her appetite may be affected at that point. But hopefully she feels better before anything changes!

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing, that it might hide something if I were to give her pain meds. Plus catching her to give them I worried might hurt her more...

Right now she's laying down, she's managed to get onto the first shelf ok in the cage, her paws are tucked underneath her, but you can see that one's not quite tucked right, you know? It's sort of sticking out a little... I put some hay right in front of her though and she munched away...

I'll watch her very carefully.... Of course, if she gets a lot lot worse at any point, I'll always take her into the emergency vets tonight or the morning :)

Chalk sort of sprained her back leg, at around Xmas time, and she was fine within a day or so, so I hope this is the same sort of thing!

I agree with all above
Wise decision to take her to the vet
I first thought she may have a cut on her pad but if her foot is sticking out at an odd angle may be more

let us know:?

Thanks guys! (BLIMEY post counts have gone up!) I have been out to the shops and to get some food...

She's still not putting much weight on it at all- she sits up with that paw on the ground but it seems to hover more than sit there... She still doesn't seem to be in any more pain than she was, and she's grooming herself etc. She's getting about ok as well, just holding it up as she hops, which is a bit worrying, but good that she's still lively-ish. She's not the kind of bunny to be bouncing around all the time anyway, so no need to worry about her overdoing it I don't think.... :?

Maureen, I took a good look at her nails, her pad etc and there was no cuts, no pulled nails or anything so it's definately nothing external. I guess that means either a sprain, fracture or break, right? :? If there was bad damage would it be swollen at all? It's not...

Thanks!!

If there was a break I think she would be holding it at an odd angle...maybe a fracture of a small bone ....

maybe asprain

I would think there would be swelling or puffiness but not necessarily. I am thinking that when I broke my finger it didn't swell :?

If she's eating drinking pooping and acting normal she probably is not in much pain....
this is stressful...not knowing :(

Ok.... thanks Maureen :hug: Bless you, you are such an asset to the Infirmary!

She's still seeming ok.... I really really hope it isn't a break of some kind.... my main worry is that being a Saturday it might be a locum vet and he/she wont be rabbit savvy and take it that seriously.... In which case I'm not sure whether to push for an x-ray like its an emergency or wait and see a bun-savvy vet on Monday? Hopefully we will get a bun-savvy vet!!

We're going to bed now, she seems more than stable enough for the night....

Update in the morning!!

:pray:

prayers for a good night.

She might be a bit stiff and sore in the morning.
Make sure you warm her up good before she moves around too much.
Maybe bundle her up in a warm blankie fresh from the dryer and a morning snuggle ;). It will help blood circulation to the injured area, too.

Thanks Jim! You've obviously not met Snowy lol.... she is not the one for snuggles and cuddles!! :p

She seems ok this morning though- still limping but she's managing with it ok, and is still doing the 'breakfast dance' with vigour as usual! I'm guessing that the vet will probably say she's just sprained it but I'd like to make sure... She's sleeping a lot today as usual so it's hard to say how it's affecting her hop style still.... :?

Vets is in an hour, I'll update after that! :)

Actually, they just called and brought it forward a little, so it's actually in half an hour now...

We are back from the vets!

We got a rabbit-savvy vet! WOO! She checked Snowy's paw very carefully and there's no broken toes, no cuts, she can't feel any swelling or anything so we don't suspect anything serious right now. We tried to get her to hop round the vet room and she seems to be using it a lttle more than she was yesterday. The vet mentioned bunny arthritis but thinks that she's too young for that right now and since it came on quite suddenly it's unlikely. Plus all her joints are moving well! Snowy was quite flattered at being called a young bunny :) She cuddled into me like nothing else, bless her...

Anyway, she got a shot of metacam, we've got more at home to give her tomorrow if needed, and she just said to keep her quiet for the next couple of days, and bring her back if it gets any worse/doesn't improve and they will x-ray.

The bill was HUGE!!! Well, today's was small, only £30, but when she had her dental surgery and x-rays etc back in July Pet Plan didn't pay because we had only taken out the insurance less than 14 days before. So we had to settle that bill of £300/ $600 as well :shock::shock::shock: Small price to pay for no angry vets and a healthy Snowy though.... They were happy for us to pay it off over time or something and didn't even mention it until we bought it up but we preferred to get it out of the way. Bless them!

That's good
I was thinking they would do an x-ray but they would have to sedate her.

Ihope thatshe improves over time.

it's possible that she caught it in something and twisted it a little?/

Thanks! :)

It's entirely possible she twisted it somehow- she struggled a lot when I picked her up, and I was trying to hold her firm, but I don't remember her catching that paw on me or anything, although I guess it's still possible! I put her down in the pen, and then went straight back in to get another bun, so I didn't see if she did anything then or not, and she landed on the grass fine.... I guess we'll never know.... :?

And yeah they would have to sedate her for x-ray, which is part of the reason we decided against it for now- although it'll be done on Monday if she's no better for sure!

She is! She's a lot better since she's had her metacam as well. :)

She did the dinner dance tonight too :D She runs circles round Steve when he picks up the bowls and then runs round again when he brings it back in. Then she digs out some tasty treat- like a parsley stalk or some banana and runs around with it in her mouth, sort of like a happy food dance. Then she runs back and munches away so fast you'd wonder why she didn't get jaw ache! I really need to video it sometime!

I am so glad she is starting to get better! I sprained my wrist a couple times so I can feel Snowy's pain. I am sure she'll be up and runnig soon. Although it seems she already is!

Aly!:)

PS OH and did you see we beat the record for most users online tonight!

She did the breakfast dance this morning! But then the metacam must have been wearing off a bt because she started limping a lot more... I gave her some more at about 5-6pm (it's 21.40 here now) and she's seemed a lot better since then....

I'm not sure what that tells me really, except that she was in pain, but not enough to be obviously uncomfortable- no teeth grinding- she's still flopping, and still eating healthily etc...

:?:?:?

Latest posts

Back