Snake plant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocathebun

Reaction score
I’m a new bunny owner and my bunny Coca just ate snake plant also known as mother in laws tongue. On SPCA and vet websites it says that this plant is toxic to cats and dogs. Does this mean it’s also toxic to rabbits?

They are toxic to humans as well, hopefully your rabbit will be okay but try offering him or her more hay and water to neutralise what they ate. Keep us posted hope nothing will happen, maybe diarrhea and changes in mood, I don't know what medication maybe contact your vet by phone at least

Hi thanks for the response! My local vet is closed but I’ve been feeding him lots of hay and giving him water. But his poop seems to be darker and egg shaped. Should I be concerned ?! I’ve only had him for about a month and I’m very worried

What age/size/breed is your rabbit? How much was eaten? How long ago? Is there anything he's acting strange or something, lethargic, no diarrhea? Swollen mouth etc?

I have sansevierias but always knew they are toxic so never had thi situation myself but with quick research they say you can crush some activated charcoal and mix with water then use syringe to give him that. But I would watch if he is active and eats and poops maybe I don't know, I hope he'll be alright, maybe some diarrhea just as I said make him eat more hay and drink more fluids

Poor Coca :( I'm sorry to hear that your bunny ate some snake plants. Unfortunately, many websites, including the SPCA and vet sites, do list this plant as toxic to cats and dogs, and it's possible that it could also be toxic to rabbits. It's always best to err on caution and contact your vet if you have any concerns.

Poor Coca :( I'm sorry to hear that your bunny ate some snake plants. Unfortunately, many websites, including the SPCA and vet sites, do list this plant as toxic to cats and dogs, and it's possible that it could also be toxic to rabbits. It's always best to err on caution and contact your vet if you have any concerns.
Be sure to note the date on posts. This one is close to 3 years old.

Latest posts

Back