SNIFFERS HAD BABIES!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello this mornin i fed mommy and reached in an felt babies. sniffers just sniffed me as if to say what u doin? i petted her an gave her plenty of food, extrahay n water. i bragged about then all day at work! they all think i have a zoo!lol!theyare right i do!i just got home a bit ago anchecked the babies all 9 are doing well so far. i let mommy bun out for a bit of exercise and a carrot. shes enjoyin her time out. i keep reading ur only suppose to allow then to raise 6 at a time. do you think she'll be ok with nine? i did get a bigger water bottle today along with a nursing bottle. just in case i might need it.i have a nursing bottle for my hamsters but its too small. i have new mommy jitters. lol i know shes anew mommy an want to make sure she is a good one. i am a pro at hamsters but new to breeding buns. so this is all exciting and jittery too!

bluebird wrote:
Ih ave raised Dutch for many years my son has 3.I breed at 6 or 7 months i wouldn't wait till they are a year old sometimes if you wait that long you never get babies.bluebird

i have all my buns in seperate cages. ever since i got sniffers n thumper i have let them both out together almost every day for exercise and to play. they have bonded since day one. sniffers matured soon sersince she was older. thumper didn't mature till around5-6mths. i continued to let them out hoping they would produce. after the fake pregancy i read up and started writing it down when ever i let them out. so i have been trying with them from the moment thumper started mounting. i am pleased so far.

The ONLY 6 to raise is Bunko , I havehad A Dutch Mother raise 12 in one litter and 10 in another ,with no losses and no added stress on themother.

This is going to sound Harsh but itsfact, If 9 were NOT meant to survive they would have passedover . One of MyFrench Lop Mothers had 11 babies , only 6 survived,Those 6 are very happy fat huge babies and have allbeen placed with another Breeder who is using them in hisline.

Personally I do not condone culling an infant litter to acertain number ,UNLESS the mother is to weakend to handle however many, Hand rearing baby rabbits isnt for theinexperienced nor the faint of heart. I say Leavethem with the Mother.

thanks for the adivce! everyone is soo helpful here. itell all my costumers that buy rabbits or have rabbit sat workabout the forum. :D

i've hand raised birds, and hamsters. so i know what to expect. and would have no problem hand raising them if it would be better for mom. the only thing is i would have to take them to work with me and not sure what my bosses would think.maybe i'll ask my boss tomorrow. he knows all about them and i have mentioned i may hand raise a few. so far i'm taking it day by day and keepin a close eye on them.

Here's a recent pic of the babies! All are doing fine. getting more hair now! although I'm worried about one of the babies it's really small and thin. do you think i should hand feed it? i was thinking of hand feeding it a few times a day while still letting it with mommy. just to make sure its getting enough food. right now all i have is powedered human milk. but might get kmr tomorrow from work. any suggestions?

if u look in the pic u can see the smallest one is the grey one in the middle towards the bottum of pick.its very tiny and skiny. i just took that pic earlier. the kit is so tiny i can see its ribs. where the rest are all good size and plump.this is why i'm worried.

The little one may be a peanut or a runt. I've had them before and they usually don't last more than a week or two.

I would try getting momma bun to sit still long enough to feed the little one for a bit on his own. Just make sure the momma doesn't get upset and kick or step on the little one. Feeding off the momma's milk won't be a shock to his tummy like KMR might be.

Best of luck with him. I'll be praying for him.

--Dawn

i let sniffers out did a spot clean. checked on babies fed the tinest one a bit of Kmr. all are doing ok so far. growin more n more each day. i plan on feeding him once a day while still letting him feed from mommy. just to give him an added boost. i did this for a runt hamster and he is now named tiny and is a happy hammy.i know that if he died while i did nothing i would feel guilty and wonder what if. so i at least have to try and help him/her. i will keep u posted.

Sniffers is doing great! shes being an excellent mommy. getting spoiled as usual! i think she enjoys her time out away from babies and she goes right back in. shes a really sweet bunny. i never have to chase her to put her back in cage. she always goes backin on her own. i feed buns twice a day once in mornin n at night.every mornin i reach in an check on babies, feed her andpet her. i told my boss they would be ready jan12th. he said too bad it wasn't easter. i said i can have more. so i fall goes well i'm gonna try an breed my dutch pair next. ive also decided im definately keepin one of the chocolate babies. next summer when i have my own place i'm plannin on gettin a pair of minilops from the fair. here's a new pic of sniffers she just went back in after being out.

Here is a pic of therunt. i gave him a feeding tonight. im going to feed him once a day for the next few days and see if he puts on weight. if not im gonna feed him twice a day while still leavin him with mom.

hello all! We lost the runt the day after thanksgiving. now we have 8 kits. they are doing well their eyes are open, their running around, nibblin on food and buggin mom lol! I am very proud of my sniffers for being an excellent mommy! plan on breeding her again in feb for easter. I may even breed Dutch pair then also. here's a recent pic of the kits.

attachment.php

:inlove:Just too cute!

Jan

I'm just seeing this now. What beautiful little babies. They must have you wrapped around their little paws.

:inlove:

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back