Snowball passed away 9/11/20.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindner.michelle

Reaction score
He was almost 10. He had had a chronic sinus infection for the past 2 years. I was giving him antibiotics daily. He would sneeze and try to clear his nose but he was always 'stuffy'.

As far as I could tell he was fine the night before this happened. He was hopping about, exploring, eating, drinking, begging for treats - just a normal evening. In the morning I was cleaning his cage as he munched on some hay when I was done he begged for dehydrated apples. His favorite. I cut them into very very tiny pieces. It was his habit to hoover them up like someone might take them away.

I thought he had gotten too many in his mouth because all of a sudden he looked like he was choking. I had never seen him choke before.

I grabbed him and tried to swish his mouth with my pinky, I got a little piece out. He was still in distress. I tried to help him by placing him across my arm to protect his back and lift him up and bring him down to force air into his nose/mouth to dislodge whatever was there. THEN his nose ran like crazy - clear mucus seemed to pour out of him. I wiped him clean did it again and wiped him clean. He seemed to calm but I could tell he was trying to breathe.

When our dear vet opened at 8 am I was there practically pounding on the door. He was in distress and I wanted him looked at. They took him inside. Only pets are allowed in right now because of COVID. My vet called and said he had given him pain medicine, penicillan and he was on a heating pad because he had a low temp. He said he heart had stopped but they were able to revive him with oxygen. He would call after he too x-rays to see how his lungs looked. At 12:15 the vet called and said that he had passed. I do not know if he got any x-rays. I am grateful that he was with our vet and in the best care possible during his last hours.

I was very frightened when I could see his distress and could not help him.

The vet said it probably was the inability to swallow the apple because of the mucus in his throat that caused him to gag and salivate and then not be able to breathe. I am so grateful he seemed fine right up until the incident.

I would not have wanted him to go on and on suffering. But it was a shock.

Our whole family was in tears Friday. I cried when I put his favorite tunnel away, I cried when I threw away his basil plant. I keep thinking I will see him run across the room. He will be missed. He brought such joy to our home.

He was my first pet. He came to us when I was 43 years old. I feel so lucky he was part of our family. I know his is running and binky- ing and breathing without being stuffy in heaven.

Thank you for letting me share.

Have a lovely day everyone and cherish your fur babies.

-Michelle

I'm so very sorry 😥
It's never easy to lose a pet when they bring so much joy to our lives. Just remember that he is no longer in any pain and he's happily doing binkies and zoomies to his hearts content in a large field with all the clover and hay he could ever eat ❤

I'm so very sorry 😥
It's never easy to lose a pet when they bring so much joy to our lives. Just remember that he is no longer in any pain and he's happily doing binkies and zoomies to his hearts content in a large field with all the clover and hay he could ever eat ❤
Thank you! That is exactly what I keep thinking:)

I am so sorry for your loss. Sounds like he choked, poor bunny. For anyone interested, there is a lecture by Dana Krempels on choking on youtube.

I'm so sorry for your loss. From the way you talk about him anyone can tell he was very loved and I'm sure he knew it.

So sorry for your lost, I know how you feel, thinking a pet who has passed away will suddenly run into the room, then realizing they never will.

I am so sorry for your loss. Sounds like he choked, poor bunny. For anyone interested, there is a lecture by Dana Krempels on choking on youtube.
Thank you. I tried the centrifugal force bunny heimlich and his nose ran like crazy. I really think he was choking on built up mucus. The rattling was frightening I never heard anything like it before. Poor little love. Thank you for sharing the video and information.

Latest posts

Back