Sneezing (thymoma found as cause)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the ultrasound happened today :(
It is almost certain that it is cancer. They took a "sample" of it to identify what kind of cancer is it.
The "nose sample" they took came back as "negative" it is quite certain that the sneezing and the runny eye is due to this cancer and not because of an infection.
Also her partner Bunny is 100% percent without any infection signs. (no sneezing, no runny eye etc)
Will post the result of the cancer sample. approx in 1 week.

So, the ultrasound happened today :(
It is almost certain that it is cancer. They took a "sample" of it to identify what kind of cancer is it.
The "nose sample" they took came back as "negative" it is quite certain that the sneezing and the runny eye is due to this cancer and not because of an infection.
Also her partner Bunny is 100% percent without any infection signs. (no sneezing, no runny eye etc)
Will post the result of the cancer sample. approx in 1 week.
I hope for the best for your bunny. One of older buns has a big lump and is getting an ultrasound, also, and I am very worried about cancer. Plus she was probably never spayed by the rescue 5 years ago, it turns out, a double whammy for my bunny.

I hope for the best for your bunny. One of older buns has a big lump and is getting an ultrasound, also, and I am very worried about cancer. Plus she was probably never spayed by the rescue 5 years ago, it turns out, a double whammy for my bunny.
Thanks.
Is your Bunny a female one?
Let me know how the ultrasound turns out. Fingers crossed!

It is Thymoma. Size is approx like a pingpong ball. Surgery is not an option.
There is a steroid pill which can help decrease/keep the size at bay.

The blood test is okay otherwise.
Also I had my other Bunny's blood sampled as well, he is ok as well.

If someone is interested I can show the blood results in detail.

:( :(

Anyone has experience with these steroid type of drugs for thymoma? (I yet to know the exact name of the drug, sorry)

I had a rabbit that had a suspected thymoma, but by the time the cause of his health issues was found, there wasn't a whole lot that could be done. The vet prescribed steroids, but I can't remember what drug it was exactly, just that it was in predrawn syringes for me to give. And he ended up passing not too long after that was started.

But there's info here in these links, about treatments, the steroids used, and other owner experiences, if you want to look through them.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Thymoma
Medirabbit: neoplastic diseases in rabbits

I've edited your thread title to include the diagnosis, so that anyone that might have experience to share, will know the cause of your rabbits sneezing is due to the thymoma.

I had a rabbit that had a suspected thymoma, but by the time the cause of his health issues was found, there wasn't a whole lot that could be done. The vet prescribed steroids, but I can't remember what drug it was exactly, just that it was in predrawn syringes for me to give. And he ended up passing not too long after that was started.

But there's info here in these links, about treatments, the steroids used, and other owner experiences, if you want to look through them.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Thymoma
Medirabbit: neoplastic diseases in rabbits

I've edited your thread title to include the diagnosis, so that anyone that might have experience to share, will know the cause of your rabbits sneezing is due to the thymoma.
Thanks for all the info!

I've been thinking about this:
The vet told me that surgey is not an option since blabla (long story short:animal would probably die during the operation)
How about telling the vet to perform a surgey when there is nothing else to do? Like the animal is in distress and the only option is euthanasia. Would it be better to try a "last resort surgery"? Or is this a totally dumb idea?

So, some small update:
There are two ways to continue:
-Steroid using prednisone, which might give some relief (this would be a simple home care option)
-Applying radiation therapy which might decrease the size, however It is only available in Wien which is quite far away (2-3 hour just to get there), and price is around 2000 USD.

I'm dont know what to do........:( :(

So I wrote an email to (possibly) the right organization in Wien asking about the actual price. We will see whether they respond or not.
Also bought the steroid pills, now only waiting for my Vet's response on the dosage.

If you haven't already read some of the links to the personal accounts of others with rabbits that had thymoma and their experiences with the treatments they tried, it might be worth reading through those. It could give you a sense of what options worked the best and what to expect.

If you haven't already read some of the links to the personal accounts of others with rabbits that had thymoma and their experiences with the treatments they tried, it might be worth reading through those. It could give you a sense of what options worked the best and what to expect.
I'm really at a "dont know what would be the best" situation.
Radiation therapy could decrease the size but:
-6 hours drive for each session (They hate travelling and they never traveled this much)
-Could die during anesthesia
-Radiation side effects
-Might not respond to radiation
-Cost (I'm awaiting their reply about the approx cost of the therapy)

On the other hand, using steroids only, I feel "I haven't done everything for her". However it is a safer choice, but it will only slow down the "growth" of the thymoma.

Surgery according to my Vet would only be an option if the size of the thymoma would be smaller (it is 5cm according to the Vet). But of course surgey comes with high mortality rate......

I'm puzzled.........

Anyway, I'm already grateful for your time JBun! Thank you!

I would think that having radiation done, and then what could essentially be open heart surgery, would be a very difficult and stressful process for a rabbit to go through. From what I remember of the personal accounts I read with just the radiation, it seemed to only extend the rabbits life a few more months, and the process itself was a difficult one for the rabbits. I do think you have to weigh what the rabbit will have to go through for any particular treatment, when deciding if the benefit of a treatment outweighs the difficulties of the treatment.

I would think that having radiation done, and then what could essentially be open heart surgery, would be a very difficult and stressful process for a rabbit to go through. From what I remember of the personal accounts I read with just the radiation, it seemed to only extend the rabbits life a few more months, and the process itself was a difficult one for the rabbits. I do think you have to weigh what the rabbit will have to go through for any particular treatment, when deciding if the benefit of a treatment outweighs the difficulties of the treatment.
Yes you are right. My only "pain" is that maybe I didn't do everything? I'm already guilty not noticing this earlier. This cancer wouldn't have grown that large then.

That’s definitely a tough situation. I guess you have to balance the options

How long would your rabbit have if you just used the home remedy? Would she have years or just a few months if you only used the steroid? Does the steroid reduce the symptoms so she’s fairly pain free and comfortable with the time she has left? (Quality of life consideration)

Vs.

How many radiation treatments are needed to reduce the thymoma size to surgery eligible? (Consideration on cost + radiation danger, if it one session it’s worth considering but if it’s 5+ sessions it may be too hard on your rabbit and would cost an astronomical amount especially considering surgery still needs to happen).

What are her chances of surviving surgery and how much time and how hard will it be for her to recover? How much time would she actually gain by going through radiation and surgery plus the long recovery process? (Time gained consideration)

Regardless of what you choose, you are doing what you think is right for your bunny. It’s not always easy to notice something wrong with your bunny especially when they’re masters at disguising anything that’s wrong. You ARE doing everything you can ESPECIALLY by carefully considering each option so there is no need to feel guilty~

That’s definitely a tough situation. I guess you have to balance the options

How long would your rabbit have if you just used the home remedy? Would she have years or just a few months if you only used the steroid? Does the steroid reduce the symptoms so she’s fairly pain free and comfortable with the time she has left? (Quality of life consideration)

Vs.

How many radiation treatments are needed to reduce the thymoma size to a surgery eligible? (Consideration on cost + radiation danger, if it one session it’s worth considering but if it’s 5+ sessions it may be too hard on your rabbit and would cost an astronomical amount especially considering surgery still needs to happen).

What are her chances of surviving surgery and how much time and how hard will it be for her to recover? How much time would she actually gain by going through radiation and surgery plus the long recovery process? (Time gained consideration)

Regardless of what you choose, you are doing what you think is right for your bunny. It’s not always easy to notice something wrong with your bunny especially when they’re masters at disguising anything that’s wrong. You ARE doing everything you can ESPECIALLY by carefully considering each option so there is no need to feel guilty~
Not much could the vet say regarding this but:
Home remedy (Steroid) would give like 7 months to a year. Of course miracles can happen (so can disasters as well). This time was based on certain studies.
Also my vet told me that with this it would give her relief and should make the "symptoms go away".
Cost? It's almost "none".

The radiation treatment: According to my vet they tolerate it fairly well, but yeah she can die during anesthezia, and also the operation has high mortality rate.
I really don't know how much add. time would it give.
Cost? I'm waiting for Wien's university to reply to my message. but based on what my vet said it will be around 2500 USD or more (or at least that's what im expecting).

Also one other thing is that she will no longer be injected with any RHD Myxo, RHD2 vaccine...
Or at least my vet told me that she would no longer do it. Thoughts about this?

In my opinion, a possible seven months to a year more of being symptom free is really encouraging. If you go that route, I hope the steroid works miracles and gives her even more time.

With the vaccines, I guess it would depend on how how prevalent RHD2 virus and other one is in your area. Just take normal precautions on keeping your bun safe.

Do you have any idea how many radiation treatments it would take to reduce the size enough for surgery? Also she’d need to be on a very good antibiotic to recover after surgery.

I feel like you really need to get a straight answer from your vet on how much extra time you’d get to go the radiation/surgery route considering the danger honestly. (Not your fault, vets sometimes like giving really roundabout answers). This is the important question. Without surgery your bun has a decent chance of living another 7 months to a year with the symptoms not causing too much discomfort or distress. Will radiation/surgery give her a couple more years?

If it only gives her a few months more than the 7months to a year without radiation/surgery, it wouldn’t be worth it because she’d spend many months recovering from surgery and probably be in pain and distress during a portion of it only to live only a few months more. She may have to spend more time in recovery than enjoying life so it wouldn’t be worth it in comparison to just using the steroid.

On the other hand, if radiation/surgery gives her extra years (on top of 7 months to a year), it is definitely worth consideration since she may be free of the weight of the thymoma, symptoms, and cancer and have a longer life overall.

In my opinion, a possible seven months to a year more of being symptom free is really encouraging. If you go that route, I hope the steroid works miracles and gives her even more time.

With the vaccines, I guess it would depend on how how prevalent RHD2 virus and other one is in your area. Just take normal precautions on keeping your bun safe.

Do you have any idea how many radiation treatments it would take to reduce the size enough for surgery? Also she’d need to be on a very good antibiotic to recover after surgery.

I feel like you really need to get a straight answer from your vet on how much extra time you’d get to go the radiation/surgery route considering the danger honestly. (Not your fault, vets sometimes like giving really roundabout answers). This is the important question. Without surgery your bun has a decent chance of living another 7 months to a year with the symptoms not causing too much discomfort or distress. Will radiation/surgery give her a couple more years?

If it only gives her a few months more than the 7months to a year without radiation/surgery, it wouldn’t be worth it because she’d spend many months recovering from surgery and probably be in pain and distress during a portion of it only to live only a few months more. She may have to spend more time in recovery than enjoying life so it wouldn’t be worth it in comparison to just using the steroid.

On the other hand, if radiation/surgery gives her extra years (on top of 7 months to a year), it is definitely worth consideration since she may be free of the weight of the thymoma, symptoms, and cancer and have a longer life overall.
I will try to ask these question from the Vet. It is really a slow process: reaching the vet is really hard here. I'm still waiting for the vet to give me the dosage of the steroid so I can start administering it. this is the second day that I could have started it but I can't since I dont know how much should I administer. :(
Also Wien university doesn't seem to respond :(

Latest posts

Back