Smitten

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still not standing but did try earlier to get up. She managed to scoot from her pen to the bedroom rather quickly. I just went and check on her. She gave me "Do you mind. I want my privacy" look.

She really looks as if she wants to take off and just cannot

Don't do this until someone else advises on it but when my greyhounds back legs were giving out on him (he was 15) we sometimes would put a long towel under his bellyto helphold him up
this could be dangerous for a bun with spinal issues but it was just a thought
I am so afraid her skin will break down . :(

If this is arthritis (or EC) as opposed to a spinal injury, using a sling to help her walk should be fine. Just go slowly and start with short sessions.

Check out the videos of Cocoa in a sling here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12158&forum_id=10

He has one bad leg (I think arthritis?) and has been this way for a few years now. He's into his teens and doing ok, the last I heard. Arlette is really active on some other bun forums and could probably answer some questions. I'm pretty sure she's on the Disabled Bunny email list. If you're not sure where that is, send a pm to TreasuredFriend and she'll get you the address you need. Unless someone else here remembers?

If the weather is nice enough by you, Smitten might also like being outside on the grass. I know TreasuredFriend's two disabled girls love it.

Smitten definitely wants to keep going! You're doing a great job with her.

Yeah, she definitely looks alert and enjoying her time out of the cage, although she can't quite get up. Would a doggy-cart be helpful in her situation to help her get around during playtime? She might enjoy that. I would be a bit worried about her legs and urine burn though. I have read in the House Rabbit Society book that you can put infant diapers on bunnies with hind-end mobility issues to make urine less of an irritant. Big hugs to you and yours...

I'm going to get the diapers as soon I can. I used them when Simon was ill. Dr. Duggan did suggest that and the cart. I can swing the diapers right now but the cart, even a used one, will have to wait until I catch up on other things first. She is doing well. I did put an old bed sheet down on the carpet but she promptly crawled off it and took off into the bedroom. I will monitor her for now.

Hugs - I know what those vet bills are like when times are tough and the loved ones need medical care.:hug:

Hope Smitten and Pete are feeling better today.

Denise

I'm glad she's still fiesty. I also understand not getting her a cart yet--just didn't want to clutter the thread up with 100 posts that say "I agree". If you're at all handy, I think you could make one from PVC pipes or bits of wood by looking at the designs online, as well.

Good luck keeping her under control for those butt baths!

naturestee wrote:
Check out the videos of Cocoa in a sling here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12158&forum_id=10

He has one bad leg (I think arthritis?) and has been this way for a few years now. He's into his teens and doing ok, the last I heard. Arlette is really active on some other bun forums and could probably answer some questions. I'm pretty sure she's on the Disabled Bunny email list.
Just wanted to correct you. Cocoa has passed on a long time ago. I'm good friends with her, I talk to her a lot about Monsters. She has a lot of knowledge.

I hope smitten starts to hop on her own soon.:pray:

Still no hopping. I have to monitor her skin closely as she has one spot that is breaking down. I've been putting ointment on it. She doesn't like to lay on that side. I tried flipping her over today and she flipped herself back on to that side. I'm going to call the vet on Monday to see if she wants me to start her back on the antibiotic or better yet bring her back in.

it's hard to get them off the side that they are used to being on...

yeh skin breakdown is a problem
do you have flleece for her to lie on ?
can the disabled bun group give better suggestions....

As soon as have the money I will buy a fleece for her. I'm using towels right now. I change them frequently.

I think the paralysis is permanent. I can see the atrophy in the hind quarter muscles.

I'm definitely getting diapers or the puppy pads for her to lay on. I may have to wrap her feet with something. I'm concerned about sores. I noticed that she has spasms in her hind feet and they are rubbing against each other causing sores. I'm putting ointment on them.She doesn't need an infection.

Latest posts

Back