Sneezing Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgieBunny

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and to bunny owning. I have a little mini lop named George. Yesterday I thought I saw snot in his nose and noticed that when I kissed him on the head his eye seemed watery and had a damp nose, but when I have tried to research it everyone says it must be the snuffles. I had him taken to the vet only a week and a half ago and she didn’t see anything wrong with him and I am hesitant to bring him again so soon especially if it is nothing. My mom also says she thought she saw him sneeze a couple of times. I was hoping someone could give me a little more insight. Thank you for any advice you may have!

Check the discharge. If it is clear, then it should not be an infection. If it turns milky in color or turns any color at all, that is a sure sign of infection and he would need medication from the vet.

Runny eyes (or nose) could also be an indication of a dental issue. Or it could be an early sign of conjunctivitis.

Conjunctivitis can be caused by the environment (hay in eye, for example), a viral infection, a bacterial infection, or a dental disorder.

I'd use a warm damp cloth to wipe his eyes and nose and then check to see if it continues or if you can see any colored (or milky) discharge. A few sneezes is nothing to be alarmed about (could be just a tickle in his nose). Just keep an eye on that discharge and on his eyes.

Well there does not seem to be any discharge and his eyes are no longer watery. Could he have some sort of allergies?

If it seems to have cleared up, it may have just been a temporary thing -- piece of hay or fur in his nose, perhaps. I wouldn't jump to thinking he has allergies if things look normal.

It could also just have been some irritation to the eye from getting some debris in it. It would have caused tearing and could also have lead to excess drainage down the tear duct resulting in a little clear dampness around the nose.

I would monitor and if it isn't reoccurring frequently I wouldn't worry about it. If there is frequent eye discharge and/or you see milky discharge like blue eyes mentioned, it would require a visit to the vet. White discharge is a sign of an infection. Ongoing discharge from the eye if it's clear, could indicate a possible scratch to the cornea, the start of conjunctivitis, or maybe debris stuck in the eye.

Well he is still sneezing, but no watery eyes. I think I saw something about a humidifier helping? Do you guys think that could work?

I don't think there should be a need for a humidifier. I live in a desert and don't need it for my rabbits. Check his hay to be sure it isn't too dusty. A photo of his setup might help us problem-solve.

This is his current cage setup.

Attachments

• D1A13583-5430-4C94-9D4D-6343D0336697.jpeg
    D1A13583-5430-4C94-9D4D-6343D0336697.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back