sneezes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyandme

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am planning to take Oreo to the vet next month (when I get have money). But i need some advice now. Oreo sneezes...but it doesn't seem to bother her...her nose is not wet or anything. Shes as active as she ever was and eats and drinks normaly. Has anyone else experianced this?

I have thought about buying the products from this website....
http://www.petmedicinechest.com/rabbit/discussions/snufflestext.asp

A LOT of people have a lot of concerns about Pet Medicine Chest. I know there was a court case about them awhile back.

Could Oreo be allergic to dust? Does she sneeze more when you're getting to the bottom of the bag of pellets or hay?

Something to watch for.

sas et al

To me, doesn't sound like snuffles. Maybe some allergies to the dust in her pellets, hay ect. I don't think it's cirtical to take him to the vet, as some rabbits do sneeze. How often is he sneezing? Like xtimes/day?

Snuffles is usually acompanied bya runny nose (clear liquid, or in advance stages thick yellow or white) weepy eyes, and sometimes matted front paws from wiping his/her nose. If it's just sneezing, it's probably allergy related or he is sensitive to the dust.

What kind of hay, if you do give him hay are you using? Bedding? Are his pellets dusty? What time of day does he sneeze the most, and what do you do for him around that time? Takes some experiments, because I suspect he might be sensitive to dust. Have you used any new soaps, shampoos, deoderants, perfume, ect?

I have a feeling he just has a sensitive nose, I highly doubt it's snuffles. :)

Thanks for the quick replies. God bless you for helping a worried bunny mommy.
Oreo sneezes more frequently in the afternoon. I give her Timothy hay, and yeah her pellets are kinda dusty...Yep I've reached the bottom of the hay container...
I think she probably sneezes something like 2-4 times a day.
I have started using a new shampoo.
I vaccum alot..to keep the apartment Clean.

I will not be ordering the products from that site...thanks for letting me know about the court cases.

I forgot to meantion that she does not use bedding. Her cage bottom is plastic, and bare. Her litter box is lined with aspen.

It could be from the pellet dust. Maybe look into buying a cheap sifter (Just the metal handheld ones) and sifting her pellets if they seem dusty. When it comes to the bottem of the container for me and the pellet dust is at the bottem, I just sift it out. Also it could be from the hay as when you get to the bottem it's usually really dusty loose hay.

Try sifting the dusty pellets before giving it to her and if you are getting to the bottem of the hay and it's really dusty I'd just get a new bag or container. My girls used to sneeze if I didn't sift out the pellets, and still sneeze if I've given them some dusty hay. Sounds like the dust is what's the problem :D.

I know both my girls used to sneeze if my brother sprayed his strong smelling deoderant near the rabbit room- gosh I had to open up all the windows to get that awful smell away! It hurt my nose!

If it's only 2-4 times a day, most likely it's just a sensitve nose to dust. Nothing to worry about :D.

So you have aspen shavings in the litterbox? Is it dusty at all? I've found that most shavings are. You could try using a wood pellet like Woody Pet or Equine Pine instead.

My rabbit has been sneezing for the past 2 weeks, since we got her, so we took her in to a vet who prescribed some antibiotics, she really dosn't like them, but hopefully they'll help. He also mentioned the dust, but I don't really see that as a problem.

I would recommend switiching the litter from Aspen to something like Woody Pet or Yesterdays News. My Basil used to sneeze every once in a while and stopped once I switched litter.

As was suggested, sifting the food and hay is a good idea as well. It is probably just a bit of allergies, but still make sure you keep an eye on her. My Max was sneezing a lot (although his was accompanied by a runny nose) and we tried everything from antibiotics, to antihistamines, sifting hay/litter/pellets etc. It turned out to be a tooth problem in the end...so just keep in mind that sniffles/runny nose can be signs of something more.

Hope all is well with your bun..let us know if things get better :)

-Haley

I would also advise the vet visit.

Many products from Pet Medicine Chest can be helpful in treatingsymptoms of disease. The court cases involved PetMedicine Chest inaccurate and non-proven claims of diseasesbeingcured using their products.

Pam

Latest posts

Back