SMART ORGANIC SHOPPING

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
The full article can be found here:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/256222_organic19.html

But the gist of it that pertains mostly tobunnies is summarized as follows:

SMART ORGANIC SHOPPING

Research from Consumer Reports' February issue concludes that someitems are worth the organic price premium, but others might not bebecause their non-organic versions are less likely to be contaminatedwith pesticides, or they have weak standards associated with theorganic label.

BEST TO GET ORGANIC:

- Apples, bell peppers, celery, cherries, imported grapes, nectarines,peaches, pears, potatoes, raspberries, spinach, strawberries

- Meat, poultry, eggs and dairy

- Baby food

BUY ORGANIC ONLY IF PRICE DOESN'T MATTER:

- Asparagus, avocados, bananas, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, kiwi, mangoes, onions, papayas, pineapples, sweet peas

- breads, oils, potato chips, pasta, cereals, canned and dried fruits and vegetables

For the few farmers who are truely organic inheart, they produce amazing crops of healthy natural veggies and fruit.The downside to this, most of those farmer are individuals who farm forthemselves.

For the commercial organic farmer who outputs the products you buy inthe store, the ball game is totally different. They usepestacides just as much as the traditional farmer, the difference beingthat their pestacide is "organic".

For example normal farmers use BT ready crops. (BT is a neurotoxinproduced by a bacteria that is only harmful to moths and butterfly lifecycles and not harmful to humans).

Bt ready crops mean the plants are engineered to now produce the BT toxin on their own and to secrete it by themselves.

Organic farmers spray their crops with this pestacide as it comes from a "natural source".

Organic farmers use other pestacides such as permethyrin androtenonethat areextracted from fungus and they areone of the most lethal pestacides on the market. They just killeverything. More so than any synthetic chemical pestacide out there.

SO I am not by any means saying dont buy organic. I personallybuy it myself, I find the quality of the product is better b/c even thoit is still produced commerically, its on a smaller scale and thusbetter.

But what I do want to make a point of, is dont be swayed into buyingorganic b/c you think they are not pestacide treated or altered in anyway. They are just as bad in the sense, just in a different way. Theexample I listed are just one a few.

SO make sure to wash your fruits and veggies well! :)

Latest posts

Back