Snake found in Oxbow hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrystal

Reaction score
I found a snake in my oxbow Timothy hay. safe to say I was a bit traumatised. I can't understand how they can claim to hand select this hay when I found a dried up crusty snake in my bag. Resized_20190627_191926_9021.jpeg

Contact them. They'll likely either send you a new bag or offer credit. That's the unfortunate part about hay, it's from nature :p. It can be hard to control what gets gathered up in the field during the baling process. I'm sure it's easy to pass over something small like that and miss it.

I guess dried is better than live :eek: Yeah, that was a bit of a surprise for you I'm sure.

Indeed, it's unfortunate. Thankfully it's not terribly common. More common than snakes is birds actually!

And I'm in agreement - if you email their customer service with pictures, they typically send you a free bag. They do a great job on that end, the few times it happens.

Compressed bales--not every straw is handled by hand. 5 decades ago I worked for a tomato processing plant that is associated with 57 varieties. When the trucks dumped and the stuff floated by the sorters, not all the snakes, rats, birds, or assorted disgusting things got pulled out and this was for human consumption. I'd let them know for sure.

Compressed bales--not every straw is handled by hand. 5 decades ago I worked for a tomato processing plant that is associated with 57 varieties. When the trucks dumped and the stuff floated by the sorters, not all the snakes, rats, birds, or assorted disgusting things got pulled out and this was for human consumption. I'd let them know for sure.

Oh GREAT Larry! Thanks for that! I don't know that I will ever think of eating processed food products the same way ever again :p

Ha! I guess that gives a new meaning to '57 varieties!' :eek:

Thanks for all the replies! I deffinitly intend on contacting them today! I know they have pretty great customer service, with past experiences with low quality hay. I was just so alarmed when I pulled out that guy with a handful of hay. Looks like the poor dude was roasted up with the hay.

Latest posts

Back