Smaller kit-should i feed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieRae

Reaction score
I have 4 day old kits in the nest box. 1 of them looks a bit runty, he doesn't look as plump as his 4 siblings. Should i flip mama and let him nurse? Or supplement him?
I included pics just because. Haha

Attachments

• 20181013_170940.jpg
    20181013_170940.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20181013_173511.jpg
    20181013_173511.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 20
He could have just missed out on the last feeding. I would help him get extra feedings from the mom. Mama's milk is always best. Plus supplemental hand feedings always pose a high risk of aspiration occurring, which most often is fatal.

Can't go wrong posting cute baby bunny pictures :)

With only four in the litter it shouldn’t be a problem getting a meal off Mom. Are the kits in a nest box where they’re confined? I would watch him, because if he continues to lag behind his siblings in size then there may be a health issue with him.

Yes, they are in a nest box. I have started weighing them daily. He is runty compared to the others, but not much smaller. At last weigh in he was .4oz smaller than the next smallest kit. So far he is doing well. He isn't a peanut, just the smallest of the bunch.

Latest posts

Back