Sneezy/Cough?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul2641

Reaction score
Shadow my gaint papillion as of late has been having a sneeze/cough kinda thing, Any advice on what I should do, I am thinking of bringing him to the vet.

Sounds like he has a respiratory infection; you should take him to the vet for a culture and sensitivity to see what bacteria is causing it and then most likely the vet will start a course of antibiotics. It is important that the drug is strong enough to complelely kill off the bacteria and given for a long enoughperiod of time.

Iwould make an appt sooner than later
Good Luck and let us know how he is :)

pasterella,comes to mind,..that is when a rabbits immune system is overwellmed with the bacteria-(it has)requiring antibiotics,(upper resperitory infection.) a nasal culture is in order to identify the bacteria,and proper treatment started,rabbits can sneeze and cough but lack the muscles for throwing up/therefore they suffocate and die,,anything in must go all the way through-this is why a diet of 70% fiber is very important..ie timothy/orchard grasses/hay,..sincerely james waller

angieluv wrote:
If it's already in his chest don't delay the appointment...
I've only €17 so I'm going to have to ask mam to pay the bill and hopefully the vet will give him an antiboitic and do the neuter at a cheapish enough cost! My vet hates giving antiboitics though!

The best I can do Is bring him in on wens, As today was a bank holiday so the vet was closed, Tomorrow We are going to the Zoo, and Wens is the best I can do. Mam said he was alot better today, Is there a chance he is fighting it off with the bueatiful weather we are having?

The vet won't do a neuter on a rabbit with chest congestion because of the risk of anesthesia on a bun with a URI;

Have the infection treated first..

angieluv wrote:
The vet won't do a neuter on a rabbit with chest congestion because of the risk of anesthesia on a bun with a URI;

Have the infection treated first..
I will have to see what he says, Because he seemed really healthy in the good weather today! So I Will just get is opinion and ask him what he will do!

Was at the vet getting him neutered yesterday and I popped in the question about his possible infection, the vet said he was a little weezy but nothing to worry about, I'll be back in 2 weeks to get the stitches out and he said if shadow hasn't improved he will give him an antibiotic!

sneezing/coughing,.dear paul 2641,.our inside rabbit(raisin) was sneezing periodically for two weeks,concerned he visited a competent vet-a nasal culture was positive for enterococcus-a bad bacteria,which thrives in internal oxygen rich areas,causing upper respiratory infections, he has been taking trimethoprim sulfate-antibiotic for a week now,seems better,has another week to go with medicine,..it cost about $150.00 us dollars,i do not know what the exchange rate is or i could convert to your dollars,..i hope thios helps your bun,..sincerely james waller

james waller wrote:
sneezing/coughing,.dear paul 2641,.our inside rabbit(raisin) was sneezing periodically for two weeks,concerned he visited a competent vet-a nasal culture was positive for enterococcus-a bad bacteria,which thrives in internal oxygen rich areas,causing upper respiratory infections, he has been taking trimethoprim sulfate-antibiotic for a week now,seems better,has another week to go with medicine,..it cost about $150.00 us dollars,i do not know what the exchange rate is or i could convert to your dollars,..i hope thios helps your bun,..sincerely james waller
James is right that if he
is "a little wheezy" and it is continuing that it should be cultured and he should be placed on antibiotics for at least a few weeks.

Got his staples out today from his neuter, And asked the vet about the wheezy cough, the vet said it was a very mild case of pastoria(something along the lines of that) and he it is caused by stress, he also added he prob came with it, as He travelled a long way to get to me! He didn't give my any antibiotics because it was such a mild case, but he said to be "Well done for spotting it and getting something done". He said he "didn't want to put him on antibiotics for such a small case because it the medician might damage his GI flow!

Sometimes a vet will feel that once a rabbit settles in to a new home and relaxes that the immune system will become strong enough to fight off a mild pasturella infection without meds...and often the rabbit can do that

I had a vet tell me this with a rabbit who occasionally had a tiny amount of yellowishdischarge on his nose now and then. it was very infrequently

I'm far from being a vet but if it was my rabbitI would be more concerned if he has something in his chest.
if it is very mild then continue to watch him like a hawk but if it gets at all worse take him back and push for treatment.

He has never ever had any discharge! And I am being very watchful! Thanks so much everyone for the words of wisdom.

Latest posts

Back