Sneezing (thymoma found as cause)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So now after reaching 1.52 kg weight she is down to 1.44. Not eating as much as in the beginning. She still eats the same amount of pellets and all the vitamin tablets however: 5 minute hay eating per session. She is still drinking a lot.
I don't know why.

Poops are normal, and they don't seem tiny.

Vet appointment will be on the 21st.

Again: I'm frustrated, that is the soonest appointment I could get. :(

Maybe it's unrelated. Increased drinking and reduced hay consumption can sometimes be signs of dental issues. Hopefully it's not due to the thymoma and your vet can figure out what's causing it.

Maybe it's unrelated. Increased drinking and reduced hay consumption can sometimes be signs of dental issues. Hopefully it's not due to the thymoma and your vet can figure out what's causing it.
He is still eating oxbow digestive and multivitamin which are hard to chew, also I tampered around her mouth (outside) to see any reaction/discomfort from her, but nothing.

Anyway I will report back on the vet's findings.

So blood test results:

The steroid affected her liver so we are administering her liver protector.

Anyone who is administering these forums: You can close this topic. She passed away an hour ago.

I’m so sorry for you’re loss. You did the absolute most you could have done😞
Not really. I should have noticed that its a breathing problem and shoul have taken her to the vet earlier.
Anyway..........ah, maybe I will write some tomorrow, or after that. I really can't right now.

I know how easy it is to second guess yourself and feel like you didn't do enough, when you're looking back with hindsight. But when you're in the midst of the problem, things are much more complicated than that. All we can do is our best based on the information and help that we have at the time, and you certainly did that. But I know that it's hard to feel that truth in your heart when you're hurting so much from the loss.

And you really did do a remarkable job persisting in getting the diagnosis and care your rabbit needed, despite your vet giving you an incorrect diagnosis multiple times. Most pet owners would have gone with what their vet told them. You had no reason to think it was anything other than what the vet said, let alone a rare condition in rabbits. It was only your repeated insistence of getting to the bottom of things, that the true cause was actually found. Without your determination it may never have been discovered.

This allowed some treatment to be started and gave your bun a little more time with you. I know it's not as long as you hoped, but I strongly believe it's time you wouldn't have otherwise had with her if you hadn't been as persistent as you were with the vets instead of settling with their original diagnosis.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, and I hope time will ease the pain of your loss and you'll be able to find the comfort you need and deserve, of knowing you provided your bun with a good life full of love ❤️ ♥️ ❤️

I know how easy it is to second guess yourself and feel like you didn't do enough, when you're looking back with hindsight. But when you're in the midst of the problem, things are much more complicated than that. All we can do is our best based on the information and help that we have at the time, and you certainly did that. But I know that it's hard to feel that truth in your heart when you're hurting so much from the loss.

And you really did do a remarkable job persisting in getting the diagnosis and care your rabbit needed, despite your vet giving you an incorrect diagnosis multiple times. Most pet owners would have gone with what their vet told them. You had no reason to think it was anything other than what the vet said, let alone a rare condition in rabbits. It was only your repeated insistence of getting to the bottom of things, that the true cause was actually found. Without your determination it may never have been discovered.

This allowed some treatment to be started and gave your bun a little more time with you. I know it's not as long as you hoped, but I strongly believe it's time you wouldn't have otherwise had with her if you hadn't been as persistent as you were with the vets instead of settling with their original diagnosis.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, and I hope time will ease the pain of your loss and you'll be able to find the comfort you need and deserve, of knowing you provided your bun with a good life full of love ❤️ ♥️ ❤️
Thank you for your kind words.

So we took her to the emergency vet, and she passed away in the car on the road. They were able to bring her back to life for a brief moment but that was about it. Her stomach was really gassy and also her breathing was really bad.

If you want I can share some videos about how she looked 20 minutes before passing....

Maybe I should have opted for the radiation therapy :(

I'm thinking about requesting an autopsy. This last week was really strange:
-Either the thymoma grew so much that she could no longer breath properly (however last week monday we were at the vet and she told us that her breath is about the same as 2 months ago)
-The steroid affected her liver but according to our vet not in a way that would cause this severe condition (completley not eating for 2-3 days)
-We overfed her?! (we gave him 30ml Critical care (30ml with water) in 3-4 hour intervals)

So those are my possible scenarios I could think of.

I'm thinking about requesting an autopsy. This last week was really strange:
-Either the thymoma grew so much that she could no longer breath properly (however last week monday we were at the vet and she told us that her breath is about the same as 2 months ago)
-The steroid affected her liver but according to our vet not in a way that would cause this severe condition (completley not eating for 2-3 days)
-We overfed her?! (we gave him 30ml Critical care (30ml with water) in 3-4 hour intervals)

So those are my possible scenarios I could think of.

Please don't second guess yourself and try to come up with the reason/s your bunbun passed. Only a necropsy can provide you the answers and it won't change anything except knowing why.
My late Black beauty passed away within 10 days of showing sickness and I fought with myself over the care I gave, and was able to do. Upon the first visit, the Vet gave meds and critical care, but it didn't seem to do anything so I took her back to the vet where she passed away in the waiting room with me holding her head and petting her side ❤️💔❤️ To me, my girl had a breathing problem due to how she held her head up into the air in the last few days I had her home, but the vet said they didn't see any obstruction when they did the x-ray after she passed, while i waited for them in a room. I was told there was gas and sludge but no obstruction in her airway. I chose not to do necropsy because I had her widowbun at home who I could better use the money for if needed, considering the necropsy would only give me an answer and not change my girl being gone.

My condolences to your heart. Just know it hurts so much because they take a piece of our hearts with them when they go ❤️🕊️. .I think so they can find us and give it back when it's our time to leave this plain🥰.
Be kind to yourself, and remember the good memories you shared with your bunbun

I think when a rabbit has a critical illness like thymoma where it's affecting the heart and lungs, unforseen complications are always a possibility. Rabbits can be fragile and sometimes their hearts can just give out without any warning. A necropsy may provide answers, but just know that sometimes they can be inconclusive.

There's no way to know for sure, but I think radiation would have been an even more difficult experience for you and your bun, with no guarantees it would have changed the outcome or made it better. Allow yourself to believe that you made the best choice possible for your bun, as it very well can be that it was. You can't know if the other choices would have made anything better or given you any more time with her. They may have even given you less. You gave her a good life, as hard as I know it is, try and focus as best you can on that.

So it's been a while....I'm still shocked by what happened, but that's not the point.
The autopsy didn't reveal anything since they've sent it to a place where they only do "viral" examination of the body. The person who performed the autopsy said that she saw some kind of stuff around the lungs but she didn't bother with it since from a virus perspective it was irrelevant.
Of course all of the virus tests passed, no infections or any other parasitic stuff. (But that was 99% obvious)

Also when we got the report it was somewhat suspicious since they wrote "Bunny weighing 2.8kg" (Her weight was around 1.5kg). "Luckily" i was able to contact them and before She was handed over for cremation I could persuade them to bring back the body to weigh her to make sure that they didn't swap/misplaced her. So in the and it turned out it was only a typo on the document....

By now She is with us, of course (in an urn).

Latest posts

Back