snotty nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvdutchrabbbits90

Reaction score
my 1 year old lionhead doe has white snot running from her nose. We tried one round of meds from the vet didn't work. We have been giving her one shot a day of penicillon since the first round was done. Now the vet has given us a round of baytril. Anyone ever treated a rabbit with this? I think she got sick because she lives in the rabbitry and I thought she was bred so I brought her in the house, she wasn't bred so I took her back out. So I think it was from being switched from cold to warm.

iluvdutchrabbbits90 wrote:
my 1 year old lionhead doe has white snot running from her nose. We tried one round of meds from the vet didn't work. We have been giving her one shot a day of penicillon since the first round was done. Now the vet has given us a round of baytril. Anyone ever treated a rabbit with this? I think she got sick because she lives in the rabbitry and I thought she was bred so I brought her in the house, she wasn't bred so I took her back out. So I think it was from being switched from cold to warm.
i am sorry to hear the bun is sick,,-yes-there is a problem./.was this penicillin/(G)??-it would also seem odd to then start baytril-??-anyway,yes-have there been any facial xrays-??-eye teeth grow into the tear ducts causing blockage/infection of the tear ducts/--out the nose-- front upper teeth may be the culprit/sinus infection/-and this will affect everything from eating/chewing/gitract/pooping/-oh,yes-immune system has to try and fight this,...i recommend facial radiographs-(to isolate the problem)-,hopefully blood testing will not be required -$$--note that when giving any antibiotics one must also give probotics-otherwise the gitract will be impaired//-make sure to offer lots of quality timothy/orchard grasses,,water,,some pellets-and t.l.c--sincerely james waller:halo:wink

You can give them at the same time. I have successfully treated a URI in one rabbit with Baytril. You do not want to give yogurt, though. Use a different, non-milk-based probiotic. BeneBac from the pet store or ProBios from the farm store are best. IF you can't get those, get a human probiotic that is lactose free and cut open the capsules to give the dried powder inside. Rabbits cannot digest the lactose in yogurt.

Latest posts

Back