Sneezing (thymoma found as cause)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, fungus, hemp, and ragweed. Fungus is high, 2 others are at medium.

Also she has a male companion Rabbit and he is totally ok.

I'm worried about her, but I also don't want to stress her just by rushing to the hospital because with unexepcted visits you are to wait like 5+ hours. :(

(Sorry for my rant)
It could be allergies. Erlong begins sneezing when pollen count is high in my area. I suffer the same issue (due to pollen allergy). Whereas Xiao Wu and Loki do not have this issue. Hopefully the vet can figure it out for you and prescribe the appropriate medications, if needed.

It could be allergies. Erlong begins sneezing when pollen count is high in my area. I suffer the same issue (due to pollen allergy). Whereas Xiao Wu and Loki do not have this issue. Hopefully the vet can figure it out for you and prescribe the appropriate medications, if needed.
I assume Erlong is your Rabbit. How often does she/he sneeze per day when pollen is high?

For us this situation started like 3-4 weeks ago with a sneezing fit. And then I paid more attention that she sneezes a bit lot, and then like 1 week from the start it went away, then it came back.

Also, could you watch the video with sound when you have the opportunity? Thanks:)

I assume Erlong is your Rabbit. How often does she/he sneeze per day when pollen is high?

For us this situation started like 3-4 weeks ago with a sneezing fit. And then I paid more attention that she sneezes a bit lot, and then like 1 week from the start it went away, then it came back.
Yes. Erlong is our tripod bunny. She's a lionhead (possibly mix), and she begins sneezing about 5-6 times in a row. She hasn't been doing it since it has been raining almost nonstop for two weeks now and pollen count dropped because of it. But I fear it may start up again once the fall season plants (like golden rod, my worst enemy) begins to bloom. When we used to have Shen, it was about the same amount of times as your bunny. But he always cleaned his face after it stopped, which prompted my initial suggestion of checking the paws if she cleans herself after a sneezing fit.

Yes. Erlong is our tripod bunny. She's a lionhead (possibly mix), and she begins sneezing about 5-6 times in a row. She hasn't been doing it since it has been raining almost nonstop for two weeks now and pollen count dropped because of it. But I fear it may start up again once the fall season plants (like golden rod, my worst enemy) begins to bloom. When we used to have Shen, it was about the same amount of times as your bunny. But he always cleaned his face after it stopped, which prompted my initial suggestion of checking the paws if she cleans herself after a sneezing fit.
I see.
Also what im thinking about is that there is a dental problem. So the "teeth irritates the nose" hence the sneezing.

So 2 days ago was like sneezing every 10 minutes for 2-3 hours. And then nothing.
Now today again. Sneezing every 10 minutes.....

(No discharge from the nose)

Last edited:
Back from the vet.

Not much to do. The vet examined her. The runny eyes is just a little runny so nothing to worry about. About the sneezing: Since no discharge is present this is again nothing to worry about. Teeths are allright, so the ears, and her breathing. She gained some weight.

Maybe we could try inhaling something twice per day, this might decrease the sneezing.

Guess I was just overprotective then?

BTW when we arrived at the vet her nose was very-very wet. (strange....)

That's good to hear. Overheating can cause a rabbit to have a wet nose due to increased respirations to try and help them cool(overheating a lot is an emergency). If she is having excessive sneezing and it could be due to allergies, like I mentioned previously, if you have piriton allergy syrup(chlorphenamine maleate) there, I know that is sometimes prescribed to rabbits with allergies(in Eurpope). You could ask your vet about trying that to see if it helps.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits

Yeah, here the heat is like 40 Celsius (Outside). While the AC was running in the car while I transfered them to the vet it was still a bit hot.
(Our home is around 25-26-27 (lower 27) all time)

I will have a look at this Piriton stuff :)

Thank you again for your time JBun! :)

That's good to hear. Overheating can cause a rabbit to have a wet nose due to increased respirations to try and help them cool(overheating a lot is an emergency). If she is having excessive sneezing and it could be due to allergies, like I mentioned previously, if you have piriton allergy syrup(chlorphenamine maleate) there, I know that is sometimes prescribed to rabbits with allergies(in Eurpope). You could ask your vet about trying that to see if it helps.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits
How would you administer this syrup to the rabbit? like force feeding critical care? into the mouth via syrenge mixed with water?

I'm not finding any of these allergy "chlorphenamine maleate" stuff here in Hungary :(

Bun-Bun's vet used Benedryl for his sneezes and snuffles. He loves the taste of it too! He weighs 5 lbs and gives him 1 1/2 ml every 4 hours or as needed. Hope this helps your bunny.

Bun-Bun's vet used Benedryl for his sneezes and snuffles. He loves the taste of it too! He weighs 5 lbs and gives him 1 1/2 ml every 4 hours or as needed. Hope this helps your bunny.

Yes, Benedryl is another option, but it will depend on if they have the same type as sold here in the US. The Benedryl in Europe has a different antihistamine in it, that isn't used for rabbits.

I'm not finding any of these allergy "chlorphenamine maleate" stuff here in Hungary :(

If you have Benedryl syrup or something like it there, where the active ingredient is diphenhydramine, that is also an antihistamine considered safe for rabbits.

Yes, Benedryl is another option, but it will depend on if they have the same type as sold here in the US. The Benedryl in Europe has a different antihistamine in it, that isn't used for rabbits.

If you have Benedryl syrup or something like it there, where the active ingredient is diphenhydramine, that is also an antihistamine considered safe for rabbits.
I had no idea it was different there. My lop ear is 3 years old now. I'm dealing with mites again. Having a difficult time trying to get funds to take my bun to the vet. They gave him revolution the Las time he had it. My daughter and I are the only ones that can handle him. He bites and growls at everyone else.

Should I begin nebulizing her with saline solution (Thats what the vet recommended)?

Should I begin nebulizing her with saline solution (Thats what the vet recommended)?
Anyway we started one 10 minute session. Without any cage. We did put the nebulizer cannon next to her nose so I think that is somewhat identical as having her locked up in a cage.
(This is more familiar to her since we did at the same spot where she would recieve the force feeding . She didn't really move so it wasn't much stress to her as I could see)

Please comment. (I only care about her, if i'm doing something wrong or something I shouldn't be, tell me, I won't get offended, only her wellbeing I care about, not myself)

I'll help you as much as I can. I'm still learning too. How old is your bun? What are you feeding her?
She is around 6-7 years old. Feeding:
Hay, Water, Oxbow adult rabbit pelletts (not much), and 1 digestive support tablet (oxbow) per day.
And some leafs of fresh Basil (2-3 per day)

They (She has a male partner) are free roaming 24/7 the living room. Eating is strictyl from the ground (no hay feeder), drinking from bowl.
They are kept at 24-25-26-27 celsius (24 around winter, 27 max at summer)
They are neutered.

Aww. Well it sounds like your doing everything right. But I'd definitely try to find some allergy stuff for her. My bun is an indoor free roaming bunny too. Unfortunately I could not afford to fix him. The vet wanted $400 to neuter him. When he gets mad at me he will turn his back and ignore me. When Bun-Bun is hungry he will flip his plate over. I can't get mine to eat hay. He only wants the pellets, baby carrots and leafy greens. He goes crazy over Bananas, blueberries, and strawberries.

Latest posts

Back