Sneezing a lot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there's a lot for me to learn about my bunny, and knowing what to look out for when he begins to sneeze constantly is one.
I already have a vet appointment for him, but it's not until 3/10. And as extra precaution, I began cleaning his area more often to get rid of any tracked in dirt and dust. Won't let anyone in the room if they are smoking, and I try to avoid any dust in his hay.
Just to be sure, what important things should I keep an eye out for when he begins to have a sneezing fit?
His appetite and other behavior is normal, and we already checked if he has any matted fur, snot, watery or sore eyes, found nothing. His sneezing fits slowed by a lot after I started the new cleaning routine, but just to be safe (thus the vet appointment in March), I want some general info as to what to look out for. Please and thank you.

Edit: I bought a HEPA filter for our room to help, as well, and will be cleaning our vents of any dirt and such, as well.

Thick white discharge is the most definitive sign a rabbit has an upper respiratory infection. Otherwise sneezing, when not accompanied with white/colored discharge, or just with thin clear discharge, can have other possible causes such as dust or an environmental sensitivity(bedding, type of hay, smells from chemical cleaners or household scents), and not necessarily a bacterial infection.

https://sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/rhinitis_and_sinusitis_in_rabbits.pdf
https://rabbit.org/runny-eyes-runny-nose-what-do-they-mean/
Medirabbit (URI in rabbits)

Apollo sneezes a lot in the spring time, I’m not all too sure why. But I mostly guess that it’s something bothering him, most likely his fur because he’s shedding? Maybe that’s the same for you :)

Apollo sneezes a lot in the spring time, I’m not all too sure why. But I mostly guess that it’s something bothering him, most likely his fur because he’s shedding? Maybe that’s the same for you :)
I finally got my stinker butt to let me brush him yesterday, so there's that. Wasn't easy, but at least I can get him to associate getting brushed with getting treats.

Thick white discharge is the most definitive sign a rabbit has an upper respiratory infection. Otherwise sneezing, when not accompanied with white/colored discharge, or just with thin clear discharge, can have other possible causes such as dust or an environmental sensitivity(bedding, type of hay, smells from chemical cleaners or household scents), and not necessarily a bacterial infection.

https://sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/rhinitis_and_sinusitis_in_rabbits.pdf
https://rabbit.org/runny-eyes-runny-nose-what-do-they-mean/
Medirabbit (URI in rabbits)
I am thinking it's environmental more than anything. We get dust in here really fast and really easily. There was a couple times where a piece of hay was stuck up his nose, but that was fixed quickly. His bedding is soft paper bedding, so we're thinking it may be other factors, like the environment.
My husband likes to metal work and is outside most of the day and come in smelling like forging. He won't touch Shen until after he cleans himself up, and because it's muddy out after all that snow finally melting, he takes his shoes off before entering the room.
I'm inside all day because I work from home, so between calls during my breaks, I clean Shen's area.
Fortunately, we haven't dealt with any thick white discharge. We have been eyeballing his sneezing when it begins, to be sure.

I actually found the soft paper bedding(carefresh) made me sneeze when I used to use it. Maybe it's doing the same for your bun. Also had issues with kiln dried pine shavings. I use wood pellet litter now without any issues.

Good news, it's not a respiratory infection. The vet stated Shen is in good health, but was concerned about his sneezing and recommended a 14 day antibiotic treatment. He also recommended I get the Oxbow critical care as a precaution for an emergency bunny first aid.

Latest posts

Back